Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kzt and 54 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by Duckk   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:33 pm

Duckk
Site Admin

/facepalm

Not this again. Skimper, David himself told you that the RMN is staying the RMN.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4990
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Lord Skimper wrote:Maybe not. The Queen was never the Empress.

IIRC, one of Victoria's titles was "Empress of India."

Elizabeth Winton is both Elizabeth III of the Star Kingdom of Manticore, and Elizabeth I of the Star Empire of Manticore. (Along with Duchess of Basalisk and a couple of other titles IIRC.)
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by Bill Woods   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

Weird Harold wrote:
Lord Skimper wrote:Maybe not. The Queen was never the Empress.

IIRC, one of Victoria's titles was "Empress of India."

Elizabeth Winton is both Elizabeth III of the Star Kingdom of Manticore, and Elizabeth I of the Star Empire of Manticore. (Along with Duchess of Basalisk and a couple of other titles IIRC.)
More than a couple:
Elizabeth Adrienne Samantha Annette Winton, Grand Commander of the Order of King Roger, Grand Commander of the Order of Queen Elizabeth I, Grand Commander of the Order of the Golden Lion, Baroness of Crystal Pine, Baroness of White Sand, Countess of Tannerman, Countess of High Garnet, Grand Duchess of Basilisk, Princess Protector of the Realm, and, by God's grace and the will of Parliament, Queen Elizabeth III of the Star Kingdom of Manticore, and Empress Elizabeth I of the Star Empire of Manticore
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:More than a couple:
Elizabeth Adrienne Samantha Annette Winton, ... and, by God's grace and the will of Parliament, Queen Elizabeth III of the Star Kingdom of Manticore, and Empress Elizabeth I of the Star Empire of Manticore

Yeah, I know. I just didn't want to confuse Skimpy any more than is normal for him. :twisted:
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by SWM   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:32 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

It's not clear where the rumors about the Torch wormhole came from. The only plausible source is somewhere in Manpower. We don't know whether the idea that it had multiple termini was deliberate misinformation, or a mangled version of the true report that Torch is (effectively) one of several termini of a junction, or a completely spurious rumor started by someone who had no real clue.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by Jonathan_S   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:42 pm

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Oops, I forgot to post. Are wormholes and resonance zones visible phenomena in the Honorverse? Were they discovered mostly via happenstance instead of calculation? This snipped passage, posted by Amaroq in another thread reminded me of my questions ...
As Amaroq said, they can be detected by grav sensors. But RFC said in a post a while back that there are also grav turbulence that can look a lot like a resonance zone. (And more powerful wormholes, and especially junctions, have more powerful RZs).

So if you're looking in the right place you can see there's grav turbulence, but you need fairly careful surveying to tell a real wormhole RZ from the much more common "noise" on the Alpha wall. Plus don't forget most wormholes are way outsystem, and most ships are going to come and go near the hyper limit. Ships there wouldn't be within sensor range of the actual wormhole; the most they'd see is the "noise" of the RZs turbulence.

Evens so, the Travis Long stories (I believe the one from the anthology) indicate that way back when when wormholes were first discovered, peoples went back through old sensor records looking for previously unrecognized grav signature hints of wormholes. So even those old ships could see enough, even when they didn't know what to look for, to help select systems worth of real surveys.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:54 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

The British Empire isn't an official or wasn't an official title. It was merely a meansofrefering to the whole political influence of the United Kingdom.

One might be the empress of thisarea queen of that, but when one is called Empress of all of it, one becomes the Empress of the Empire. The older lesser titles are supplanted by the new title. The barony of something navy gets absorbed into the Royal and later Imperial navy. It is still on a regimental level the barony of something naval unit. But it is part of the Royal or later Imperial Navy.

The SEM is now the Star Empire of Manticore. With an Empress. She may still be a Queen and a Princess and Lady and a Duchess and a Baronette but she is refered to as Empress. Not Duchess or Princess nor Queen. Empress.

Likewise the old Royal Manticorian Navy is now the Imperial Navy of Manticore. There still could be a Queens Own Regiment or a Royal Home Fleet. But the navy should, if follows any precedent, be called, now the Imperial Navy of Manticore or Imperial Manticorian Navy or Manticorian Imperial Navy.

This might not he a big deal with the small fry Navy it currently has. But once the Silesian and Talbott forces start producing units and crew your going to have Imperial Navy of the SEM and Royal Navy of the RMN. The RMN being the smallest of the systems. 1 system 2 stars 3 planets. Vs Talbott 15 systems, maybe more, 15+ stars 15+ planets. Not a kingdom but an Empire. Not the navy of a kingdom but the Navy of an Empire.

I know you are stuck in your way but you all claim not to be the conservatives, I would be a conservative. Yet your all so Conservative you can't see the Verse changing around you!

Silesia is not has never been and never will be part of the Kingdom of Manticore. It will be producing its own shops and its own crews and with 34 systems who knows how many stars and planets and the Imperial Navy will be 10-20 times the size of the Royal old navy of the Manticore system replaced with the rest of the Empire and its Empress Elizabeth the I. Not Queen. Not Royal Navy, Imperial Navy.

If you follow the process of and set titles of the Aristocrats then the RMN is now the IMN. If you just make something up then your Empress might have to bow to the visiting Earl of ...... With his Mighty fleet of Talbot MFT and the Baron of Silesia who has the Teutonic Navy the STN.

Or the RMN the MFT and the STN is now all IMN!

So stuck in the past you can't see the future.
Post by Duckk   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:06 am

Duckk
Site Admin

We know the future because David said what it will be. You are the one who can't accept it, not any of us.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:26 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

SWM wrote:It's not clear where the rumors about the Torch wormhole came from. The only plausible source is somewhere in Manpower. We don't know whether the idea that it had multiple termini was deliberate misinformation, or a mangled version of the true report that Torch is (effectively) one of several termini of a junction, or a completely spurious rumor started by someone who had no real clue.

You'll have to look in AAC or MOH, because I'm having a senior moment, but Albrecht Detweiler hosting a meeting of onion insiders has Asimovna telling the guy who runs ops in the Haven Sector (the guy who, Anisimovna points out, is NOT on the Strategy Board) about the rumors and the intentions of the Malign vis-a-vis Erewhon. It was a deliberate attempt to get Erewhon to give the Mantie tech to Technodyne. It wasn't in one of the Torch books, it was mainline, but I can't remember exactly where now.

Regards,

Rob
Post by Armed Neo-Bob   » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:04 pm

Armed Neo-Bob
Captain of the List

You said something like this in one of the first of your posts I ever read. And I suppose someone already said this, but here goes:

You have no concept of what an Empire is. Some historical empires were: Akkadian, Persian, Egyptian, Hunnish, Frankish, HRE of the German Nation, Scythian, Roman, Byzantine. In Europe, and in Asia, an empire was a combination of multiple polities, often of differing language and diverse lifestyles. All of them were combined political units of multiple language groups, and more than one ethnicity. All of them had an elite class of warriors and priests who controlled the society. NONE of them had the sort of authority or control you seem to be implying. While some ancient monarchs of that sort considered themselves avatars or living deities, they were totally aware of how easily they could be murdered and replaced. It happened a lot.

Don't confuse the propaganda with reality. The British empire was an empire, in the original sense-- a political unit controled by one element of a multi-ethnic popoulation. The other three that lasted into 20th century Europe were : Tsarist Russia (population of Russian, Polish, Czech/Slovak, Lithuanian, Finnish, Turkish, Mongol, Manchurian), Ottoman Turkey (population: Turkish, Greek, Romanian (Vlach), Kurdish, Armenian, Bulgarian, Azeri, Georgian, Iranian, Arab, Berber), and Austria-Hungary (where the population was mixed Slavic, German, Romanian, Turkish, Ruthenian, Magyar). You might want to read some history and/or political theory before you make such blanket statements.

One of the big problems for the Russsian military in the 1980s was the fact that a lot of their soldiers couldn't read Russian very well--they had a lot of maintenance problems. And sometimes some very funny radio chatter during their exercises.

You stir up a lot of discussion, but this is real life. The titles and perogatives of the British are a matter of public law, and record. And the fiction under discussion is Weber's.

Regards,

Rob

Lord Skimper wrote:The British Empire isn't an official or wasn't an official title. It was merely a meansofrefering to the whole political influence of the United Kingdom.

One might be the empress of thisarea queen of that, but when one is called Empress of all of it, one becomes the Empress of the Empire. The older lesser titles are supplanted by the new title. The barony of something navy gets absorbed into the Royal and later Imperial navy. It is still on a regimental level the barony of something naval unit. But it is part of the Royal or later Imperial Navy.

The SEM is now the Star Empire of Manticore. With an Empress. She may still be a Queen and a Princess and Lady and a Duchess and a Baronette but she is refered to as Empress. Not Duchess or Princess nor Queen. Empress.

Likewise the old Royal Manticorian Navy is now the Imperial Navy of Manticore. There still could be a Queens Own Regiment or a Royal Home Fleet. But the navy should, if follows any precedent, be called, now the Imperial Navy of Manticore or Imperial Manticorian Navy or Manticorian Imperial Navy.

This might not he a big deal with the small fry Navy it currently has. But once the Silesian and Talbott forces start producing units and crew your going to have Imperial Navy of the SEM and Royal Navy of the RMN. The RMN being the smallest of the systems. 1 system 2 stars 3 planets. Vs Talbott 15 systems, maybe more, 15+ stars 15+ planets. Not a kingdom but an Empire. Not the navy of a kingdom but the Navy of an Empire.

I know you are stuck in your way but you all claim not to be the conservatives, I would be a conservative. Yet your all so Conservative you can't see the Verse changing around you!

Silesia is not has never been and never will be part of the Kingdom of Manticore. It will be producing its own shops and its own crews and with 34 systems who knows how many stars and planets and the Imperial Navy will be 10-20 times the size of the Royal old navy of the Manticore system replaced with the rest of the Empire and its Empress Elizabeth the I. Not Queen. Not Royal Navy, Imperial Navy.

If you follow the process of and set titles of the Aristocrats then the RMN is now the IMN. If you just make something up then your Empress might have to bow to the visiting Earl of ...... With his Mighty fleet of Talbot MFT and the Baron of Silesia who has the Teutonic Navy the STN.

Or the RMN the MFT and the STN is now all IMN!

Return to Honorverse