Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 53 guests

(SPOILERS) Comic review(s)

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
(SPOILERS) Comic review(s)
Post by Rastrelly   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:34 am

Rastrelly
Midshipman

So, OK, guys. Let's talk serious. There are rants for the sake of rant, and there are critical remarks. I'll try to stay in critical territory for as long as possible. Also sorry for possible grammar/phrase building mistakes.

Tales of Honor #1 is out, so I ran to Comixology and bought a digital copy. Aaand what I was afraid of has completely happened.

Now, there is such a sweet thing as pacing. And this story is paced horribly. Now, I'm a fan of Honorverse, and I read pretty much everything I could get, but let's suppose I'm a newcommer. And I'm instantly overflooded with long intro text, some strange torture scenes performed by some strange women, then broken by memories of the tortured one, who is a starship captain, right?.. - and she shoots someone with some strange triangular thing and brought a tiger to a starship with herself.

So, what is my point? This concept does not work! At all! Pages spent on Ransom's evilness should be spent on Honor's establishment. A scene with Nimitz and Honor flying to Haephestus would be much more useful then a hundred of captions. More scenes with the crew, with ship examining, these would build the future story so much better. In it's current state the comic is a mess. I would just stop reading it from here on, if I didn't know what's coming (both on Tepes and on Basilisk Station).

There are a couple of fine moments, where I see there is a potentially great moments. Crew reacting on Honor - great! Scenes with Young - a bit too simplified, but still great! Operation planning sequence - wonderful (again, I have to rant about tactical map design - it's plain useless)! But all Tepes scenes are just not needed. They are simply ruining all the pacing of the story, waking it look rushed. There are zero characters established in the first issue. Zero! Even Honor herself, being "on screen" all the time!

I may be wrong, of course. But I do think that current course with comics can end up being a crash course. The story has to be less rushed, it must flow, not ram into reader.
Re: (SPOILERS) Comic review(s)
Post by BattleFalcon   » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:18 pm

BattleFalcon
Midshipman

To be honest, I could live with most of that. The grav lance dual emitting thing is pretty, but way too Death Star. Also, most ship interiors are on the big side. That bridge could double as a cathedral... way too much room, not enough duty stations, and what's there doesn't seem to be arranged in anything resembling an efficient layout. But all that is minor stuff.

The real kick in the teeth is Nimitz. That beast isn't a treecat. That thing is a HUGE flat grey, fur-less, prehensile-tail-less plainsrunner with an extra pair of limbs pretty much tacked onto a terrestrial big dog frame. I'm sorry, but I am completely unable to envision that thing happily scampering along tree branches. Or managing to perch on anyone's shoulder without tipping them both over, or just dumping itself into a convenient lap for a belly rub. Or surviving a Sphinx winter without its fluffy, cream-and-grey fur.

Also the face looks like Doctor von Doom's mask. Granted 'cats are an alien species and shouldn't look precisely like terrestrial cats, but this one looks like it wants to rip someone's throat out in every frame.

End rant. Sincere apologies to anyone offended by this, but I just had to let off some steam.
Post by smr   » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:26 pm

smr
Vice Admiral

Jeez! You guys are a tough crowd!
Post by Michael Riddell   » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:43 pm

Michael Riddell
Captain (Junior Grade)

smr wrote:Jeez! You guys are a tough crowd!

Nah, just incredibly discerning! :twisted:

Mike. ;)
---------------------
Gonnae no DAE that!

Why?

Just gonnae NO!
---------------------
Post by smr   » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:08 am

smr
Vice Admiral

Is there a place I get the comic in digital form from the publisher or the creator's website?
Post by Telra   » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:42 am

Telra
Captain (Junior Grade)

http://www.eatyourcomics.com/2014/03/04/review-tales-of-honor-1/

Here, an image can be found from the comic (as far as i understand, didnt buy it, not sold over here, thos who did pls confirm) with nimitz in it, especially the face...

The good news:
Nimitz is not a blue lizard/biometal/alien thing anymore

The bad news:
Thats the only good news there is regarding Nimitz, well his looks at least. His 'face'...is giving me nightmares....

If i ever find the 'artist' that did Nimitz/concept/whatever........i will be very mean to him...
Post by Starsaber   » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:34 am

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

smr wrote:Is there a place I get the comic in digital form from the publisher or the creator's website?

This isn't the publisher website, but I believe it is their only digital distributor https://www.comixology.com/Tales-of-Hon ... ries/14996
Post by pokermind   » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:06 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

There is a site from the comic people http://tales-of-honor.com/. Generally people don't like the new Nimitz here he is:

The image comes from the above link. For more discussion of the comic to the sub forum above http://forums.davidweber.net/viewforum.php?f=19 including a message from the comic book writer. Generally people don't like the new Nimitz. Duckk moved the posts on the general Honorverse forum to the above sub-forum, and may move this one up there too so if it disappears you know where it went ;)

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by MaxxQ   » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:49 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

pokermind wrote:
<snip>

Duckk moved the posts on the general Honorverse forum to the above sub-forum, and may move this one up there too so if it disappears you know where it went ;)

Poker

Probably be better to merge it with this one: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5328

...since both are basically review threads.
Post by Uroboros   » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:55 pm

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

I still haven't seen a Nimitz that really captures what he's supposed to look like. It's not bad, though. At least this one looks furry and sort-of cute in an alien sort of way.

Return to Honorverse