Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 141 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by Graydon   » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:55 pm

Graydon
Commander

dreamrider wrote:Adoption is not out of the question. There is plenty of historical precedent. Rome, and the current reigning House of Sweden come to mind - are the Swedes of the early 19th century more flexible than the SKM/SEM House of Lords? Wait - don't answer that.

The Swedes, or at least the Riksdag, were facing the extinction of their royal family, the attempt to adopt a Danish prince had failed when the guy died, and the minor noble who, on their own initiative, offered the crown to Bernadotte was imprisoned on their return to Sweden. Napoleon treated the whole thing as a joke. The creation of the House of Bernadotte was one of the most improbable sets of events going. (Never mind the wonderful cautionary tale that Karl Johan himself had, due to a radical youth, a "death to the king" tattoo.)

Manticore has to be well-supplied with descendants of Roger Winton I. They're also technically able to just create a member of the House of Winton out of retained genetic samples if they really need to do so. So they're not going to go for adoption unless there's an extremely popular candidate and a very large number of dead Wintons. (I will admit I've been wondering for awhile if Mike Henke was going to wind up on the throne; all that discussion of Mount Royal defenses and etc. which doesn't require a sufficiently extreme set of events to get Parliament considering adoption.)

Someone, or rather some little polity in the Verge, undergoing early liberation and trying to snaffle Lester Tourville as a monarch in the approved SEM style, now, that has possibilities.
Post by George J. Smith   » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:44 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

Abigail Hearns got the CGM for the action at Refuge, what did Mateo and the other 2 surviving marines get?

T&R
GJS
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Annachie   » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:32 pm

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Something that we will find out soon enough I suppose, but will Helen be sent to Mesa as Princess Helen of Torch?

Or, of more interest, will Paolo (and I'm sure that's spelt wrong) transfer to the Torch navy?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Annachie   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:06 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

I'd love to know how small a ship can sucessfully go through a junction transit.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:47 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Annachie wrote:I'd love to know how small a ship can sucessfully go through a junction transit.

About the size of a dispatch boat since dispatch boats are "as small as they can be and still mount a hyper-generator."

You could eliminate everything except life-support for a pilot and the sails, hyper-generator, and wedge and reduce the size some, but a ship that can only transport one pilot is pretty useless.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Vince   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:09 am

Vince
Vice Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:
Annachie wrote:I'd love to know how small a ship can sucessfully go through a junction transit.

About the size of a dispatch boat since dispatch boats are "as small as they can be and still mount a hyper-generator."

You could eliminate everything except life-support for a pilot and the sails, hyper-generator, and wedge and reduce the size some, but a ship that can only transport one pilot is pretty useless.

Don't forget the fusion power plant to run all that equipment, and all the sensors and computer support necessary to let the pilot see where the ship is going, where the wormhole is, etc.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by Weird Harold   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:46 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:
Weird Harold wrote:...

Don't forget the fusion power plant to run all that equipment, and all the sensors and computer support necessary to let the pilot see where the ship is going, where the wormhole is, etc.

I think if you were out to win some sort of "barrel over the falls" sort of record, you could make do with capacitors -- if all you're looking for is to transit the wormhole and not go anywhere after you do. :shock:

Otherwise, I think a powerplant would be considered part of the "life support for the pilot" or part of the drive systems.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:57 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

I just wonder if fusion powers everything on the surface of the planets as well as the ships? Are batteries and or broadcast power used? Do things still have cords and plugs?
Post by Jonathan_S   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:00 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:I just wonder if fusion powers everything on the surface of the planets as well as the ships? Are batteries and or broadcast power used? Do things still have cords and plugs?

We know, from Cauldron of Ghosts if nowhere else that there are planet side fusion reactors to provide power. We also know from passing mentions in the early books that some planets (iirc Manticore and Basilisk get specific mentions) have orbital power collectors that beam power down to the planets.

But even with the presumably fairly efficient beamed power capabilities in the honorverse I suspect most non-portable stuff still uses wires plugged into a wall. Wires (especially superconducting wires) basically have to be more efficient than beamed power so why try to build a beamed power receiver into, say, a holoscreen that's just going to sit in the same spot in your living room permanently.
Post by Annachie   » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:03 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Weird Harold wrote:

Actually I was thinking specifically about junction control courier boats.

Don't need more than a day of canned air per crew. Same with food. Minimal berthing, none really.
Go out do your 12 hours and then doc at Junction Control while the other shift takes ship 2 out. Just a thought.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Return to Honorverse