Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests

Here comes a candle

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Here comes a candle
Post by Hutch   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:25 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

NortonIDaughter wrote: Sure! It's just that his Naughty and Nice lists go something like:

Nice: Stacey
Naughty: Everyone else

Tolerable (in small doses and when she is with Stacey): Honor Harrington
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Hutch   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:28 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

NortonIDaughter wrote: What do we think of Kevin Usher's chances of getting out of all this alive?

Fair to middling--he's no longer a field operative, so his job will be more in the realm of politics and organization instead of out there where the pulser darts are flying.

Not that there can't be a surprise attack or a nano-attack that may require the supreme sacrifice from him.

But that's just going to make Ginny angry--and you don't want to see her angry...
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:52 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Direwolf18 wrote:
cthia wrote:Wait one New York minute!
Naomi does not have to die for Abby to command.
Abby just needs to take her pampered, though very pretty ass back home!

And I'm with you.
I'll even walk to the polls, uphill in the freezing driven rain, without shoes, or umbrella, to cast a vote for her if need be.

Does she HAVE to? No, but we are going with the condensed timeline cause Honor got to live thanks to Eric Flint. So yea getting emotionally attached to Naomi is like getting emotionally attached to a gold fish, you know its not going to last.

Nonsense! Naomi is a captain to Abby's very young tac officer. Abby needs time in grade before she gets the exec slot and the exec slot before she finds a ship of her own. That spells a longer life for Naomi to allow for Abby's planet side escapdes. She can't do that as captain or exec.

Naomi survives for some time yet to provide Abby with a model for a personality completely opposite of that she is accostomed to in a woman.
Post by TheMonster   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:16 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

PeterZ wrote:Nonsense! Naomi is a captain to Abby's very young tac officer. Abby needs time in grade before she gets the exec slot and the exec slot before she finds a ship of her own. That spells a longer life for Naomi to allow for Abby's planet side escapdes. She can't do that as captain or exec.

Naomi survives for some time yet to provide Abby with a model for a personality completely opposite of that she is accostomed to in a woman.

Indeed, she'll probably get a shot as exec on a tin can before she gets her first hyper-capable command (she might be given command of a LAC even before she gets to be exec of a hyper-capable ship). If anything happens to Naomi and Tallman in the forseeable future, most likely Fonzarelli gets acting command, not Abby, and as soon as the Admiralty can get someone more senior to take over, they do.

Edit to add: In fact, if Tristram is operating as part of a division or squadron when Kaplan and Tallman both are disabled or killed, the flag officer might send the XO of one of the other ships to take command of Tristram, unless the ship is so badly damaged that letting Fonzarelli oversee nursing her back to the nearest base for repairs is the most logical move.

In that particular case, Abby might find herself pressed into service as acting XO just like Naomi was after Monica, and Fonzarelli would let her take care of pretty much everything other than repairs while he focuses on them.
Post by drothgery   » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:49 pm

drothgery
Admiral

TheMonster wrote:Indeed, she'll probably get a shot as exec on a tin can before she gets her first hyper-capable command (she might be given command of a LAC even before she gets to be exec of a hyper-capable ship).
I think it's unlikely she gets a LAC; the RMN and GSN can say what it wants about making assignments strictly on ability, but Abby (or Rachel Mayhew, or Joanna Winton if she joins the Navy) is much too important to be risked in something as fragile as a LAC on a combat deployment.
Post by Eagleeye   » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:04 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

TheMonster wrote:In that particular case, Abby might find herself pressed into service as acting XO just like Naomi was after Monica, and Fonzarelli would let her take care of pretty much everything other than repairs while he focuses on them.

If I remember correctly, it was Nagchaudhuri, who was acting XO after Monica, because both Naomi Kaplan and and Ansten FitzGerald were seriously wounded. Naomi was even returned to Manticore because of the severity of her wounds.
Post by TheMonster   » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:12 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Eagleeye wrote:
TheMonster wrote:In that particular case, Abby might find herself pressed into service as acting XO just like Naomi was after Monica, and Fonzarelli would let her take care of pretty much everything other than repairs while he focuses on them.

If I remember correctly, it was Nagchaudhuri, who was acting XO after Monica, because both Naomi Kaplan and and Ansten FitzGerald were seriously wounded. Naomi was even returned to Manticore because of the severity of her wounds.

/me slaps forhead.

I believe you remember correctly as well.
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:48 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

I was just wondering about the survivability of Colonel Ellen Shemais, Elizabeth's Andrew LaFollet. The MA might try some foolish assassination attempt on either her or Pritchart (or both) and I have a bad feeling that any chief bodyguards in that situation might be casualties. Of course this train of through means that Sheila Thiessen could be in the target sights as well...
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Northstar   » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Northstar
Rear Admiral

Alice.

The head of the Beowulf forces working with Alice against the Sollies, can't dredge up her name, sorry.

Ginny Usher.

Uncle Jacques.

Each of these, though relatively minor characters, could provide a big kick in the gut to various major characters, which could then set off assorted plot twists, as the author finds useful.

I hope Daud & Co are safe for now, why build up that thread just to zap it this quick? Maybe later, but I hope not. I find them very interesting. Smartest people in the SL.

Barregos would throw a spanner in the Maya Sector works.

Walter from Erewhon just to driver everyone nuts trying to figure out who and why. :twisted:

The Sol Assembly and blame it on the Manties. Massive act of terrorism!!!!!!!!! Evil Manties!!!!!!!!
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:59 am

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Assuming space battles really enter into it (the debate rages, I know)-- I could see Tourville going out in a blaze of glory.

Return to Honorverse