Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 127 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by runsforcelery   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:52 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

roseandheather wrote:I got the impression that the control nanites were separate from the BC implant. So she wouldn't have known at all that her implant had expired, because it didn't have anything to do with controlling her periods - that was a different device entirely.

You got the correct impression. As to why the nanites exist, well, half the doctors in the Honorverse are female. :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
I got the impression that the control nanites were separate from the BC implant. So she wouldn't have known at all that her implant had expired, because it didn't have anything to do with controlling her periods - that was a different device entirely.

After being reminded about the control nanites that was my impression of how it worked as well. Maybe they're available as a package but they can be gotten separately. After all, maybe you want to try getting pregnant but still don't want to have to deal with periods (which is perfectly understandable). Then you'd just get the nanites but not the implant.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by dreamrider   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:20 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:There might have been a leak in Mannerheim, since three termini is the mid-level version of the story.

Sorry, Bill.

Textev (in ToF mainly, I think) is that no one in Mannerheim who knows only the TOP SECRET '3 termini' story about Felix has any idea that Felix even remotely relates to Verdant Vista in any way. Remember that even the existence of ANY wormhole in Felix is TOP SECRET in the Mannerheim service.

The only folks who know of any relationship to Torch/Congo are a relative handful who are ALL MAlign star lines (including the entire crews of the BC squadron stationed at SGC-902-36-G).

That makes me highly doubt that any leak about the nature of a wormhole terminus hundreds of light years away in the Congo system came out of Mannerheim.

dreamrider
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Hey, as guy whose seen what they can do to my girlfriend, I wouldn't be surprised if every girl wanted them, or had them. Heck, the makers could sell them at an almost usurious markup and still have a very large customer base.

runsforcelery wrote:
roseandheather wrote:I got the impression that the control nanites were separate from the BC implant. So she wouldn't have known at all that her implant had expired, because it didn't have anything to do with controlling her periods - that was a different device entirely.

You got the correct impression. As to why the nanites exist, well, half the doctors in the Honorverse are female. :lol:
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:Hey, as guy whose seen what they can do to my girlfriend, I wouldn't be surprised if every girl wanted them, or had them. Heck, the makers could sell them at an almost usurious markup and still have a very large customer base.

Having had them put me in the ER, I would agree with you.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by roseandheather   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:08 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

You know what I want? I want an explanation of what the hell was going on in the Basilisk system after Honor and Fearless went tearing off after Sirius.

...which basically means I want to know what Estelle Matsuko was up to. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Hutch   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:You know what I want? I want an explanation of what the hell was going on in the Basilisk system after Honor and Fearless went tearing off after Sirius.

...which basically means I want to know what Estelle Matsuko was up to. :mrgreen:

You mean besides hiding under her desk?

**Hutch ducks Waffle Iron thrown at him by rose.**

:shock: 8-) :lol: :lol:

Seriously, there's not much she can do, given that there is no military unit outside her people and the Marines and Honor has already transmitted a Case Zulu so I expect that she would:

* See to it that Captain Papadapolous was aware of what was going on and provide him any necessary assistance.

* Meet with various Medusans "leaders" (from the cities that they dealt with) to explain what had happened and what was happening.

* Dealt with the dozens of calls from Manticorians and others who were wondering, in the words of Vincent Thomas Lombardi, "What the Hell is going on out there?"

* Dealt with the loud protests by the Havenites about the damamge to their courier...a conversation that would be short, pungent, and a joy for us to imagine (think Oversteengen and his cousin at Erewhon).

* In her spare time, worry...about the planet, about her future, and about her friend.

IMHO as always. YMMV.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by lyonheart   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Hutch,

Brevity is the soul of wit. ;)

Cheers. :D

L

Hutch wrote:
roseandheather wrote:You know what I want? I want an explanation of what the hell was going on in the Basilisk system after Honor and Fearless went tearing off after Sirius.

You mean besides hiding under her desk?

**Hutch ducks Waffle Iron thrown at him by rose.**

:shock: 8-) :lol: :lol:

Seriously, there's not much she can do, given that there is no military unit outside her people and the Marines and Honor has already transmitted a Case Zulu so I expect that she would:

* See to it that Captain Papadapolous was aware of what was going on and provide him any necessary assistance.

* Meet with various Medusans "leaders" (from the cities that they dealt with) to explain what had happened and what was happening.

* Dealt with the dozens of calls from Manticorians and others who were wondering, in the words of Vincent Thomas Lombardi, "What the Hell is going on out there?"

* Dealt with the loud protests by the Havenites about the damamge to their courier...a conversation that would be short, pungent, and a joy for us to imagine (think Oversteengen and his cousin at Erewhon).

* In her spare time, worry...about the planet, about her future, and about her friend.

IMHO as always. YMMV.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Roguevictory   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:46 pm

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

I was re-reading AoV this morning and thought of something, has there ever been a short story covering Thomas Caparelli's Silesia incident that gets mentioned when he and Honor are discussing her medical treatment? I don't recall any but thought it might have slipped my mind.
Post by phillies   » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:53 pm

phillies
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
SWM wrote:I am far from an expert on this, but I have heard that the limitation on a woman's fertility is not because they run out of eggs. From what I understand, most women have enough eggs to be fertile for a hundred years or more, if their bodies let them.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!

During their natural lifetimes, women release only a fraction of the eggs they are born with. Even tripling the woman's lifespan - and therefore her fertile years - wouldn't put a woman in danger of running out of eggs. Especially when combined with other measures that can control the reproductive cycle.

The issues I would be most wary of are simple wear-and-tear on the reproductive organs. Pregnancy is a stressful process even under ideal conditions, and while tubing eliminates most of the life-or-death risks associated with it, for those who carry their pregnancies to term without tubing - like Allison Harrington - there is still a certain amount of stress put on the uterus.

Women are not entirely fragile. As you are going to Scotland, where the relevant record was set, I would note that the record number of children born to a single woman is iirc 27. After a while, twins and triplets become more common. The record was set by a woman of the Scottish nobility some centuries ago. The important reasons for the success included (i) the diet was good by moderns standards, (ii) noblewomen were expected to be vigorously physically active, (iii) wet nursing was standard, and (iv) English physicians were not allowed.

Return to Honorverse