Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

Favorite Honorverse Battle

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: High-sugar cereals was: Fave H'verse Battle
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Howard T. Map-addict wrote:You might do with High Sugar Cereals what I did:
Treat them as sugar, not cereal!

E g Sugar Rice Krinkles had too much, taken straight, so
I sprinkled them over Rice Krispies as if they were sugar.

HTM

cthia wrote:
[snip - htm]

It all began when she was about 14 months old. We were at a grocery store and she picked up a box of cereal and said to me "Uncle, I really want this cereal but I know I can't have it because it has such a high sugar content."
[snip - htm]

You are brilliantly evil, or evilly brilliant.
My niece would have loved you!

But her favorite cereal now is Raisin Bran.

Y-U-C-K!

I already voted for my favorite battle. I just loved seeing Crandall get reamed.

Oftentimes, when I am short of time, like always, I re-read just the battles.

I think I should make a personal greatest hits novel of just the battles back to back, for my own take-that edification.

An aside:
I think the planning that went into the Cerberus battle was by far the most interesting.

She wasn't on ship at one of her parties with assembled brass being pampered by Mac. The entire pre-battle was just as...pleasurable for me.

And is it just me, or does Honor seem to achieve some of her best work when she's all battered, beaten, and missing limbs?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Favorite Honorverse Battle
Post by Daryl   » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

My favourite battle was the satirical fantasy battle that RFC wrote in the Safehold snippets that used massive handwavium to tie together Safehold, Honorverse, Dahak, and Apocalypse Troll into a completely over the top wet dream ending for fans. Great fun and not gunna happen.
Post by Crown Loyalist   » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:18 pm

Crown Loyalist
Commander

Daryl wrote:My favourite battle was the satirical fantasy battle that RFC wrote in the Safehold snippets that used massive handwavium to tie together Safehold, Honorverse, Dahak, and Apocalypse Troll into a completely over the top wet dream ending for fans. Great fun and not gunna happen.

Whaaaat?! :shock:
Post by KNick   » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:47 pm

KNick
Admiral

Crown Loyalist wrote:
Daryl wrote:My favourite battle was the satirical fantasy battle that RFC wrote in the Safehold snippets that used massive handwavium to tie together Safehold, Honorverse, Dahak, and Apocalypse Troll into a completely over the top wet dream ending for fans. Great fun and not gunna happen.

Whaaaat?! :shock:

Check out the "How the Safehold series WONT end" thread 5 pages back. There are two of them with the same title, but the story is the first post in the thread.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by kenl511   » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

My personal favorite is Second Hancock.

1) Oliver Diamato.

2) Talk about a proof of concept!

And it turns out the other side gets the death ride!
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:53 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

SaganamiFan wrote:This may sound cheesy, but I have to go with First Basilisk. Reading it was just so intense, so personal, so one on one. Like seeing Das Boot or Hunt for Red October for the first time as a kid.

There were a lot of awesome battles after that, but none made me feel quite like this.
True. But at least for today I'm going to give my nod for favorite battle to 2nd Hancock.

And since I finished reading up on the thread before posting I see that kenl511 threw in a mention for this as well (so I'm not alone :D)

Getting to see Oliver Diamato on the Peep side, and to see the Minotaur and the Shrikes first demonstrate the practical effect of their capabilities against anything smaller or less robust than a DN formation. :!:

But ask me again later and my answer will probably change; there are just so many good ones to choose from.
Post by Rakhmamort   » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:17 am

Rakhmamort
Captain (Junior Grade)

HMS Fearless vs Saladin

The willingness to die if that is what it takes to take out the sole remaining threat to the planet/people you are defending. That death ride to avenge your dead comrades. That unwavering resolve to go in and finish the job whatever the enemy throws at you. The acceptance of the whole crew to follow Honor into Hell and back.

Selker rift is my next choice. Though less people to sacrifice their lives for and I really don't like using a Q-ship vs a BC in energy combat range.

First Basilisk is up there too but since the Q-Ship commander is really trying to warn his battle squadrons away if he gets away, the 'removing of the threat' is not in the picture that much (and since she already warned Home Fleet).
Post by WLBjork   » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:33 am

WLBjork
Commander

Battle of Carson(?) for me.

The origin of the Manticoran Death Ride.

Saganami charging a fair sized task-force with the Battlecruiser Nike.

Return to Honorverse