Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 129 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:To go completely in the opposite direction of the discussion above...when is Eloise going to call Honor by her first name? We've seen Honor call her "Eloise" and Elizabeth calling her that as well (with Pritchart reciprocating) but I've only ever seen Eloise call Honor by her titles or rank. Usually, the text specifically points out the first time someone uses a person's given name because it's significant in some fashion.

I personally hadn't realized that. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I would imagine that Honor still carries a bit o' that boogeywoman mystique. :lol:

Seriously, I think Honor should appear at a few planned venues on Haven, just to ensure Eloise's constituents that the Salamander isn't six meters tall. Just six feet? Might be a security nightmare though, and probably risky. If the MAlign were downwind of it, I can see them orchestrating a hit, possibly to make it look like Haven's people or at the very least, Haven's incompetence. I wonder if Manticoran ground forces could be used to augment Haven's? Hmmm

That's another use for the Ballroom. Bodyguard scare tactics!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:34 pm

George J. Smith
Commodore

As the topic title suggests.

1. Who is Charles and who does he really work for?

T&R
GJS
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:45 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:To go completely in the opposite direction of the discussion above...when is Eloise going to call Honor by her first name? We've seen Honor call her "Eloise" and Elizabeth calling her that as well (with Pritchart reciprocating) but I've only ever seen Eloise call Honor by her titles or rank. Usually, the text specifically points out the first time someone uses a person's given name because it's significant in some fashion.

Oh my God, I didn't even know I'd been waiting for this until you pointed it out.

You're right. This needs to happen. I have to wonder, though... is Eloise unconsciously distancing herself from Honor because of The Event of Which We Do Not Speak? We know she considers Honor a friend, that she trusts her - but is it possible she can't yet bridge that final gap because she still hasn't completely forgiven Honor for TEWWDNS?

I can hardly blame her, if that's the case. And yet... oh, I wish she could finally come to that point!

For what it's worth, I've speculated that Honor might in fact invite Eloise to make a state visit to Grayson, or more properly Harrington Steading. Where we know there is a sizable colony of treecats.... *innocent whistle*
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
Amaroq wrote:
To go completely in the opposite direction of the discussion above...when is Eloise going to call Honor by her first name? We've seen Honor call her "Eloise" and Elizabeth calling her that as well (with Pritchart reciprocating) but I've only ever seen Eloise call Honor by her titles or rank. Usually, the text specifically points out the first time someone uses a person's given name because it's significant in some fashion.

Oh my God, I didn't even know I'd been waiting for this until you pointed it out.

You're right. This needs to happen. I have to wonder, though... is Eloise unconsciously distancing herself from Honor because of The Event of Which We Do Not Speak? We know she considers Honor a friend, that she trusts her - but is it possible she can't yet bridge that final gap because she still hasn't completely forgiven Honor for TEWWDNS?

I can hardly blame her, if that's the case. And yet... oh, I wish she could finally come to that point!

For what it's worth, I've speculated that Honor might in fact invite Eloise to make a state visit to Grayson, or more properly Harrington Steading. Where we know there is a sizable colony of treecats.... *innocent whistle*

Nice call Rose. And I think you hit the nail on the head. Eloise just isn't quite ready to let Giscard completely go.

If revenge is a dish best served cold, then love is a dish best served hot; one wants to shout it on the rooftops. Eloise and Giscard never got that chance. I think she is still stunned. I would be. Immense responsibility, as has she, oftentimes diverts grieving.

Wonderful idea of a state visit to Grayson by Eloise. Can we say Steadholder apoplexy? Besides, Grayson needs a second chance at proving it can pull off a state visit without a hitch.

Now about this TEWWDNS — careful Rose, you're about to suggest a redesignation of TWTSNBN, to be the SD that killed Giscard.

I also recognize that you do not fail to seize upon opportunistic moments of shameless plugs for treecat-human bondings. :lol:

I forgot to ask, exactly how did Honor come to know the extent of Eloise's loss? It was a closely guarded secret. When did textev let the cat out of the bag? Anyone recall?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by bunyipbelle   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:59 pm

bunyipbelle
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:
Nice call Rose. And I think you hit the nail on the head. Eloise just isn't quite ready to let Giscard completely go.

If revenge is a dish best served cold, then love is a dish best served hot; one wants to shout it on the rooftops. Eloise and Giscard never got that chance. I think she is still stunned. I would be. Immense responsibility, as has she, oftentimes diverts grieving.

Wonderful idea of a state visit to Grayson by Eloise. Can we say Steadholder apoplexy? Besides, Grayson needs a second chance at proving it can pull off a state visit without a hitch.

Now about this TEWWDNS — careful Rose, you're about to suggest a redesignation of TWTSNBN, to be the SD that killed Giscard.

I also recognize that you do not fail to seize upon opportunistic moments of shameless plugs for treecat-human bondings. :lol:

I forgot to ask, exactly how did Honor come to know the extent of Eloise's loss? It was a closely guarded secret. When did textev let the cat out of the bag? Anyone recall?

Warning for Rose. Please close your eyes. I am about to mention the event of which we do not speak.

Honor finds out from Lester Tourville it is mentioned in chapter 7 Mission of Honor
When Honor "discussed the Republics leadership with Lester Tourville, he'd confirmed that Eighth Fleet had killed Javier Giscard, Pritchart's longtime lover at the Battle of Lovat.
That, in effect, Honor Alexander-Harrington had killed him"
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:48 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

bunyipbelle wrote:
cthia wrote:

Warning for Rose. Please close your eyes. I am about to mention the event of which we do not speak.

Honor finds out from Lester Tourville it is mentioned in chapter 7 Mission of Honor
When Honor "discussed the Republics leadership with Lester Tourville, he'd confirmed that Eighth Fleet had killed Javier Giscard, Pritchart's longtime lover at the Battle of Lovat.
That, in effect, Honor Alexander-Harrington had killed him"

Awww, thanks for the warning, belle!

Remember, Honor is empathic - when she met with Pritchart in MoH, she could feel Eloise's grief every time his name was mentioned, and also the reason for that grief.

*goes to cry some more*
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:27 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

One suspects the gravity focusing on the laser head comes from the Shaped charge we use now, or have been using up till DU penetrators / Magnesium penetrators came on the tank / anti-tank scene. And Chobham Armour or Reactive Armour or even the much more rare millimetre radar active armour.

One might start to see a new, for the books, armour that absorbs or reflects the energy of the laser head. Of course sidewalls are the HV shields making them stronger would seem to be the obvious solution.
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:58 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Do the Harrington Seniors have citizenship on Grayson? I know they don't need it. They could just get extended stay work visas if like here on Terra. Yet, their business on Grayson seems to go beyond just extended stay and I can't remember if citizenship has been granted.

Post by roseandheather   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:01 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:Do the Harrington Seniors have citizenship on Grayson? I know they don't need it. They could just get extended stay work visas if like here on Terra. Yet, their business on Grayson seems to go beyond just extended stay and I can't remember if citizenship has been granted.

Given that they were, until Raoul was born, the parents of the heir to Harrington Steading, I can't imagine that they don't. Never mind that they're the parents of the current Steadholder for that same steading!
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by cthia   » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:13 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
cthia wrote:Do the Harrington Seniors have citizenship on Grayson? I know they don't need it. They could just get extended stay work visas if like here on Terra. Yet, their business on Grayson seems to go beyond just extended stay and I can't remember if citizenship has been granted.

Given that they were, until Raoul was born, the parents of the heir to Harrington Steading, I can't imagine that they don't. Never mind that they're the parents of the current Steadholder for that same steading!

I can't imagine that they don't either, but I wanted to be sure because I have an ulterior motive.

Return to Honorverse