Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], penny and 135 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:42 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:I might be wandering into areas that might be uncomfortable for some but I hope it won't be too bad. I always had some question about prolong and reproduction. Specifically, how it affects female reproductive biology. Being a woman myself I wondered how prolong deals with the subjects of menstruation, fertility, menopause, etc...

It mainly came into focus with Honor's unexpected pregnancy and how she couldn't have known that her implant expired. I understand about not thinking to check medical records and paperwork but if the implant altered certain aspects of female reproductive biology than the reversion back to a "normal" state after it expired would probably have been recognizable (after all, a period is not exactly something you don't notice having). Considering that women don't continually produce eggs the way men produce sperm it would be interesting to figure out how prolong extends (or doesn't as the case may be) a woman's fertile years into the 100s (as evidenced by Allison's successful pregnancy).

I hope I haven't squicked too many people out. :D

"Grayson Navy Letters Home" mentions 'menstrual control nanites', which presumably do exactly what they say they do and sound like a gift from angels above.

I haven't really considered the issue too thoroughly, but presumably a tremendous increase in a woman's ability to control her fertility has rendered 'accidents' of the type Honor dealt with nearly unheard-of - after all, she had to die to have that sort of slip-up happen to her. I would also assume, therefore, that a woman can control when she ovulates, and can I move to the Honorverse now?
Last edited by roseandheather on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by KNick   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 pm

KNick
Admiral

drothgery wrote:
KNick wrote:Every once in a while (about 1 post in twenty), he gets something close enough to right that one of the truly knowledgeable people such as SWM or Relax or drothgery...
Heh.
I have Skimper ignored; if I respond to anything he says, it's in a quote.

It was very probably exactly that. Or else you were responding to a statement by someone else in one of his threads. Either way, you are one of the many knowledgeable people whose posts are worth reading.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Amaroq   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:50 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:
"Grayson Navy Letters Home" mentions 'menstrual control nanites', which presumably do exactly what they say they do and sound like a gift from angels above.

I haven't really considered the issue too thoroughly, but presumably a tremendous increase in a woman's ability to control her fertility has rendered 'accidents' of the type Honor dealt with nearly unheard-of - after all, she had to die to have that sort of slip-up happen to her. I would also assume, therefore, that a woman can control when she ovulates, and can I move to the Honorverse now?

I read "Grayson Navy Letters Home" but only once and so I didn't recall the mention of menstrual control nanites. You're right. I wonder if they help control ovulation because that's the only way to potentially extend a woman's fertility to match the increased lifespan she will have with prolong.

I'm with you Rose. Not having to deal with any of that feminine stuff that pesky biology dumps on you would be great. Like, really, really great.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by SWM   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:
roseandheather wrote:

I read "Grayson Navy Letters Home" but only once and so I didn't recall the mention of menstrual control nanites. You're right. I wonder if they help control ovulation because that's the only way to potentially extend a woman's fertility to match the increased lifespan she will have with prolong.

I'm with you Rose. Not having to deal with any of that feminine stuff that pesky biology dumps on you would be great. Like, really, really great.

I am far from an expert on this, but I have heard that the limitation on a woman's fertility is not because they run out of eggs. From what I understand, most women have enough eggs to be fertile for a hundred years or more, if their bodies let them.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:26 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

SWM wrote:I am far from an expert on this, but I have heard that the limitation on a woman's fertility is not because they run out of eggs. From what I understand, most women have enough eggs to be fertile for a hundred years or more, if their bodies let them.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!!

During their natural lifetimes, women release only a fraction of the eggs they are born with. Even tripling the woman's lifespan - and therefore her fertile years - wouldn't put a woman in danger of running out of eggs. Especially when combined with other measures that can control the reproductive cycle.

The issues I would be most wary of are simple wear-and-tear on the reproductive organs. Pregnancy is a stressful process even under ideal conditions, and while tubing eliminates most of the life-or-death risks associated with it, for those who carry their pregnancies to term without tubing - like Allison Harrington - there is still a certain amount of stress put on the uterus.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Amaroq   » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

I am assuming that since prolong extends out the biological aging process that it would similarly stretch out the time period during which the ovaries release mature eggs. I'm basing this on the assumption that prolong affects all aspects of the aging process simultaneously and at the same rate. However, I don't have any textev to really back that assumption up; it's just how I view prolong working.

It's a good thing they have those nanites. Can you imagine a universe in which women have their period for 200+ years?! Oh God. :shock:
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:29 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

... I only ask because you seem to fantasize your own solutions to problems --- frequently problems you invent as you go along --- which makes me wonder why I bothered to write the story in the first place. :roll:

In case you haven't figured it out, I write the books and I pretty much totally disagree with everything you've just said. In fact, there's so much wrong in this post that there is absolutely no point in trying to explain what it all is. :roll: :geek:

I'm tired enough at the moment to be cranky, :evil: but still . . .

I like to be consistent, Right or Wrong you all know where I stand.
Post by KNick   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:41 am

KNick
Admiral

In one of the books, I recall a comment that Alison was pregnant with Honor for over a T-year. Something about second generation prolong slowing the fetal growth was mentioned. It then went on to mention that third gen prolong did not have the same drawback, so Honor's pregnancy would be normal length.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:01 am

roseandheather
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:SNIP

It's a good thing they have those nanites. Can you imagine a universe in which women have their period for 200+ years?! Oh God. :shock:

That sound you just heard was me curling up in the foetal position and reaching for the nearest bottle of painkillers.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:13 am

Amaroq
Captain of the List

KNick wrote:In one of the books, I recall a comment that Alison was pregnant with Honor for over a T-year. Something about second generation prolong slowing the fetal growth was mentioned. It then went on to mention that third gen prolong did not have the same drawback, so Honor's pregnancy would be normal length.

I think I found the quotes you were looking for.

AoV, Miranda LaFollet:

"It's so much 'work' she insisted on carrying them to term the natural way, despite the fact that her prolong added two and a half months to the process."

That would make a second-generation prolong pregnancy ~11.5 months or about a year. Yeesh. Wonder what first-generation prolong gestation length is then?

AAC, Honor:

"And I'm third—generation prolong, not first or second-generation, so we're looking at a regular nine-month pregnancy."

Confirming a normal 9-month pregnancy for third-gen recipients.

Lastly, EoH, Allison Harrington:

My "biological clock" won't run down for another century or more yet!

Potentially indicating fertility into the 200s for second-gen recipients.

Return to Honorverse