Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 48 guests

Favorite Honorverse Battle

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Favorite Honorverse Battle
Post by arduskaine   » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:03 pm

arduskaine
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

Battle of Monica is the best, so one sided :D
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Kysterick wrote:
cthia wrote:Oops, I forgot. Now she has given me homework.
She keeps reading about the similarities of Honor to Horatio Hornblower.

To be honest I've never read it. So my niece insists that we read it together! But I think it's a series. So she's asking big bucks.

What can I say but to acquiesce, gees!

I have to agree with your niece on reading Hornblower, excellent series and author to read.

For my favorite, at the moment I would say First Yeltsin; Due to small scale combat(much more personal), Honor asking for the music as it commenced, and I think it is one of the better representations of who Honor is.

I like First Yeltsin as well. For so many pointed reasons.

Honor was outgunned. Her ship was damaged.

But can you imagine what that did for her likeability quotient in the eyes of the Graysons when they saw pinpricks of destruction in the heavens above denoting the battles a previously unliked off-worlder was fighting for their world against Masadan fanatics intent on destroying them?

But I could only pick one so I went with Crandall getting reamed.

As NortonIDaughter pointed out, my niece is evil.
It really is difficult to pick just one.

Also, if I am not mistaken, watching those battles is what motivated Abigail Hearns to join.

Thanks for the nod to read Hornblower.
I'm looking forward to it more and more.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:
KNick wrote:It sounds like she needs her own account here. If she knows the books that well, she should be able to hold her own with most of us. She might be able to teach us a few things.

Sooooo.... get her her own account. What? Chicken? Afraid she'll show you up? Cluck, cluck, cluck.

I promise to be nice to your niece if she gets an account.

I still say that the battle ofCerbus was predicated onthepeeps sufferringfrom a severe cranial-rectal insertion. How else can you not see a fusion rocket accelerating a one million ton BC at over 100,000 gees.

Rocket equations:

Force = mass flow rate x exhaust velocity

Mass flow rate = F / Ve

KE of exhaust = 1/2 x mass x (exhaust velocity)^2

Power of exhaust =. 2 x mass flow rate x (exhaust velocity)^2

Substituting:

Power = 2 x Force x Ve

Ve for a fusion rocket is 1/10 Cee

Force = 1eex9 kg x 1,000 m/sxs = 1eex12 Newtons

Power = 1eex12 Newtons x 3eex7m/s = 3eex19 Watts

Comparison, Earth insolation is 1,400 Watts per square meter x 1eex14 square meter =
1.4eex17 Watts.

The Peeps could not see a rocket exhaust that was 200 times brighter than a planet.

Oops, forgot to post...

My niece was fascinated by your work. My sister is a bit upset because she always gets pulled into these type conversations and she won't let it go. She is quite anal. So I only allowed her a quick glance at your calculations. But I am certain she'll be giving it short attention on her own. I will see her again in two weeks. We see each other every other weekend. She lives two hours away.

But, she says, on the ride back that your calculations didn't take into account the propagation of light. Light is directed she says. Like a flashlight, no matter how bright the light, if the source is directed away from you.

You can place the bottom end of a flashlight right against your eyes.

And the particles in a vacuum exist at a minimum compared to atmospheric particulates minimizing dispersion from refracted photons.

In other words the ship would act as one giant flashlight directing the energy and light away from Peep's sensors unless flipped on end with kilt radiating towards Peep's sensors.

Your calculations does not include the angle of radiated light. She says the ships would serve to reflect the light away, instead of the light dispersing in a spherical wave pattern.

Also the plane of each ship would become important as well.

She wants to attend HonorCon. As of now our plans are to attend Nov.1.

We will be there for certain as it is being host in a city that's practically on top of us.

You can meet her then!

My sister and I couldn't shut her up, and sis just got another reason to keep her off the site.

And her eyes can be levelled missile batteries as well!!!

My niece stays quite busy.

Personally I cannot overthink sci-fi. I never have. Never will. I couldn't enjoy it then.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:46 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

No, hot gasses emit energy (light) omnidirectionaly. They also expand beyond the ship masking very fast.
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

kzt wrote:No, hot gasses emit energy (light) omnidirectionaly. They also expand beyond the ship masking very fast.

Oh please don't ask me to pass that on!

Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:07 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
kzt wrote:No, hot gasses emit energy (light) omnidirectionaly. They also expand beyond the ship masking very fast.

Oh please don't ask me to pass that on!

And she did say something about gasses as well thru all of her incessant rambling!

I'll wait and let her post.

Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

For the other side, I like Esther McQueen's defense of Trevor's Star.

What a waste that she died!

Post by Bill Woods   » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:55 am

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

arduskaine wrote:Battle of Monica is the best, so one sided :D
"One sided"? If memory serves, that was the last engagement that wasn't one sided. The Monican navy got trashed, but so did Terekhov's squadron.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by SaganamiFan   » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:07 am

SaganamiFan
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

This may sound cheesy, but I have to go with First Basilisk. Reading it was just so intense, so personal, so one on one. Like seeing Das Boot or Hunt for Red October for the first time as a kid.

There were a lot of awesome battles after that, but none made me feel quite like this.
Post by crewdude48   » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:50 am

crewdude48
Commodore

cthia wrote:
kusterick wrote:I have to agree with your niece on reading Hornblower, excellent series and author to read.

For my favorite, at the moment I would say First Yeltsin; Due to small scale combat(much more personal), Honor asking for the music as it commenced, and I think it is one of the better representations of who Honor is.

I like First Yeltsin as well. For so many pointed reasons.

Honor was outgunned. Her ship was damaged.

But can you imagine what that did for her likeability quotient in the eyes of the Graysons when they saw pinpricks of destruction in the heavens above denoting the battles a previously unliked off-worlder was fighting for their world against Masadan fanatics intent on destroying them?

But I could only pick one so I went with Crandall getting reamed.

As NortonIDaughter pointed out, my niece is evil.
It really is difficult to pick just one.

Also, if I am not mistaken, watching those battles is what motivated Abigail Hearns to join.

Thanks for the nod to read Hornblower.
I'm looking forward to it more and more.

Just for the record, Honor wasn't there for first Yeltsin. 1st was with the RMN destroyer and the GSN, when the Admirals died. Then was the battle of Blackbird. Then was 2nd Yeltsin, with Honor's death ride in her CA. 3rd was the trap at the start of the war. And 4th Yeltsin was Honor's death ride in her SDs.

Return to Honorverse