Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 161 guests

Cupid

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Cupid
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:13 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

Not complaining, but wow has this thread changed topics! I was thinking it'd be new shipping ideas, but, I'm not too surprised at the topic change.
Post by tlb   » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:48 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

Shannon_Foraker wrote:Not complaining, but wow has this thread changed topics! I was thinking it'd be new shipping ideas, but, I'm not too surprised at the topic change.

Just about every long thread (and some not so long) ends up morphing into something else. I wonder what the average page length is for that first transition; but I am not willing to put in the effort to quantify it. My WAG is somewhere between seven and eleven pages, although I would not be surprised to learn that it was less.
Post by Shannon_Foraker   » Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:45 pm

Shannon_Foraker
Commander

tlb wrote:
Shannon_Foraker wrote:Not complaining, but wow has this thread changed topics! I was thinking it'd be new shipping ideas, but, I'm not too surprised at the topic change.

Just about every long thread (and some not so long) ends up morphing into something else. I wonder what the average page length is for that first transition; but I am not willing to put in the effort to quantify it. My WAG is somewhere between seven and eleven pages, although I would not be surprised to learn that it was less.

It probably depends on the thread topic and who's posting.
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:34 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Anyone in the mood for a bit of claptrap?

Let's say the love potion in the tip of Cupid's arrow was not used before the "Best by date" when it shot Beth. And as a result Justin has discovered that she has been unfaithful and he wants a divorce.

I know nothing like the Pains and Penalties Bill comes into play. But I have always wondered how something like that would affect the Monarchy. Especially since "free frolicking" does not seem to be out of the ordinary in the Monarchy.

Would Justin have to move out of the Palace? He isn't the one unfaithful. Would he retain his title?

On a related note. Not that it would ever happen, although it could. Speaking of power couples, what would be the most powerful union that Beth could enter into?

For instance, a marriage to Protector Benjamin?

The Emperor?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by tlb   » Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:02 pm

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Let's say the love potion in the tip of Cupid's arrow was not used before the "Best by date" when it shot Beth. And as a result Justin has discovered that she has been unfaithful and he wants a divorce.

--snip --

But I have always wondered how something like that would affect the Monarchy. Especially since "free frolicking" does not seem to be out of the ordinary in the Monarchy.

Would Justin have to move out of the Palace? He isn't the one unfaithful. Would he retain his title?

On a related note. Not that it would ever happen, although it could. Speaking of power couples, what would be the most powerful union that Beth could enter into?

For instance, a marriage to Protector Benjamin?

The Emperor?

He was a commoner, so it would depend on whether there was an existing precedent; so it is possible that he would remain a Prince (no longer Prince Consort), since there are two children. Whether he could remain in the palace depends on precedent and the mindset of those involved.

Her strongest position is the one she already holds and I do not see any marriage that could change that. The Andermani would not agree to merging the two realms and with the Protector she would just be the most junior wife. So in both cases she would be no more than a consort in the other system. The Grand Alliance and possible future consolidation with Haven is the strongest union she could have and that is purely political, no marriage involved.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:- snip -

Her strongest position is the one she already holds and I do not see any marriage that could change that. The Andermani would not agree to merging the two realms and with the Protector she would just be the most junior wife. So in both cases she would be no more than a consort in the other system. The Grand Alliance and possible future consolidation with Haven is the strongest union she could have and that is purely political, no marriage involved.

True, and thanks for the input. But I was thinking more on the lines of the intangibles, sprinkled with a lot of political clout.

It would be the same with Honor, if Honor were to take another husband, and the Protector were to take Honor as a wife. It isn't so much the bloated title alluded to, but the intangible aspects of the union.

I would imagine if Honor married Protector Benjamin that the relationship between Grayson and Manticore would always be rock solid. Faithful and reliable; and that itself is worth its weight in top brass. It essentially describes the union of Beowulf and Manticore; please recall a certain thread where I accused the two of dating.

At any rate, certain unions would seem like they would cement the relationship between the two realms, even without having to officially merge. And powerful political bonds are invaluable in politics.

I doubt High Ridge would have alienated Grayson had Beth been married to Protector Benjamin; or anyone in any future Manticoran government if Honor becomes a wife of Benjamin's.

And, of course, power couples here on Earth is also alluding to the staggering combined wealth of the two; along with the political power and influence that that combined wealth and political influence entails.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

As far as Torch is concerned, Queen Berry and W.E.B. Duhavel is a power couple.

A Thandi Palane and Victor Cachat union would be a match made in heaven -- or hell -- depending on who you ask. :mrgreen:

Post by tlb   » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:55 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:As far as Torch is concerned, Queen Berry and W.E.B. Duhavel is a power couple.

A Thandi Palane and Victor Cachat union would be a match made in heaven -- or hell -- depending on who you ask. :mrgreen:

Thandi Palane and Victor Cachat have been a couple since shortly after she was introduced. None of the others you mention require a romantic element to cement their power. In particular the Protector has not had the prolong treatment and so would only be a temporary alliance for any of the others.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

tlb wrote:
cthia wrote:As far as Torch is concerned, Queen Berry and W.E.B. Duhavel is a power couple.

Thandi Palane and Victor Cachat have been a couple since shortly after she was introduced. None of the others you mention require a romantic element to cement their power. In particular the Protector has not had the prolong treatment and so would only be a temporary alliance for any of the others.

But a bona fide 'union' -- as in marriage -- would make it official. As it stands, Victor could cut and run.

Post by tlb   » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:12 am

tlb
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:But a bona fide 'union' -- as in marriage -- would make it official. As it stands, Victor could cut and run.

I could ask whether he would dare to do so, but instead I will point to your initial post that suggested the Queen (or Empress) and her consort could divorce due to infidelity to emphasize that marriage does not by itself make a relationship stronger. Married people can and do "cut and run". Successfully married people work on their relationship just as much as before the wedding. The main advantages of marriage are certain legal benefits.

Return to Honorverse