Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 156 guests

Ships of the wall

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Ships of the wall
Post by Theemile   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:51 pm

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

HungryKing wrote:In A Grand Tour we saw an aristocrat from one of the more distant, relative to Manticore, star nations...

More to the point, the PRH was the only star nation that even vaugely in the League's weight class, for the matter, the Haven Octet was a major star nation, and the Haven 'Sector' pretty much defines the most well developed area outside the League.

In short, we pretty much know all the major players outside the league, yes there may be a dozen more places outside the league with battle squadrons, but they may probably can only kick loose a dozen or so for foreign use, each, in short, they are out gunned by tenth fleet alone.

HungryKing is correct. David mentioned awhile back that we have seen most of the major interstellar players and the other "sectors" are mostly populated by single star polities. Silensia and Haven were the 2 bigest polities outside of the SL. Haven was mentioned in OBS as having the 2nd largest fleet in the known universe. Manticore's ranking was never mentioned, but I doubt it was less than 5th at the time of OBS (and probably 3rd from what we've seen since).

We've seen just over 1/3 of the largest 25 Fleets, and only 2 of which are SDFs. It wouldn't suprise me if another 10 are SDFs, leaving only 5 or so slots for impressive fleets in the other 3/4ths of the map.
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by MAD-4A   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:41 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

HungryKing wrote:...More to the point, the PRH was the only star nation that even vaugely in the League's weight class, for the matter, the Haven Octet was a major star nation, and the Haven 'Sector' pretty much defines the most well developed area outside the League.

In short, we pretty much know all the major players outside the league, yes there may be a dozen more places outside the league with battle squadrons, but they may probably can only kick loose a dozen or so for foreign use, each, in short, they are out gunned by tenth fleet alone.

well yes the Haven sector is more developed due to the Manty wormhole junction but there's bound to be others to the "south" - perhaps more in line with Silesia in tech or the Andermani Empire in size. but with the finance to afford some wallers (even old outdated ones) remember the Turks still operated the SMS Goeben (WWI BC) till 1954 - 43 years of service with no real AA upgrade.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Duckk   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:47 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

It's worth reading David's responses in the linked topic. There are quite a few which explain why there isn't going to be a lot of large navies out there.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1958

Of particular importance is this one:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1958&p=38015

runsforcelery wrote:The Manticore Binary System's GSP is lower than a handful of the League's core systems (like Beowulf) which have been settled for upward of a thousand years and have maybe 6,000,000 to 10,000,000 citizens to the Manties 3,000,000 or so. I was perhaps overly emphatic to say they far outrank both the SKM and the RoH beause of the point I was making, but that was also because I was thinking in terms other than simply the absolute number of dollars in the till. The Manties' per capita GSP is higher by a very significant margin (and, yes, I used the word "significant" deliberately here) than that of any other known system, which is the reason I'd italicized "per capita" in my original post. All other things being equal, per capita GSP is a much better measurement than raw GSP of how much investment can be freed up for any specific purpose on a continuing, ongoing, long-term, capital-intensive basis (like building and maintaining a navy), so long as the competing economies are at least in shouting range of one another in absolute terms. Obviously, I'm not saying that there isn't a tipping point at which a larger, less productive-per-citizen economy can simply plow the smaller population under . . . which was, in fact, if you'll recall, what the PRH was more or less in a position to do to the SKM in the earlier days of the Havenite Wars. The Manty tech edge (made possible largely by the fact that they'd had more to invest in R&D during their Cold War with the PRH) allowed them to leverage their higher per capita GSP into a war machine that plowed the PRH under, instead, but that was not a foregone conclusion. Without the basic R&D, without "Horrible Hemphill," and without King Roger starting the military buildup early enough, the big, clunky, ramshackle PRH would have defeated the Manties through sheer attrition. The problem for any Verge power trying to field a force of wallers (historically) is that the ISLN had not simply the numbers and the industrial base on them (by a literally unimaginable percentage) but also had the tech edge on just about everybody until the Manties upset the applecart.

Two other points probably should also be discussed at this point. One is that the reason you haven't heard a lot about other star nations in the same league as Manticore and the People's Republic of Haven is that there aren't a lot of others. The Anderman Empire, the nearest thing they had to a true peer in their own region, was a lot smaller than the People's Republic, and a lot poorer than the Star Kingdom of Manticore. The other multi-star polities in the vicinity (or anywhere else in the Verge) were substantially smaller and weaker than the Andermani. The reason that you've been seeing Manticore and Haven for so long is because they were the guys who were big enough to fight it out with each other with really-oh, truly-oh battle fleets (which is the reason I chose to write about them and you chose to read about them [G]).

That brings me to the second point I wanted to address, because someone raised the question of whether or not Verge star nations/star systems might not have one or two SD squadrons in order to fight off their neighbors. I addressed that point in my original post on this topic: Vietnam doesn't buy super carriers to prevent Cambodia from poaching on their fishing grounds. Neither one of them can afford ships of that size or complexity, neither of them has the infrastructure to operate ships of that size or complexity, and neither of them has to worry about fighting somebody else in their vicinity (aside, possibly, from the PRC or Japan) with significantly greater capabilities than they possess. There's a reason that Jane's Fighting Ships used to have sections listing "minor navies." They simply aren't in the major navies' league, they can't afford to be, and they don't need to be.

The Imperial Andermani Navy's wall of battle was substantially smaller than that of Manticore in 1905, and even at the height of its buildup prior to Operation Thunderbolt, it was going to be much, much smaller because the Andermani were operating on the "risk fleet" theory. They didn't have to be as big or as powerful as Manticore to extort political and economic concessions out of the High Ridge government; they only had to be big enough and powerful enough that he would be unwilling to risk simultaneous military confrontations with the Empire and a resurgent Republic of Haven. Even so, the Empire's military investment was putting a very heavy drag on the Andermani economy, which was one reason the Emperor was so willing to join the Manticoran Alliance . . . as long as he got his half of Silesia and access to current first-line Manty military technology.

I use the Andermani as an example because the reader will be familiar with the Empire, because the Empire did have a wall of battle, and because as a militant star nation founded by a retired mercenary, it was willing to invest quite a bit more of its available GSP in its navy than probably 90% or better of other Verge nations.

For those of you who want superdreadnoughts roaming the Verge, I'm sorry, but there simply aren't going to be very many of them, and most of them are going to belong to navies you've already met. The economic strength to support viable squadrons of superdreadnoughts on any long-term basis simply doesn't exist, and neither does the threat which would on the one hand justify building superdreadnoughts and yet be deterrable by any battle fleet of wallers a Verge system could build.

You'll find quite a few cruiser-destroyer level Verge navies, and you'll find more than a handful, let's say, which have battlecruisers as their capital ships. You may even find a small number of sadly obsolete battleships which have found retirement homes in Verge navies who feel a need to overawe potential aggressors (or victims). And I won't absolutely rule out the possibility of finding one or two isolated, ancient dreadnoughts or even superdreadnoughts drifting around as they molder away. After all, the Brazilian navy had the Vikcers-built Minas Geraes and Sao Paulo from 1907 to the 1950s, and Chile had the Almirante Latorre from 1919 through the 1950s, while Argentina had the American-built Rivadavia and the Moreno from 1911 until 1957 and 1947, respectively, while Turkey had the Yavuz Sultan Selim (ex-Goeben)from 1914 until 1971, fer cryin’ out loud! So, yes, there may be some similar relics floating around out there, but I very much doubt that any of them would remain combatworthy, and none of them would have the support infrastructure to make them truly effective as a unit in a wall of battle. It’s just not going to happen, folks.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by MAD-4A   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:03 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

In any case, destroying those SDs (& Byng's BCs at New Tuscany) is just dumb - they may be obsolete by Manty (or even Haven) standards but are in no way out dated by SL standards - much less Silesian standards - several dozen of the wall is still several dozen of the wall which could be manned by Talbot crews & put on patrol there to protect against FF BC raids until better ships can be brought in. its like the story of the 2 hikers:

Two hikers were walking threw the woods. They come to a large clearing. On the other side of the clearing they see a huge rabid grizzly bear foaming at the mouth & running strait at them. One drops his pack, pulls out a pair of sneakers and sits down on a log to put them on. His friend looks down at him & says "what are you doing? you can't out run him!" the other jumps up & says "I don't have too - I just have to out run you!"

The ships don't have to out class everyone they just have to out class those they fight. a quick upgrade of the sensors & ECM to Manty standards & maybe retrofit Gayson nodes & they will out-class even the rest of the SL Navy & on the cheap! Byngs BCs would out-class anything else in Silesia & with Manty EW upgrades would out class any ships the SLN could send to Silesia for raiding (even other SL BCs).
Last edited by MAD-4A on Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-
Almost only counts in Horseshoes and Nuclear Weapons. I almost got the Hand-Grenade out the window does not count.
Post by Duckk   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:07 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

David has already weighed in on the Alliance using the SLN ships in Alliance service. They're not useful in any capacity for Manticore.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4868
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by MAD-4A   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:11 pm

MAD-4A
Captain of the List

Duckk wrote:David has already weighed in on the Alliance using the SLN ships in Alliance service. They're not useful in any capacity for Manticore.

Sure they are - the Mantys my turn there nose up at them, as I pointed out they still match or beat anything the SL can send against them & with the yards gone - something is better than nothing! crew them and put them on the Talbot cluster to protect against SL incursions (SDs with same tech are still SDs)
-
Post by kzt   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:16 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Duckk wrote:David has already weighed in on the Alliance using the SLN ships in Alliance service. They're not useful in any capacity for Manticore.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4868

They are possibly useful when given to other people who you don't trust with RMN tech, largely because they are not a real threat to RMN or capital RHN/IAN units but are a threat to a FF DD or BC.
Post by MaxxQ   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:19 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

MAD-4A wrote:In any case, destroying those SDs (& Byng's BCs at New Tuscany) is just dumb - they may be obsolete by Manty (or even Haven) standards but are in no way out dated by SL standards - much less Silesian standards - several dozen of the wall is still several dozen of the wall which could be manned by Talbot crews & put on patrol there to protect against FF BC raids until better ships can be brought in.

What Talbot crews?

There aren't any. Not enough for low-manpower RMN ships, let alone the multi-thousands needed per SLN SD.

First off, the education system in Talbot needs to be raised to Manticoran standards, which will take a few years before it starts cranking out edumacated people. Then, Talbot will have to send these newly-educated people to either Saganami Island or its Talbot equivalent, which will take *another* few years before they graduate.

On top of that, at best, Saganami Island can only graduate a few thousand middies per year - enough to maybe provide middies for a few SDs. Meanwhile, those middies are going to have to be commanded by officers who are far above the middie rank.

Where are those officers going to come from?

Now, that's just for officers and training officer-candidates. Which are only a fraction of the personnel required for a ship - especially an SLN ship. You have to go through pretty much the same thing I listed above for all the enlisted ratings as well.

By the time Talbot has enough people to crew all those high-manpower-requirement SLN ships, the RMN/RHN/GSN shipyards will be producing their own, *better* ships requiring far less manpower.

Yes, Talbot has people who can operate ships, but how many *warships* does the Talbot quadrant actually have of its own, and what *types* are they? LACs, for the most part, and few enough of those to begin with. Certainly not enough to sprinkle the few people with experience among all those obsolete and useless SDs.
Post by kzt   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:24 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:What Talbot crews?

There aren't any. Not enough for low-manpower RMN ships, let alone the multi-thousands needed per SLN SD.

Well, the fleet of SDs they built during the first war tends to suggest that they can in fact do that. The main thing they were lacking (and greatly annoyed them) was the technology upgrades, which could well be supplied.
Post by n7axw   » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:25 pm

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Theemile wrote:
HungryKing wrote:In A Grand Tour we saw an aristocrat from one of the more distant, relative to Manticore, star nations...

More to the point, the PRH was the only star nation that even vaugely in the League's weight class, for the matter, the Haven Octet was a major star nation, and the Haven 'Sector' pretty much defines the most well developed area outside the League.

HungryKing is correct. David mentioned awhile back that we have seen most of the major interstellar players and the other "sectors" are mostly populated by single star polities. Silensia and Haven were the 2 bigest polities outside of the SL. Haven was mentioned in OBS as having the 2nd largest fleet in the known universe. Manticore's ranking was never mentioned, but I doubt it was less than 5th at the time of OBS (and probably 3rd from what we've seen since).

We've seen just over 1/3 of the largest 25 Fleets, and only 2 of which are SDFs. It wouldn't suprise me if another 10 are SDFs, leaving only 5 or so slots for impressive fleets in the other 3/4ths of the map.

I think if I were responsible for making the choice, everyone's older SDs would be scrapped. If nothing else, prevent arms proliferation. Does anyone recall what current numbers of SDPs were in RMN at time of Manticore 2? IIRC RMN lost about 140 in Manticore 1 against Haven, abt 50 of whic were old style pre pod SDs. At the Yawata strike the new generation wallers had vacatd their slips to start working up at Trevor's Star. I'm not sure how many that was. Hamish commented prior to being aware of alliance with Haven that RMN had abt 400 wallers available and felt completely confident of dealing with Filareta. At Manticore 2, Honor had 20 SDPs, Grayson provided 150, and Haven came up with 250. We also know that Alice Truman had 60 SDPs in Beowulf to face down Tsang.

By my calculation, I find only 80 Manticorian SDPs for that day. Taking Hamish's word for the numbers, I am missing a lot of podnaughts... Where are the rest?? Or are my mumbers off? Has anyone else come up with a different set of numbers?

Don :?:
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse