Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by cthia   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:20 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Just give me a little backdrop of how a woman can become a complete and total "safety interlocks removed" copper-plated Ransom.

<Did she have a biblical issue with blood?>

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:22 pm

TFLYTSNBN

GloriousRuse wrote:Communications come in local and strategic form.

Locally, everyone starts the series with light speed commo. Which works just the way it does in the real world. Essentially, any data, be it a message to your subordinates, getting targeting data sent back to you from a drone, or updating a missile with new attack guidance, takes as long as it takes light. Since the ranges involved are solar system spanning, this can range from a just over a second when objects are at grazer range, to minutes at powered missile range, to potentially hours across a given system.

The practical effect is that you have to make bigger and broader decisions the further away you are. On everything. There comes a point where trying to control a missile with data three minutes old is less preferably than letting its on-board guidance take over, for instance. Or trying to have a conversation with another ship becomes a series of video post cards with hours between each exchange.

Later in the series, people mess around with local FTL data. This, in effect, changes you from the terrestrial equivalent of signaling with flags, bugles, and couriers to using radios.

Strategically, it takes ships to go faster than light. Ships take weeks, months, to travel between systems unless you have a wormhole. So the people back home are always weeks to months behind. While this is obviously fictional physics (Or, at least, undiscovered physics), the effect is to recreate the age of sail when merchants, diplomats, governors, commanders, etc had to be trusted to act relatively independently of the home office and had great freedom of action (or just as often, had stifling delays when waiting for guidance). Amongst other things, it means it might be weeks before you even know a war has started, or whether you won or lost a battle.

As a result of communications lag, you get interesting developments such as Admiral Harrington negotiating a possible alliance with the Andrmandi, Captain Tekerov waging an undeclared war on Monica, and Admiral Goldpeak declaring war on the SL.

Suddenly, the semifuedal economic and political systems that often result in members of the aristocracy being in command of ships and fleets makes enormous sense.
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:58 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

I'll bring it up again,

Who was Charles actually working for, or was he just a conman?
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by kzt   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:09 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

You’ll have ask the writer. Who wasn’t David. Assume they didn’t happen, they are not really part of the continuity. There are only a few of the 2nd part stories that are part of the continuity. Steve Stirling’s, the ones about Ruth and a very few others.

If you want to know why they are not part of the continuity, consider how useful blowing out missile drives would be...
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:35 pm

TFLYTSNBN

What the heck, I will ask the inpertinent question.

What is Queen Elizebeth's bra size, waist and hip measurements?
Post by Daryl   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:28 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Forgot your meds again?
TFLYTSNBN wrote:What the heck, I will ask the inpertinent question.

Post by cthia   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:28 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

TFLY, I'm really surprised at the question. She has Queen sized assets, of course.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Theemile   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:39 am

Theemile
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:

TFLY, I'm really surprised at the question. She has Queen sized assets, of course.

"She has large..... Tracts of Land....."
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail
RFC said "refitting a Beowulfan SD to Manticoran standards would be just as difficult as refitting a standard SLN SD to those standards. In other words, it would be cheaper and faster to build new ships."
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:56 am

TFLYTSNBN

Theemile wrote:
cthia wrote:

"She has large..... Tracts of Land....."
-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The illustration in the HonorverseWikia certainly suggests Queen Size assets.

It has been to long since I watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I had forgotten that line.

I also need to watch A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM again.
Last edited by TFLYTSNBN on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post by TFLYTSNBN   » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:56 am

TFLYTSNBN

Daryl wrote:Forgot your meds again?

Did you forget your testosterone suppliments again?

Return to Honorverse