Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests

Here comes a candle

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Here comes a candle
Post by Dafmeister   » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:08 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

Eagleeye wrote:My two cents say that Elizabeth will be assassinated, so that Roger and Rivka can show us the mettle they're made from ...

And Benjamin will die soon, but maybe not by assassination but from illness or old age. After all, he didn't get the prolong-therapies ... (by the way - why not? His student times on old earth were after the therapies got common knowledge, weren't they? Or was he already too old even for 1st generation Prolong?)

RFC's addressed that point. Benjamin's father could have got him prolong therapy, but given that it wasn't available on Grayson he felt that it would be both morally wrong and politically stupid to give his son a couple of centuries of life more than his subjects would enjoy (a policy that Benjamin himself wholeheartedly agrees with, btw). By the time the alliance with Manticore brought prolong to Grayson itself, Benjamin was far too old to receive it.
Post by Kornati-Split   » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Kornati-Split
Ensign

I predict a wholesale carnage of the senior part of the officer corps in the Solarian League...Colour me gleeful :D
As for familiar characters meeting the Maker.. I'd say people closest to the League are in most danger, no?
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:53 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:snip
And Mateo Guttierrez is on the same hit-list.
snip

I think so too. He buys it protecting Abby on Seraphim liasing with the Grahams.
Post by pilotus   » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:11 pm

pilotus
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Maybe Emily?
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:15 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Clause and Stacy Hauptman are on a real short list. I am surprised they are still alive.
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:51 pm

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Eagleeye wrote:My two cents say that Elizabeth will be assassinated, so that Roger and Rivka can show us the mettle they're made from ...

And Benjamin will die soon, but maybe not by assassination but from illness or old age. After all, he didn't get the prolong-therapies ... (by the way - why not? His student times on old earth were after the therapies got common knowledge, weren't they? Or was he already too old even for 1st generation Prolong?)

He's only 51, he should be good for a while, especially with modern medicine.

I hadn't even considered Elizabeth! How sad would that be, assassinated just like her father. :shock: (God, her poor mother.)
Post by Amaroq   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 am

Amaroq
Captain of the List

PeterZ wrote:Clause and Stacy Hauptman are on a real short list. I am surprised they are still alive.

Good point, although the Detweilers mention at some point that the Hauptmans' security is very good and that's why they haven't been taken out.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:53 am

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

That's an area where I expect a lot of plot hand-waving-- their security can't be better than Honor's aboard her own flagship, for example. The choice of who gets assassinated and who doesn't is always going to owe more to plot than actual security.

You know who else I think is going to go out in a blaze of glory? Jeremy X.
Post by glott   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:00 am

glott
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

Amaroq wrote:
PeterZ wrote:Clause and Stacy Hauptman are on a real short list. I am surprised they are still alive.

Good point, although the Detweilers mention at some point that the Hauptmans' security is very good and that's why they haven't been taken out.

Also, when the Detweilers were discussing the possibility of assassinating Klaus and Stacey, Collin Detweiler (IIRC) told his father that if they both died Honor would inherit the Hauptman fortune and Albrecht decided that result would be a "bad" thing.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

"...the ability of an entrenched, bureaucratic military to ignore anything which challenges its fundamental working assumptions simply cannot be exaggerated." - David Weber
Post by n7axw   » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:58 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

Goodness! What a dreary thread...

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse