Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by hanuman   » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:20 pm

hanuman
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:As a lifelong fan of the Chicago Cubs, I would like to join you in solidarity for the worst kind of pain a baseball fan can feel. :( 8-)

I tend to think that American football is a sport for sissies, with all that padding. Don't even think of asking what I think of basketball.

Baseball, on the other hand, is a fantastic sport. I don't understand half the terms used, but it actually makes sense and is interesting enough to keep me engaged.
Post by Amaroq   » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Does anyone else hope that the RMN never gets re-named the IMN (Imperial Manticoran Navy)? I suppose that the latter term is more correct because Manticore is an empire now but I just don't like the sound of it. Besides, for the entirety of the story it's been the Royal Manticoran Navy and something about the name just seems right.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by drothgery   » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:55 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:Does anyone else hope that the RMN never gets re-named the IMN (Imperial Manticoran Navy)? I suppose that the latter term is more correct because Manticore is an empire now but I just don't like the sound of it. Besides, for the entirety of the story it's been the Royal Manticoran Navy and something about the name just seems right.

There's no indication that the Star Empire has any plans to rename the RMN. And there's plenty of historical precedent for an empire retaining a Royal Navy.
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:58 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:Does anyone else hope that the RMN never gets re-named the IMN (Imperial Manticoran Navy)? I suppose that the latter term is more correct because Manticore is an empire now but I just don't like the sound of it. Besides, for the entirety of the story it's been the Royal Manticoran Navy and something about the name just seems right.

Even at the height of the British Empire, the Navy was still the Royal Navy. I think we're safe. :D
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by lyonheart   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:42 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Cythia,

You only read EoH once? :o ;)

Is it within easy access for you?

I'm shocked and dismayed, its one of my favorites.

Well, all of them are my favorites, with all sorts of post-it notes, as RFC knows, and I've gone through some of them again recently, when questions arise regarding exactly who did or said what etc.

From the textev of EoH, there were no Manticoran or other allies remaining behind, indeed HH's problem was finding enough navy veterans for her Elysian Space Navy, barely 6000 out of over 600,000 prisoners. ;)

While Horace Harkness [another HH ;) ] might have ruined the personnel files, they had to turn over control of Camp Sharon to those remaining behind including the pinnaces and shuttles to keep distributing the food until the SS etc finally showed up again, since some 217+K [~35%] remained behind.

I suspect they wanted their records intact to indicate they were worthy or repatriation etc.

While they didn't know it, Eloise's probable 'rescue and release' might have happened within 18-20 T-month's.

L

cthia wrote:
SWM wrote:*quote="cthia"*

You may be right Hutch. I only vaguely remember a passage which stated that all of the passengers 'who wanted' to leave did. My memory is a bit hazy, but I thought some chose to remain behind - that were not PRH citizens. Although I couldn't guarantee it.*quote*
Many did choose to stay behind. But there was no mention of Manticorans among them, and it seems likely that all Manticorans would have wanted to leave. There weren't that many Manticorans on Hades to start with.

crewdude48 wrote:
In fact, you could make a very good case that any sailor from an Alliance navy on planet that was offered the chance to escape and didn't would be guilty of desertion and dereliction of duty. Their duty is to continue the fight to protect their home world from the PRH, regardless of danger to themselves. Furthermore, Fleet Admeral (GSN) Herrington had every right, as senior Alliance officer on planet, to order any Allied military person to participate in the escape. So they would also be guilty of disobeying a lawful order. At least two of those are capital crimes in wartime, so I doubt that any Allied personell were left on planet.

I'm sure that you're both right. My memory is fuzzy. I only read that book once. I thought that it was Rear Admiral Style's blustering and overall lack of support and confidence in the plan that frightened some into electing to remain out of fear of StateSec reprisal. I'm probably wrong. No need to be afraid of capital crimes while forever stuck in hell.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

lyonheart wrote:
Hi Cythia,

You only read EoH once? :o ;)

Is it within easy access for you?

I'm shocked and dismayed, its one of my favorites.

Well, all of them are my favorites, with all sorts of post-it notes, as RFC knows, and I've gone through some of them again recently, when questions arise regarding exactly who did or said what etc.

From the textev of EoH, there were no Manticoran or other allies remaining behind, indeed HH's problem was finding enough navy veterans for her Elysian Space Navy, barely 6000 out of over 600,000 prisoners. ;)

While Horace Harkness [another HH ;) ] might have ruined the personnel files, they had to turn over control of Camp Sharon to those remaining behind including the pinnaces and shuttles to keep distributing the food until the SS etc finally showed up again, since some 217+K [~35%] remained behind.

I suspect they wanted their records intact to indicate they were worthy or repatriation etc.

While they didn't know it, Eloise's probable 'rescue and release' might have happened within 18-20 T-month's.

L

Yes Lyonheart, I only read Echos of Honor only once. Not because I don't like it. I do. But you have to understand, as explained in my Web of Honor thread, that I only discovered the Honorverse three summers ago (counting this one) and just a few months ago discovered the many books that I didn't even know about, the anthologies and the like, and my busy technical career and the fact that I'm diligently working on a paper to be published, et cetera et cetera, and the fact that I've just — since January — discovered my first social site, this forum (yay) — that eats up copius amounts of my time — well ...

Thanks for clearing that up about the passengers. I certainly think they should be freed if there were some remaining. My apologies and thanks to all who attempted to correct me.

cthia wrote:
SWM wrote:*quote="cthia"*

You may be right Hutch. I only vaguely remember a passage which stated that all of the passengers 'who wanted' to leave did. My memory is a bit hazy, but I thought some chose to remain behind - that were not PRH citizens. Although I couldn't guarantee it.*quote*
Many did choose to stay behind. But there was no mention of Manticorans among them, and it seems likely that all Manticorans would have wanted to leave. There weren't that many Manticorans on Hades to start with.

crewdude48 wrote:
In fact, you could make a very good case that any sailor from an Alliance navy on planet that was offered the chance to escape and didn't would be guilty of desertion and dereliction of duty. Their duty is to continue the fight to protect their home world from the PRH, regardless of danger to themselves. Furthermore, Fleet Admeral (GSN) Herrington had every right, as senior Alliance officer on planet, to order any Allied military person to participate in the escape. So they would also be guilty of disobeying a lawful order. At least two of those are capital crimes in wartime, so I doubt that any Allied personell were left on planet.

I'm sure that you're both right. My memory is fuzzy. I only read that book once. I thought that it was Rear Admiral Style's blustering and overall lack of support and confidence in the plan that frightened some into electing to remain out of fear of StateSec reprisal. I'm probably wrong. No need to be afraid of capital crimes while forever stuck in hell.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:37 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Oops, I forgot to post. Are wormholes and resonance zones visible phenomena in the Honorverse? Were they discovered mostly via happenstance instead of calculation? This snipped passage, posted by Amaroq in another thread reminded me of my questions ...

Stop that, she scolded herself. They may never have been tested by another ship, but Kare and his crowd have put over sixty probes into this terminus to compile the readings your precious numbers are based on! Which was true, as far as it went. On the other hand, she reflected with another almost-smile, not a single one of those probes has ever come back again, has it now?
Of course they hadn't. Nothing smaller than a starship could mount a hyper generator, and only something with a hyper generator could hope to pass through a wormhole junction terminus. The scientists' probes had reported faithfully right up to the moment they encountered the interface of the terminus itself, at which point they had simply ceased to exist.
Unlike them, Zachary's ship did have a hyper generator. Which mean Harvest Joy could pass safely through the hyper-space interface which had destroyed the probes . . . probably. Whether or not she would survive whatever lay on the other side of it was another matter, of course. After all, there were all of those deliciously terrifying, venerable legends about the rogue wormholes whose termini deposited doomed travelers directly into the heart of a black hole or some other suitably lethal destination. Not that anyone had ever actually found a wormhole where warships made transit in but never made transit out again.
As if anyone were about to let anything as boring as reality interfere with perfectly good legends, she told herself, and glanced sideways at Kare.
If the astrophysicist cherished any concerns of his own, they were admirably concealed. He stood at the astrogator's shoulder, blue-gray eyes intent as he watched Harvest Joy's progress with total concentration, and the mere fact of his presence ought to be reassuring. Certainly, the RMAIA would scarcely have allowed its chief scientist, his three senior assistants, and over two hundred of its other scientific personnel to depart aboard Harvest Joy if it hadn't been completely confident of their safety, Zachary thought.

Surely the tales about emerging into the heart of blackholes are simply ... tales. I don't understand what the scientists expected from the probes ... other than the coordinates of interface and the magnitude of interference, suggesting optimal entry point/space.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:30 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Oops, I forgot to post. Are wormholes and resonance zones visible phenomena in the Honorverse? Were they discovered mostly via happenstance instead of calculation?

Surely the tales about emerging into the heart of blackholes are simply ... tales. I don't understand what the scientists expected from the probes ... other than the coordinates of interface and the magnitude of interference, suggesting optimal entry point/space.

I got the sense that wormholes and such aren't visible phenomena. They are found using gravitic detectors (i.e. Warshawskis) and perhaps instruments that can detect other parts of the electromagnetic spectrum aside from visible light. It is an interesting question though. What, exactly, does a ship "see" as it approaches a wormhole terminus?
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

As I was re-reading some of the books recently I came across several references to the Torch wormhole having multiple termini.

From CoS courtesy of Victor Cachat.

And now it's been discovered that Congo's system has a wormhole junction with no fewer than three termini. Since the wormhole was first found by Mesan interests only a short while ago, the presumption is that at least one of them connects to the Solarian League. But nobody really knows where its termini lead to, except the Mesans

And again in SoS...

And, of course, her very own wormhole junction.
With termini whose locations none of her people, so far, knew the least thing about, since Manpower either hadn't explored them itself or had managed to destroy the data before it lost Congo.

However, when we pick up the thread of the story in ToF and later books Dr. Kare stated that despite previous rumors that Torch's wormhole is only a singleton or a bridge.

Frankly, despite the rumors to the contrary, I'll be surprised if there's more than one additional terminus associated with it—it looks a lot like one end of a two-loci system, what we call a 'wormhole bridge,' unlike the multi-loci 'junctions' like the Manticore Junction.

I was just curious as to where the rumors came from? Cachat and Helen Zilwicki (the source of the second quote) seemed pretty certain of their information. I figured that until the wormhole was properly surveyed there was no way to know what its configuration was but the "multiple terminus theory" was presented by two different sources as pretty strong fact.
Post by Lord Skimper   » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:

Even at the height of the British Empire, the Navy was still the Royal Navy. I think we're safe. :D

Maybe not. The Queen was never the Empress. The royal navy is such because they swear allegiance to the Queen (or King), who is a Royal not an Imperial entity. Elizabeth the III has decided she is now Elizabeth the First Empress. It is only right to change the RMN to IMN. As befits her Imperial Majesty.

Return to Honorverse