Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 140 guests

Favorite Honorverse Battle

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Favorite Honorverse Battle
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:20 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I have a 12 year old niece. She is the sweetest kid ever birthed. My sister's crowning glory for sure.

But sometimes, I could just arrrrrrggggggg...

Now is one of those times. As I post this she sits and laughs at me. She mocks me. She has tasked me.

She saunters up to me and asks "Uncle, which battle scene is your absolute favorite?"

"Well I like them all sweetie."

"But which is your absolute favorite, if you had to pick one?"

"But I like one because of...and another because of..."

"Just one Uncle!"

And I'm stumped. I can't just pick one.

"Chicken! Chicken!," she's taunting. Adolescents!

This is hard. I like them all, but since she's only allowing me one favorite it will have to be when Crandall got reamed. She came loaded for bear and no one could have told her she wouldn't make it back to Solarian space with Manticoran pelts skinned from their hides!

She put the cock in cocky.

So, What's your favorite battle y'all?
Cluck cluck. Chicken!

Nu uh uh! Just one! Then you may put them in order if you like. But it's difficult choosing just one.

My niece's favorite is Cerberus. She says there is no way Honor should have won that battle, and that the way she just pushed her ships and let them coast with power off was brilliant.

"It works too Uncle. I nailed you the same way."

We have water gun wars, she and I.
I have a super-soaker 200. She has a supersoaker 50, 20th anniversary edition.

We're in the pool house and I am posted up. Aiming at the only entrance awaiting her to walk into my little ambush as she always does.

Talk about a sneaky little...

She lies down on a skate board with felt wheels and slides into the room. She knew where I was. I'm always there! But I was aiming high. She was coasting in.

The sneaky little minx (thru gritted teeth) used Honors tactics on me! Why that little....

Squish! Right in the eyes. Before I could recover she was full-out blasting me. I slipped on the wooden floor and broke my gun! Game over.

Trust me y'all Honor's tactics are sound!
And my niece will never let me live it down.

I think I should commandeer all her Honorverse novels, this kid is dangerous!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Favorite Honorverse Battle
Post by profcough   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:28 pm

profcough
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

I agree with your niece about Cerberus, but the First Battle of Hancock is right up there.
Post by KNick   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:33 pm

KNick
Admiral

It sounds like she needs her own account here. If she knows the books that well, she should be able to hold her own with most of us. She might be able to teach us a few things.

Sooooo.... get her her own account. What? Chicken? Afraid she'll show you up? Cluck, cluck, cluck.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:41 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Second Manticore. Gotta be Second Manticore.

For the pure and simple reason that Thomas Theisman and Honor Harrington were sharing a flag deck.

If I live to be a thousand, I will still never be over that.

In terms of pure ingenuity, though... Cerberus takes the prize.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

KNick wrote:It sounds like she needs her own account here. If she knows the books that well, she should be able to hold her own with most of us. She might be able to teach us a few things.

Sooooo.... get her her own account. What? Chicken? Afraid she'll show you up? Cluck, cluck, cluck.

Trust me. I'd love for her to have an account. And I've been trying to talk my sister into it.

Don't hold your breath though. Sis doesn't think the internet should be the playground of young kids. She has a point you know, especially considering the age of many here.

I wouldn't say that she knows the series that well as she has only read the books I've read and I was recently pointed to an entire treasure trove of books I wasn't even aware of, like the anthologies.

I encourage my niece to read varied materials, and we discuss them. I pay her if she can hold her own in discussions. She's really quite good. $50 a book is plenty motivation for a 12 year old.

Her bank account is swelling. Mine not so much! :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:48 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:
KNick wrote:It sounds like she needs her own account here. If she knows the books that well, she should be able to hold her own with most of us. She might be able to teach us a few things.

Trust me. I'd love for her to have an account. And I've been trying to talk my sister into it.

Don't hold your breath though. Sis doesn't think the internet should be the playground of young kids. She has a point you know, especially considering the age of many here.

I wouldn't say that she knows the series that well as she has only read the books I've read and I was recently pointed to an entire treasure trove of books I wasn't even aware of, like the anthologies.

I encourage my niece to read varied materials, and we discuss them. I pay her if she can hold her own in discussions. She's really quite good. $50 a book is plenty motivation for a 12 year old.

Her bank account is swelling. Mine not so much! :lol:

Take it from someone who was once a twelve-year-old girl on the Internet: your sister is doing absolutely the right thing. :lol:

That said, if someone had been paying me $50 to hold my own in a debate, I think my debating skills would have developed much more rapidly....
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by cthia   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
Take it from someone who was once a twelve-year-old girl on the Internet: your sister is doing absolutely the right thing. :lol:

That said, if someone had been paying me $50 to hold my own in a debate, I think my debating skills would have developed much more rapidly....

I know what you mean rose. I would have been even smarter too with likewise incentives.

She gets:

A+ -> $100
A -> $75
A- -> $50
B+ -> $25
B- -> $5

Any grade < B she has to pay me $25.

She has over $11,000 in her account for various things.
She is also tops in her class. Honor roll every single year.
Valedictorian last year. Her teachers are amazed. My bank account isn't. My sister laughs!

Oops, I forgot. Now she has given me homework.
She keeps reading about the similarities of Honor to Horatio Hornblower.

To be honest I've never read it. So my niece insists that we read it together! But I think it's a series. So she's asking big bucks.

What can I say but to acquiesce, gees!

Post by Highlander1960   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:04 pm

Highlander1960
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

So many battles..but nothing beats Monica for sheer brass b***s

So yeah..Monica.

Your niece isn't considering a career in the military is she.. ;)
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:13 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Highlander1960 wrote:So many battles..but nothing beats Monica for sheer brass b***s

So yeah..Monica.

Your niece isn't considering a career in the military is she.. ;)

I have to agree. Monica was something, all right. (I will never be over the fact that the squadron's entire tac net was in the hands of a junior-grade lieutenant and a midshipwoman - even if the lieutenant in question is Honor Harrington's protegee. Just... wow. Wow.)

I have to say, though, for sheer elegance and karma-satisfaction, you can't beat the Battle of Spindle.

As for cthia's niece... psssst, the US Naval Academy is in Annapolis... ;)
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by namelessfly   » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:38 pm

namelessfly

I promise to be nice to your niece if she gets an account.

I still say that the battle ofCerbus was predicated onthepeeps sufferringfrom a severe cranial-rectal insertion. How else can you not see a fusion rocket accelerating a one million ton BC at over 100,000 gees.

Rocket equations:

Force = mass flow rate x exhaust velocity

Mass flow rate = F / Ve

KE of exhaust = 1/2 x mass x (exhaust velocity)^2

Power of exhaust =. 2 x mass flow rate x (exhaust velocity)^2

Substituting:

Power = 2 x Force x Ve

Ve for a fusion rocket is 1/10 Cee

Force = 1eex9 kg x 1,000 m/sxs = 1eex12 Newtons

Power = 1eex12 Newtons x 3eex7m/s = 3eex19 Watts

Comparison, Earth insolation is 1,400 Watts per square meter x 1eex14 square meter =
1.4eex17 Watts.

The Peeps could not see a rocket exhaust that was 200 times brighter than a planet.

Return to Honorverse