Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 174 guests

Cupid

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Cupid
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:12 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Naomi has a steady boyfriend? How did I miss that?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by waddles for desert   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:20 pm

waddles for desert
Admiral

Ptritchart and Theisman is impossible until one of them is ready to resign their office. Even then, so long as one held power, there would be concern.

Hemphil is older the Foraker with more time in grade and a relationship would be fraught with security concerns even in a newly minted alliance.

Hemphill is a long time associate of Givens. While they probably began as antagonists, they have literally been through the wars together. I can seen the foundation for a very strong mature relationship their. Maybe no so many starbursts, but something perhaps rock solid.

Abigail? How about Michael Mayhew. He may serve as regent, but he should not end up as Protector. He seems to be good with Benjamin's kids and should make a good stay at home dad if Abigail continues her military career. And, as her consort, he would be prepared to run the steading during her absences. And, with his exposure to Honor, he should be accepting of Abigail's career choice.
Post by Werrf   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

waddles for desert wrote:Hemphil is older the Foraker with more time in grade and a relationship would be fraught with security concerns even in a newly minted alliance.

Age difference doesn't matter so much in a Prolong society; Hamish was almost twice Honor's age when they started their relationship. Security concerns are possible, but their professional relationship is probably going to present more of those than a personal one.
waddles for desert wrote:Hemphill is a long time associate of Givens. While they probably began as antagonists, they have literally been through the wars together. I can seen the foundation for a very strong mature relationship their. Maybe no so many starbursts, but something perhaps rock solid.

I don't think we've ever even seen them together; without some sort of distinguishing factor, like Shannon/Sonja's shared love of tech, what's to distinguish that relationship from, say, Hemphill/any other Admiral in the RMN?

More importantly, there wouldn't be any chain of command issues with Shannon/Sonja, the way there could be with any intra-service relationship.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:18 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

waddles for desert wrote:snip

Abigail? How about Michael Mayhew. He may serve as regent, but he should not end up as Protector. He seems to be good with Benjamin's kids and should make a good stay at home dad if Abigail continues her military career. And, as her consort, he would be prepared to run the steading during her absences. And, with his exposure to Honor, he should be accepting of Abigail's career choice.

That describes potential tolerance in an arranged marriage, not the passion that draws two people together. What do Micheal and Abigail have in common other than their birth class and some shared aquaintences? Not much.

Compare that to my speculative bit about Indiana Graham. He in his own passionate way is striving to revive and protect his nation. Not through the safe agency of established government but at the personal risk of revolution. Personal risk that Abby understands oh so well as a naval officer.

Also consider that a seminal moment of her character development came as she envisioned another figure risk everything to protect her own star nation. That someone dancing amongst the pinpricks of nuclear light blazing in the night sky shaped the dreams of her own future. Perhaps those dreams extend to her future loves and not just her future career?

Micheal Mayhew is a staid image in comparison. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:58 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

waddles for desert wrote:Pritchart and Theisman is impossible until one of them is ready to resign their office. Even then, so long as one held power, there would be concern.

Only if the general public knew about it. They certainly don't have to trumpet it from the rooftops! And I think Eloise Pritchart has more than proven her ability to keep her relationship quiet...
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by jchilds   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:26 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

How about a relationship where Cupid's arrow seemed to have struck and where reality struck back?

Did we ever get any idea what happened with Lady Alyson Granston-Henley and Trevor Haggerston in the aftermath of High Ridge's attempt at playing statesman?
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:41 pm

namelessfly

Mateo was there fighting along side Abby during her own baptism of fire. Mateo is a Marine rather than a naval officer, so they do not have escatly the same profession. However; he will cammand her respect because he to is an accomplished warrior. Given the probably prominent pastern and fetlocks of a San Martino, he will no doubt provoke her lusts too.

PeterZ wrote:
waddles for desert wrote:snip

That describes potential tolerance in an arranged marriage, not the passion that draws two people together. What do Micheal and Abigail have in common other than their birth class and some shared aquaintences? Not much.

Compare that to my speculative bit about Indiana Graham. He in his own passionate way is striving to revive and protect his nation. Not through the safe agency of established government but at the personal risk of revolution. Personal risk that Abby understands oh so well as a naval officer.

Also consider that a seminal moment of her character development came as she envisioned another figure risk everything to protect her own star nation. That someone dancing amongst the pinpricks of nuclear light blazing in the night sky shaped the dreams of her own future. Perhaps those dreams extend to her future loves and not just her future career?

Micheal Mayhew is a staid image in comparison. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:57 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

namelessfly wrote:Mateo was there fighting along side Abby during her own baptism of fire. Mateo is a Marine rather than a naval officer, so they do not have escatly the same profession. However; he will cammand her respect because he to is an accomplished warrior. Given the probably prominent pastern and fetlocks of a San Martino, he will no doubt provoke her lusts too.

There is much to be said about Mateo. Unfortunately, his role is still part of the Grayson social structure. There is too much tradition locked into any of the social positions recognized by Graysons. If she associates with Mateo, she must marry him or transgress against her faith. If she marries him, she visits the stigma of an irregular relationship upon her family. That irregularity is based on relationships Graysons recognize.

If she finds a foreigner to marry, she visits an irregular relationship that Graysons do NOT recognize. What do they know of Cherubim? Hmmmm, how bad can the inhabitants of a world named after angels be?

My take on Abigail is that she will break completely with Grayson's social mores. Either staying single or marrying outside her star nation.
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:04 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
namelessfly wrote:Mateo was there fighting along side Abby during her own baptism of fire. Mateo is a Marine rather than a naval officer, so they do not have escatly the same profession. However; he will cammand her respect because he to is an accomplished warrior. Given the probably prominent pastern and fetlocks of a San Martino, he will no doubt provoke her lusts too.

There is much to be said about Mateo. Unfortunately, his role is still part of the Grayson social structure. There is too much tradition locked into any of the social positions recognized by Graysons. If she associates with Mateo, she must marry him or transgress against her faith. If she marries him, she visits the stigma of an irregular relationship upon her family. That irregularity is based on relationships Graysons recognize.

If she finds a foreigner to marry, she visits an irregular relationship that Graysons do NOT recognize. What do they know of Cherubim? Hmmmm, how bad can the inhabitants of a world named after angels be?

My take on Abigail is that she will break completely with Grayson's social mores. Either staying single or marrying outside her star nation.

Let's not forget that Mateo is her bodyguard, and Abigail is a Steadholder's daughter. Frankly, the chances of her looking at him that way are somewhere less than zero - and Mateo, for all he cares for her, will almost certainly not look at her that way either.

I am nearly 100% certain that she will marry a non-Grayson - either a Manticoran or, since the Grand Alliance has formed, potentially a Havenite. But frankly, my bet is on a Manticoran - and more specifically a Manticoran aristocrat. (Which is why I think Michael Oversteegen is such a perfect fit for her.) It makes sense for her to marry into a world that also has an aristocracy, where although they might not be of the same world, they'd share a similar perspective on life and on aristocratic responsibility.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by PeterZ   » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:15 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
Let's not forget that Mateo is her bodyguard, and Abigail is a Steadholder's daughter. Frankly, the chances of her looking at him that way are somewhere less than zero - and Mateo, for all he cares for her, will almost certainly not look at her that way either.

I am nearly 100% certain that she will marry a non-Grayson - either a Manticoran or, since the Grand Alliance has formed, potentially a Havenite. But frankly, my bet is on a Manticoran - and more specifically a Manticoran aristocrat. (Which is why I think Michael Oversteegen is such a perfect fit for her.) It makes sense for her to marry into a world that also has an aristocracy, where although they might not be of the same world, they'd share a similar perspective on life and on aristocratic responsibility.

My dear Lady, consider that a Manticoran aristocrat is still too similar to her own pedigree. What is so special about that? What spark of novelty resides in aristocracy to one such as Abigail? She craves not the comfort of tradition but the allure of the less traveled road.

I suspect the spark of choosing one's grand responsibility as she did in her career will catch her attention. In that regard my candidate has been named. I suspect we won't find out who is right for some time to come and discussing the possibilities has been pleasant.

Return to Honorverse