Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 134 guests

Manticore's National Anthem

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: I Meant British And Not English
Post by Dafmeister   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:42 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Northstar wrote:
You may have a point, but what drunk could possibly sing that???

I'd say all of them, since I've never heard a performance of it that didn't sound like it was being sung by a drunk.
Post by Northstar   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:
Northstar wrote:
You may have a point, but what drunk could possibly sing that???

I'd say all of them, since I've never heard a performance of it that didn't sound like it was being sung by a drunk.

Love this observation. :D

re another post: Wasn't the Grayson founder from Wyoming or somewhere there abouts? Hmmm...thus the Western music thing.

Grayson anthem. Home on the Range. :)

Solarian League anthem: You're So Vain You probably Think This Song Is About You. :lol:
Post by MaxxQ   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:51 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Northstar wrote:
Dafmeister wrote:I'd say all of them, since I've never heard a performance of it that didn't sound like it was being sung by a drunk.

re another post: Wasn't the Grayson founder from Wyoming or somewhere there abouts? Hmmm...thus the Western music thing.

Solarian League anthem: You're So Vain You probably Think This Song Is About You. :lol:

That's an insult to Carly Simon. And purportedly, Warren Beatty. :mrgreen:
Post by Northstar   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:26 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
Northstar wrote:

That's an insult to Carly Simon. And purportedly, Warren Beatty. :mrgreen:

No it isn't, Carly would agree with me, I'm sure... presuming she reads Honorverse novels, of course. :lol:

And Warren surely deserved it, too. :P

Erewon... The Godfather Theme, of course 8-)
Re: Manticore's National Anthem
Post by Michael Everett   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Michael Everett
Admiral

I read somewhere that in general, the longer the anthem, the more tyrannical the government.
Interesting, huh?
~~~~~~

I can't write anywhere near as well as Weber
But I try nonetheless, And even do my own artwork.

(Now on Twitter)and mentioned by RFC!
ACNH Dreams at DA-6594-0940-7995
Post by kzt   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:49 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Michael Everett wrote:I read somewhere that in general, the longer the anthem, the more tyrannical the government.
Interesting, huh?

The star spangled banner is a lot longer than the part they sing at baseball games.
Post by crewdude48   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:56 pm

crewdude48
Commodore

kzt wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:I read somewhere that in general, the longer the anthem, the more tyrannical the government.
Interesting, huh?

The star spangled banner is a lot longer than the part they sing at baseball games.

True, but to be fair, nobody knows verses 2 through 4. In fact, so the story goes, during the cold war, the USSR used to train infiltrators so well that if the CIA suspected somebody, they would ask them to sing the second verse. If they could, it was assumed that they were Soviet spies.
Post by pokermind   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:07 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Here's one for Grayson sung to the tune of Dixie:

Grayson Land

Dave Cleric & Space Cat First Mangy Fur

Oh, I wish I was on the planet Grayson,
Technology there is soon forgotten,
Look away, look away, look away Grayson Land.

In Grayson Land where I was born on,
Early on one toxic morn-on,
Look away! Look away! Look away! Grayson Land.

Da Protectortis marry "David M. Weber,"
David was a gay deceaber;

But when he put his arm around'er,
He smiled as fierce as a full charged grazer,

Dar's Heavy Metal Toxens an Poison Plants,
Makes you Dead or a little deader;

Den de-toxify de ground an scratch your grabble,
To planet Grayson I'm bound to trabble.

Poker :lol:
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by RHWoodman   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:53 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

Bill Woods wrote:
Northstar wrote:I hope they come up with something better than The Star Spangled Banner, which is horrible to try to sing and weird as a national anthem.

It's not hard to sing as long as you pitch it right. I.e., if you're not Whitney Houston, don't try to sing it way up there. In the first line, "Oh-hoh say can you see"*, 'say' is the lowest note of the entire song. Put that at the very bottom of your range and you're good to go for the rest, even the "la-hand of the free" bit at the end.

Isaac Asimov singing 'The Star Spangled Banner': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXulnF3twtQ

* aka "Oh José, can you see".

As a singer, I love "The Star Spangled Banner." It's a challenging piece to sing, and more challenging to sing well. On the other hand, I never would have chosen it for a national anthem. It is too difficult for ordinary voices to sing; the range is too wide for normal, untrained voices, and the phrasing (part of singing it well) requires more breath support than most people can give. As I get older (now 52), even I have trouble maintaining the necessary breath support for properly phrasing the song.

As I said, I love the song, but I think we'd be better served in this country by "My Country 'Tis of Thee" or "God Bless America" as a national anthem.

Just my personal opinion. YMMV.
Post by Northstar   » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

RHWoodman wrote:
As a singer, I love "The Star Spangled Banner." It's a challenging piece to sing, and more challenging to sing well. On the other hand, I never would have chosen it for a national anthem. It is too difficult for ordinary voices to sing; the range is too wide for normal, untrained voices, and the phrasing (part of singing it well) requires more breath support than most people can give. As I get older (now 52), even I have trouble maintaining the necessary breath support for properly phrasing the song.

As I said, I love the song, but I think we'd be better served in this country by "My Country 'Tis of Thee" or "God Bless America" as a national anthem.

Just my personal opinion. YMMV.

Isn't 'My Country Tis of Thee' -which I like, btw - set to the same tune as God Save the Queen? :D Might cause some 'whose anthem' confusions, eh?

For the GA ... tongue in cheek, The Lion Sleeps Tonight

Victor Cachet's personal theme anthem. Peter Gunn Theme. It plays witlessly in my head when he has a scene. ;)

Return to Honorverse