Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 57 guests

The moments that got you

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: The moments that got you
Post by Festival   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Festival
Lieutenant (Senior Grade)

"In fact, according to its transponder, it's Haven One."

That one simple line "got" me, bigtime. Not in the "I've got something in my eye" way, but in an eyes wide, jaw hanging open, gobsmacked way.

Followed by "Oh my God, the Sollies and Malign are so screwed..."
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:43 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Festival wrote:
"In fact, according to its transponder, it's Haven One."

That one simple line "got" me, bigtime. Not in the "I've got something in my eye" way, but in an eyes wide, jaw hanging open, gobsmacked way.

Followed by "Oh my God, the Sollies and Malign are so screwed..."

That may, in fact, be my single favorite line in the entire series. It was "what?" followed by "oh my God" followed by "holy crap she actually did it she actually did it" followed by "it's over it's over the most heartbreaking gut-wrenching war in literature is over" followed by copious amounts of weeping followed by a frantic rummage for popcorn because DIS GON BE GOOD.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Spacekiwi   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:05 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Impeller signature from haven? OH CRAP WE ALL GONNA DIE!

only one ship? huh. thats not so bad....

Haven one... What!???? Here? Now?

Pritchard is here with Honor?

HOO Boy are the sollies screwed.......

Thats what Im guessing went through the mind of the person receiving the call and those monitoring the hyper footprints....

:D

roseandheather wrote:
That may, in fact, be my single favorite line in the entire series. It was "what?" followed by "oh my God" followed by "holy crap she actually did it she actually did it" followed by "it's over it's over the most heartbreaking gut-wrenching war in literature is over" followed by copious amounts of weeping followed by a frantic rummage for popcorn because DIS GON BE GOOD.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
Post by Bill Woods   » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Festival wrote:"In fact, according to its transponder, it's Haven One."
roseandheather wrote:That may, in fact, be my single favorite line in the entire series. It was "what?" followed by "oh my God" followed by "holy crap she actually did it she actually did it" followed by "it's over it's over the most heartbreaking gut-wrenching war in literature is over" followed by copious amounts of weeping followed by a frantic rummage for popcorn because DIS GON BE GOOD.
Spacekiwi wrote:Impeller signature from haven? OH CRAP WE ALL GONNA DIE!

Thats what Im guessing went through the mind of the person receiving the call and those monitoring the hyper footprints....
Well, scratch the first -- They knew it was a single ship before they received the ID. And one presumes they were used to dispatch boats dropping in from time to time.
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:48 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

not really. after all, they get the hyper footprint, then they get how big it is, so they could have felt fear at the knowledge of a hyper footprint from the direction of haven, followed by the relief at it being a single ship, followed by the realisation its haven 1....

Bill Woods wrote:
Festival wrote:"In fact, according to its transponder, it's Haven One."
roseandheather wrote:That may, in fact, be my single favorite line in the entire series. It was "what?" followed by "oh my God" followed by "holy crap she actually did it she actually did it" followed by "it's over it's over the most heartbreaking gut-wrenching war in literature is over" followed by copious amounts of weeping followed by a frantic rummage for popcorn because DIS GON BE GOOD.
Spacekiwi wrote:Impeller signature from haven? OH CRAP WE ALL GONNA DIE!

Well, scratch the first -- They knew it was a single ship before they received the ID. And one presumes they were used to dispatch boats dropping in from time to time.
`

Post by Eagleeye   » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:51 am

Eagleeye
Commodore

PeterZ wrote:"When Honor and the crew of the heavy cruiser HMS Fearless are advancing into what they know is going to be their deaths in the final clash against Thunder of God with Hammerwell's Salute to Spring serenading them into battle...

Very poignant and gets me every time."

Amaroq wrote:That is another one.

Definitely should not be cut from the movie.

namelessfly wrote:The score should be Vivaldi's Four Seasons. If the arrange the piece to play Spring and Fall first as Fearless approaches Thundrr of God and Summer when White Haven arrives in system. Then climax with Winter. That would build the intensity quite well.

Sorry if I grab something from the deeps of this thread, but I have to say something about it.
1) It should be no original classical music, but it should derived from such a work.
2) the work in question (imho) should be Dvorak, Symphony No. 9 (from the new world), final movement - at least for the climax.

(hope, I got the quotations right)
Post by Rakhmamort   » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:55 am

Rakhmamort
Captain (Junior Grade)

Since you guys chose to post all the tear jerking ones... I'm going to start the list for Hell Yeah! moments...

1) A liberal idiot flying in the air after being smacked hard by Honor.

2) Bullet after bullet striking the smug and supposedly fastest duelist this side of the galaxy and Honor waiting for him to get himself under control enough to start raising his gun hand again before blowing his brains out.
2.1) Coward's reaction after watching said duel and seeing how his champion got destroyed.

3) Battle of Cerberus. No casualties.

4) Honor's musings about her troops' declaration that they are the Wolves of the place while waiting for White Haven

5) Tongue lashing delivered by Chien Lu regarding the investigation into Hellbarde - Jessica Eps incident.

6) Operation Buttercup.

Almost forgot...

Cordelia Ransom's BC destroyed by her own small craft's wedge. :D
Post by Dieu_Le_Fera   » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:38 pm

Dieu_Le_Fera
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

My first post but I have to say this little passage brought A bit bearing on the topic of war to me, one that I had not felt since reading "The Forever War."

She had lost thirteen million tons of shipping, and twenty thousand people. The "Peeps" had lost over A hundred million tons, and their "butchers bill" didn't even bare thinking on. She'd just destroyed an entire peace time navy in less than five minutes of combat.

You've done it to me again, My Lady. I could still have you, We both know that don't we? But, I am afraid I am not quite as eager to die as you are, another time Lady Harrington.

Ouch, just the number of death and destruction delivered was enough to make me rethink all the silly thoughts of being happy at the high point in the book to think, wow.

I have read gritty Sci-Fi Military Fiction before, my favorite being "The Forever War." That one simple passage and I could not help but think of that old book that I read when I was young, and how it seriously made me understand what "War" really was, and despite how awesome it is in context of the story. I still could not help but shudder as I did the math in my head, and read the narrative.

On a positive note, in Honor Among Enemies, the next book...

"Get your hands off him"

No spoilers for those who have not read the series, but yeah that brought a smile to my face.
"Battle Cruisers lead the way!"
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:51 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Welcome to the Forums Dieu_Le_Fera. First virtual drinks on us. :D

Hope you have fun round here.

Dieu_Le_Fera wrote:My first post but I have to say this little passage brought A bit bearing on the topic of war to me, one that I had not felt since reading "The Forever War."

She had lost thirteen million tons of shipping, and twenty thousand people. The "Peeps" had lost over A hundred million tons, and their "butchers bill" didn't even bare thinking on. She'd just destroyed an entire peace time navy in less than five minutes of combat.

You've done it to me again, My Lady. I could still have you, We both know that don't we? But, I am afraid I am not quite as eager to die as you are, another time Lady Harrington.

Ouch, just the number of death and destruction delivered was enough to make me rethink all the silly thoughts of being happy at the high point in the book to think, wow.

I have read gritty Sci-Fi Military Fiction before, my favorite being "The Forever War." That one simple passage and I could not help but think of that old book that I read when I was young, and how it seriously made me understand what "War" really was, and despite how awesome it is in context of the story. I still could not help but shudder as I did the math in my head, and read the narrative.

On a positive note, in Honor Among Enemies, the next book...

"Get your hands off him"

No spoilers for those who have not read the series, but yeah that brought a smile to my face.
`

Post by cthia   » Tue May 20, 2014 5:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I forgot to post this. It's a moment that got me. Pissed me off royally, as it did Captain Erica Ferrero of the Jessica Epps.
Around 1919 PD, the ship was commanded by Kapitän der Sterne Guangfu Gortz. She shadowed the Manticoran heavy cruiser HMS Jessica Epps, conducting a number of subtle provocations against it.

When Jessica Epps ordered a ship falsely transmitting an Andermani transponder code to stop, Hellebarde opened fire. In the following engagement, Hellbarde was pounded into a wreck, while Jessica Epps was destroyed with all hands.

What the hell was the stern goofool thinking??? I so wanted Manticore to kick their asses. But hey, I would have just been another foolhardy Captain starting another fire that Manticore didn't need.

Anyway, researching the matter before I post led me to a few cthia overlooked facts. First, for me anyway, the fact that the Andermani has FTL was lost in the pissed-me-off provocation.

It also escaped me that Haven had developed their own FTL with Tarantula. And the capability led to Honor being trapped between two forces before 17,000 missiles were hurled at her from pods that had been laid by minelayers masquerading as battlecruisers, under the fire control of the new Moriarty system, at The Battle of Solon. This also is where Henke was captured.

I'm thinking that FTL ability is so subtle that its ramifications are often overlooked. Certainly by the SLN. It seems to me that the SLN has to solve their problems with FTL and develop their own version if they hope to compete. It also must be a huge slap in the face of their ego that three separate neobarbs has individually solved the problem of FTL.

The Andermani Empire developed and deployed FTL equipped recon drones around 1918 PD. The first confirmed use was by the IANS Hellbarde while shadowing the HMS Jessica Epps in the Harston System. (HH10)

The Republic of Haven deployed FTL communications equipment before the early 1920s PD. The first known use of FTL technology by Haven was during the Battle of Solon with the Tarantula platforms. (HH11)

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse