Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S and 155 guests

Cupid

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Cupid
Post by JeffEngel   » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:06 pm

JeffEngel
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
cthia wrote:Someone touched on this already, but I'd be very surprised if Elizabeth isn't ribbing Michelle about dating. Given how they like to lightheartedly spar.

My next thoughts would be who Elizabeth likes as a match for Henke?

I think she'd be all over a Henke/Tourville romance, even if only for the public relations bonanza that would represent. (Though not as much as Eloise, who would probably be the next thing to salivating.)

But given the way Michelle seems to have been Kaplaning her way about the known galaxy for several decades, I think she'd just be relieved to see her cousin settle down and be happy!

(And so would I. Come on, RFC - Michelle deserves some love too!!)

Much as we would like to have happily ever after over and over, maybe Mike's happy Kaplaning. Maybe she's not the settling down sort. Maybe she will be, when the right man/woman/open-minded-commune comes along. Or maybe she will be when her cousin and country don't have to send her out to kill and die, when she won't have to go into battle thinking about leaving someone back home widowed or orphaned. Heck, maybe she doesn't know.
Post by cthia   » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:19 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
cthia wrote:
Someone touched on this already, but I'd be very surprised if Elizabeth isn't ribbing Michelle about dating. Given how they like to lightheartedly spar.

My next thoughts would be who Elizabeth likes as a match for Henke?

I think she'd be all over a Henke/Tourville romance, even if only for the public relations bonanza that would represent. (Though not as much as Eloise, who would probably be the next thing to salivating.)

But given the way Michelle seems to have been Kaplaning her way about the known galaxy for several decades, I think she'd just be relieved to see her cousin settle down and be happy!

Kaplaning her way about the galaxy? :lol: Good one Rose.

On that other front you're just acknowledging Elizabeth's affinity to milk every opportunity as fuel for the Crown. :lol: Political mileage, the hallmark of governments.

I will say though, a Henke/Tourville union would be a very interesting matchup. The cowboy and the Queen. Potential Queen anyways.

By the way, when Michelle was on vacation on Haven and I became privy to the exchanges between she and Eloise, I said to myself "Self, that girl is as sharp as a Queen."

*I think Shelly would make a great Queen. I'd love for her to have that chance.

*See Ramblings and Musings thread.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:10 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I wonder how many crushes there are, but protocol, as in chain of command, or age, comes into play. How many Captains or Commanders must fight with a hankering to have a hunk of Ensign? Or vice versa.

How many would develop a crush on Abby but tread lightly about her Grayson heritage, or her armsman. :lol:

Sort of like trying to approach a President's older daughter. What are you bringing to the table. I'm just a college student, she's the First Daughter.

Somehow, "I like you for who you are," no longer works as something you'd say to her, and coming from her might sound condescending.

So, is Abigail approachable? Is Michelle Henke?

It may be difficult to muster up the courage to ask someone fifth in line to the throne out on a date. Most guys would be afraid of the old rejecting giggle. You know, when a girl puts her hand to her lips trying to cap a laugh. :oops:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JeffEngel   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:00 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

cthia wrote:I wonder how many crushes there are, but protocol, as in chain of command, or age, comes into play. How many Captains or Commanders must fight with a hankering to have a hunk of Ensign? Or vice versa.

How many would develop a crush on Abby but tread lightly about her Grayson heritage, or her armsman. :lol:

Sort of like trying to approach a President's older daughter. What are you bringing to the table. I'm just a college student, she's the First Daughter.

Somehow, "I like you for who you are," no longer works as something you'd say to her, and coming from her might sound condescending.

It may be difficult to muster up the courage to ask someone fifth in line to the throne out on a date. Most guys would be afraid of the old rejecting giggle. You know, when a girl puts her hand to her lips trying to cap a laugh. :oops:

That's got to be a factor. Then again, both Abigail and Mike leave their aristocratic statuses far away from their personal lives and demeanor. Mateo's presence may make for a mixed message though in that case - goodness knows, the junior officer who wants to fling a proposal at Abigail with Mateo looming there, a chaperone with a license to kill, has got to have big brass ones far beyond his/her years....

Beyond that though, military protocol, facts of life, and in Abigail's case cultural distance can interfere. Anyone seeing Abigail regularly is stuck in the same small ship: it's not only a small dating pool, it's one where you cannot get appropriate distance if things go poorly. (Also - nowhere to hide from Mateo if things go really badly.) How a Manticoran man is supposed to approach a Grayson woman - who is also Miss Owens - is not something that's general knowledge. If a Manticoran woman may at all is probably not merely not general knowledge but, given Grayson mores, maybe something that anyone's afraid to ask. Anyone not in the same small ship is not seeing her regularly. And anyone below her in the chain of command (and as tac officer, that's potentially most of the crew) is off limits. Even if Article 119 is frequently disregarded on the sly, that's not something Abigail Hearns would do.

That enters into it even worse for Mike. 10th Fleet is also flying all over the place all the time, so opportunities to see the same people outside it are few.

If she's going to be at Mesa for awhile, you could try shipping her with Jurgen Dusek. That would at least make a lot of Conservative heads on Manticore explode. Good times!
Post by Hutch   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:34 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
roseandheather wrote: .....But given the way Michelle seems to have been Kaplaning her way about the known galaxy for several decades, I think she'd just be relieved to see her cousin settle down and be happy!

Much as we would like to have happily ever after over and over, maybe Mike's happy Kaplaning. Maybe she's not the settling down sort. Maybe she will be, when the right man/woman/open-minded-commune comes along. Or maybe she will be when her cousin and country don't have to send her out to kill and die, when she won't have to go into battle thinking about leaving someone back home widowed or orphaned. Heck, maybe she doesn't know.

OK, I need educating; I goggled "Kaplaning" and can't find a reference to it. I get it's meaning from the way it is used in the text, but where does it come from?

And regarding Mike, I think it has been mentioned (IIRC, in SftS) that she doesn't lack for boyfriends, but I agree, it is time for her to thnk about settling down (how about Steven Westman of Montana? Can you imagine those kids!?!?!). :o :shock: 8-)
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:33 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote: .....But given the way Michelle seems to have been Kaplaning her way about the known galaxy for several decades, I think she'd just be relieved to see her cousin settle down and be happy!

JeffEngel wrote:Much as we would like to have happily ever after over and over, maybe Mike's happy Kaplaning. Maybe she's not the settling down sort. Maybe she will be, when the right man/woman/open-minded-commune comes along. Or maybe she will be when her cousin and country don't have to send her out to kill and die, when she won't have to go into battle thinking about leaving someone back home widowed or orphaned. Heck, maybe she doesn't know.

Hutch wrote:, I need educating; I goggled "Kaplaning" and can't find a reference to it. I get it's meaning from the way it is used in the text, but where does it come from?

And regarding Mike, I think it has been mentioned (IIRC, in SftS) that she doesn't lack for boyfriends, but I agree, it is time for her to thnk about settling down (how about Steven Westman of Montana? Can you imagine those kids!?!?!). :o :shock: 8-)

I think it is a reference to the way Naomi Kaplan was introduced; as well as sidelong recollection of Fitzgerald thinking he didn't know whether to envy "Alf"(her date that night) or feel sorry for him. . .

Rob
Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:11 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

By now, Caslet is at least a commodore, if not an admiral in the Protectors own, which we're not seeing much 'round these parts, and while I think a couple of our way cool-Manticoran folks like Mercedes and even Henke would be great mates, ya know, the feller deserves to be able to sit back and enjoy raising a family a bit more often. I also think that none of the parties that be in Haven really think he's an outcast traitor to be shot on sight now that the GA exists.

My vote then is Caslet/Chin because they both got handed the short end of the stick more than once, and are honorable officers. Give 'em a break and a nice space in the Harrington Steading somewhere, and they can run the Grayson equivalent of Saganami Island prep school, and fly out to the ships when they are needed to kick some butt in the Yeltsin system or elsewhere.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:By now, Caslet is at least a commodore, if not an admiral in the Protectors own, which we're not seeing much 'round these parts, and while I think a couple of our way cool-Manticoran folks like Mercedes and even Henke would be great mates, ya know, the feller deserves to be able to sit back and enjoy raising a family a bit more often. I also think that none of the parties that be in Haven really think he's an outcast traitor to be shot on sight now that the GA exists.

My vote then is Caslet/Chin because they both got handed the short end of the stick more than once, and are honorable officers. Give 'em a break and a nice space in the Harrington Steading somewhere, and they can run the Grayson equivalent of Saganami Island prep school, and fly out to the ships when they are needed to kick some butt in the Yeltsin system or elsewhere.

Sounds good to me. Nice ship, by the way. Happiness for them both! I actually feel sorry for what happened to Chin in that last epic battle. She tasted victory, even swallowed it. In hypers Honor to give her indigestion.

I wonder if Chin and Warner knew each other beforehand. I'm just not quite sure he could ever return to Haven, even if somehow pardoned. It just wouldn't be a great place to raise your kids having to stomach hearing, "Your dad is a traitor." Off-planet would work But she'd have to leave all that's dear to her.

Or, she could just visit the family without him.

Post by SharkHunter   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:53 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:
SharkHunter wrote:By now, Caslet is at least a commodore, if not an admiral in the Protectors own, which we're not seeing much 'round these parts, and while I think a couple of our way cool-Manticoran folks like Mercedes and even Henke would be great mates, ya know, the feller deserves to be able to sit back and enjoy raising a family a bit more often. I also think that none of the parties that be in Haven really think he's an outcast traitor to be shot on sight now that the GA exists.

Sounds good to me. Nice ship, by the way. Happiness for them both! I actually feel sorry for what happened to Chin in that last epic battle. She tasted victory, even swallowed it. In hypers Honor to give her indigestion.

I wonder if Chin and Warner knew each other beforehand. I'm just not quite sure he could ever return to Haven, even if somehow pardoned. It just wouldn't be a great place to raise your kids having to stomach hearing, "Your dad is a traitor." Off-planet would work But she'd have to leave all that's dear to her.

Or, she could just visit the family without him.

I don't think much of the PN families are left in existence, so I had Prichart issuing a pardon to both Yu an Caslet, but they'd stay Grayson citizens. I'd assume that Chin would be seen as a big loser by those same folks other than in San Martine, where she'd be a heroine. Methinks San Martine and Grayson can get along with each other.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:01 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
cthia wrote:I wonder how many crushes there are, but protocol, as in chain of command, or age, comes into play. How many Captains or Commanders must fight with a hankering to have a hunk of Ensign? Or vice versa.

That's got to be a factor. Then again, both Abigail and Mike leave their aristocratic statuses far away from their personal lives and demeanor. Mateo's presence may make for a mixed message though in that case - goodness knows, the junior officer who wants to fling a proposal at Abigail with Mateo looming there, a chaperone with a license to kill, has got to have big brass ones far beyond his/her years....

Beyond that though, military protocol, facts of life, and in Abigail's case cultural distance can interfere. Anyone seeing Abigail regularly is stuck in the same small ship: it's not only a small dating pool, it's one where you cannot get appropriate distance if things go poorly. (Also - nowhere to hide from Mateo if things go really badly.) How a Manticoran man is supposed to approach a Grayson woman - who is also Miss Owens - is not something that's general knowledge. If a Manticoran woman may at all is probably not merely not general knowledge but, given Grayson mores, maybe something that anyone's afraid to ask. Anyone not in the same small ship is not seeing her regularly. And anyone below her in the chain of command (and as tac officer, that's potentially most of the crew) is off limits. Even if Article 119 is frequently disregarded on the sly, that's not something Abigail Hearns would do.

That enters into it even worse for Mike. 10th Fleet is also flying all over the place all the time, so opportunities to see the same people outside it are few.

If she's going to be at Mesa for awhile, you could try shipping her with Jurgen Dusek. That would at least make a lot of Conservative heads on Manticore explode. Good times!

And on top of all those worries, you still need to meet the high powered families. Talk about nerves of shredded Sphagetti on the way to meet Elizabeth, or Steadholder Owens, sweating profusely.

"Young man, are you urinating all over my carpet?"

"No mam, sir. That's actually sweat!"

And in Henke's suitor's case, and the way Elizabeth's sense of humor works, what are you going to do when Elizabeth asks you "What are your intentions for my cousin?"

Now, remember, Ariel is regarding you from high atop Elizabeth's shoulder, and you just remember that your immediate naughty intentions included pinning Michelle in Mt. Royal Palace. Then you see bared fangs. And now there's excrement rolling down your leg to intermix with the previous puddle of pee.

The last thing you hear as you're running is Elizabeth saying, "You lose lots of dates that way."

Michelle's dateless reaction, as always :roll:

Return to Honorverse