Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 163 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by SharkHunter   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:45 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

They'd basically have to lie stupidly and get caught in it before you could catch them. (Or fail to lie about something that they should have - like a wanted criminal on their crew)

Vs a military grade inertial compensator and say a ship with a "tuner problem" headed towards a grav-wave? Honor/Fearless CL-56 are already in possession of a communication showing that Haven was up to it's elbows in the "native insurrection", and the interrogate by comms question is simply a pretext to "play cop" and say "pull over to the side of the road, Capt. Coglin".

If it wasn't a Q-ship, then even that would have stopped a communique after Sirius reached the hyperspace limit and went off to the Havenite task force. A more interesting bit is that Coglin was planning on telling that task force to stand down because Honor's marines and pinnaces had prevented any pretext for seizing the planet and terminus to begin with, which is WAY less fun for us as readers than that first death ride, and worse yet doesn't put Honor in the Heavy Cruiser version of Fearless in HotQ.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by akira.taylor   » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:38 pm

akira.taylor
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:<SNIP>

In matters like this, wasn't the Solarian League the neutral arbitrator in the past, in situations such as this, if something had gone down, and needed to be adjudicated?

Who will substitute for the League in this fashion now?

The League was seen as neutral (and generally was, except for the corruption and influence of the trans-stellars), so it acted as arbitrator when asked. It had the added advantage of being big enough to smack people if they then ignore the settlement.

Eventually, a new default may be decided on, or it will be some mix of the major powers. Possibly, they will enter into some form of treaty to do it together. Officially, it would still be non-binding, but if you make a habit of ignoring findings against you (and taking actions that result in findings against you), they might start being grumpy (higher tolls, more scrutiny, etc.).
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:11 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

What would I like to know?

I'd like to know if I'm the only one who sees sexual tension between Henke and Oversteegen.

(I know, I know, I've been championing Henke/Tourville and Oversteegen/Hearns for months. Unfortunately, Michael and Michelle don't seem interested in logic....)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Hutch   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:22 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

roseandheather wrote:What would I like to know?

I'd like to know if I'm the only one who sees sexual tension between Henke and Oversteegen.

Why Yes, yes you are.

8-) 8-) :D :D :D

Seriously, I see them closer to Brother/Sister. (I mean, how many times have you wanted to give your sibling a dope slap--sometimes just for General Principles)?
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:31 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Hutch wrote:

Why Yes, yes you are.

Seriously, I see them closer to Brother/Sister. (I mean, how many times have you wanted to give your sibling a dope slap--sometimes just for General Principles)?

Honestly, I waver a bit. Sometimes I do see them as more of a bickering brother-sister duo.

But then, I also grew up on Han and Leia. :mrgreen:

Because sometimes you want to Dope Slap your sibling no matter how much (or sometimes because of, as my own very Oversteegen-ish brother can attest) you love them -- and sometimes you just want to Dope Slap someone because you can't admit that you'd really rather be doing other, much more R-rated things with them. :mrgreen:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:45 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:

Why Yes, yes you are.

Gotta 'gree with Hutch here. Michelle's too much of a groupie. She'll fall for someone in her harem. Oversteegen's too much like family. She'll require someone more ... common. Someone who's acquired good social skills but not so loftily born. It's one reason she and Honor got on so well. Michelle's not into the aristocratic type. Which is just as well since Mesa and Murphy might call upon her need to marry a commoner.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:

Why Yes, yes you are.

cthia wrote:Gotta 'gree with Hutch here. Michelle's too much of a groupie. She'll fall for someone in her harem. Oversteegen's too much like family. She'll require someone more ... common. Someone who's acquired good social skills but not so loftily born. It's one reason she and Honor got on so well. Michelle's not into the aristocratic type. Which is just as well since Mesa and Murphy might call upon her need to marry a commoner.

Personally, I think it's very possible Michelle could fall in love with an Andermani. Just not one so loftily born. After all, Germans love black skin. It's been fashionable to them since the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin when Jesse Owens "single-handedly crushed Hitler's myth of Aryan supremacy."

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by drothgery   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:08 pm

drothgery
Admiral

Nope. Of course, getting them in a position where doing anything about it wouldn't be inappropriate is going to take a while ...
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:17 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

drothgery wrote:

Nope. Of course, getting them in a position where doing anything about it wouldn't be inappropriate is going to take a while ...

I wonder which'll come first... their breaking point, or Michael getting transferred to a different fleet? :D

...I may have spent a little too much time contemplating this. And I have no regrets. :mrgreen:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by cthia   » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:10 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Are we absolutely sure that the Solarian League - some rogue element thereof, isn't in cahoots with the MALign, even if forcibly so?

What if the MALign, and it seems that they would, have their own version of the North Hollow files with a noose around key Solarians' necks. Solarians who may know exactly where the Mesan bolthole is.

Return to Honorverse