Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 130 guests

Cupid

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Cupid
Post by PeterZ   » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:42 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Lazalarlives wrote:Um, guys.
I think you are all over the place with Abigail. You've forgotten somebody.

First name Prescott.

His partner in crime got nabbed by a Marine; I forsee a sideline battle featuring a division of cruisers and a couple destroyers - say the Alistair McKeon's division and the Tristam's.

Hmm?

Scotty and Naomi Kaplan are the IT couple in the Honorverse. She doesn't have professional panache Scotty oozes. Where Naomi tiptoes through the politics of her profession, Scotty has that cowboy flair. By tiptoe I mean her reluctance in offering an opinion about fellow officers.

I can see Scotty having the sort of confidence she lacks as attracting her.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Just remember they may be polygamists. Plus treecat bonding ....
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:48 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:

First name Prescott.

His partner in crime got nabbed by a Marine; I forsee a sideline battle featuring a division of cruisers and a couple destroyers - say the Alistair McKeon's division and the Tristam's.

Hmm?

Scotty and Naomi Kaplan are the IT couple in the Honorverse. She doesn't have professional panache Scotty oozes. Where Naomi tiptoes through the politics of her profession, Scotty has that cowboy flair. By tiptoe I mean her reluctance in offering an opinion about fellow officers.

My goodness, we all have fertile imaginations.

But hello... Scotty and Naomi... now there's a thought.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:

My goodness, we all have fertile imaginations.

But hello... Scotty and Naomi... now there's a thought.

I can see Scotty with just about anyone.
Charming he is.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dafmeister   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:40 am

Dafmeister
Commodore

cthia wrote:I can see Scotty with just about anyone.
Charming he is.

Careful, you'll make the Dread Pirate Horace jealous.
Post by pokermind   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:34 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Dafmeister wrote:
cthia wrote:I can see Scotty with just about anyone.
Charming he is.

Nah he's too busy training hacker 'cats. As the Monster once suggested:

The Monster wrote:
pokermind wrote:
According to David Weber, treecats have difficulty with human mathematics. But I wounder if their main problem is they are using base 4 rather than base 10? Treecats number things in hands, their hands have four fingers, therefore base 4. IE 1=1, 2=2, 3=3, 10=4, 11=5, ... 100=16 or a hand of hands.

Computers use base 2, and base 4 is just a variant so I wounder if in time treecats will become ace computer geeks, hum?

The main problem 'cats have with mathematics is that it is another language humans use to express certain ideas. Because 'cats haven't historically used language to communicate, they also haven't learned that language is valuable for thinking about ideas, even when no communication is anticipated. So it's going to take a while for it to catch on.

Base 16 (hexadecimal) is widely used in computing as the human-readable representation of binary:
hex: Base 4 = 'cat hands
1: 1 = finger
2: 2 = two fingers
3: 3 = three fingers
4: 10 = hand
5: 11 = hand and finger
6: 12 = hand, two fingers
7: 13 = hand, three fingers
8: 20 = two hands
9: 21 = two hands, one finger
A: 22 = two hands, two fingers
B: 23 = two hands, three fingers
C: 30 = three hands
D: 31 = three hands, one finger
E: 32 = three hands, two fingers
F: 33 = three hands, three fingers
10: 100 = hand of hands
11: 101 = hand of hands, finger1F: 133 = hand of hands, three hands, three fingers40: 1000 = hand of hands of hands
FF: 3333 = three hands of hands of hands, three hands of hands, three hands, three fingers (255 in decimal)

Each pair of base-4 digits maps perfectly to a single base-16 digit. Modern computers use "bytes" of 8 bits, comprising two "nybbles" of 4 bits, each of which maps perfectly to a hex digit. Processors generally use 16, 32, or 64 bits for their registers, again mapping to 4, 8, or 16 hex digits. That last number is a hand-of-hands of digits, each of which counts to a hand of hands itself. Very 'cat friendly, indeed.

Once a 'cat is assigned to Sir Horace and learns to count in this new fashion, as well as some of his other skills, and reports back to a Memory Singer, there will be plenty of 1337 h@xx0r k@7z.

;) Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:35 am

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

pokermind wrote:
Dafmeister wrote:

Nah he's too busy training hacker 'cats. As the Monster once suggested:

SNIP
;) Poker

Nonsense, his wife Buttercup....er... Babcock, Irys Babcock that is, might have a thing or two to say on the matter.
Post by captainofthelist   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:23 pm

captainofthelist
Commander

PeterZ wrote:

First name Prescott.

Hmm?

I think many of you may be a bit off here. IIRC, Kaplan was buying something nice for her boyfriend on Hephestus just before she shipped out on HMS Hexapuma in SOS. Unless he was killed there in the Yawata Strike, she's still taken.
Post by PeterZ   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:25 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

captainofthelist wrote:snip
I think many of you may be a bit off here. IIRC, Kaplan was buying something nice for her boyfriend on Hephestus just before she shipped out on HMS Hexapuma in SOS. Unless he was killed there in the Yawata Strike, she's still taken.

From the Exec's internal dialogue, Naomi goes through boyfriends rather thoroughly and often. That's my read anyway.
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:27 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

PeterZ wrote:
captainofthelist wrote:snip

From the Exec's internal dialogue, Naomi goes through boyfriends rather thoroughly and often. That's my read anyway.

Mine, too. There are boyfriends, and boyfriends, and Naomi doesn't seem particularly interested in any of the serious sort at the moment.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."

Return to Honorverse