Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], penny and 140 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Pokermind,

Thanks for making me laugh!

On the subject of babies, I posited about 8 years ago that the old star kingdom was up to 4 billion, given a biologically young population and a near 1% annual growth rate over 20+ years, but we got that textev that stated it was barely 3 billion when that was less than the 3.4215 billion in More than Honor [pages 352-354 in PB]; ~1.5 B om Manticore, 1.048 B on Sphinx, and 873.5 M in Manticore B.

But that's water under the bridge although just transposing the '3' to a '4' for might work for new editions. :D

L

pokermind wrote:Why can I hear Kevin and Ginny kid in school saying, my dad can kill your dad unless momma kills him first.

Poker :lol:

saber964 wrote:*quote="cthia"*Babies? Why aren't there more babies? Does not anyone believe in putting buns in the oven? Even with Honor it was an accident. This prolong thing gives too much extra time to put off having children. The Honorverse needs more babies. Babcock and Harkness should be primed for a little ass kicking baby girl by now. Cachat and Thandi - whatever nature will deliver unto those two. And Helga Boltitz and Gwen Archer would make a lovely bubble of joy. Just like my almost mother-in-law, where are the babies? Especially since tubing is so popular and akin to ordering a new edition.

I certainly hope Honor never tells Raoul he was an accident.*quote*
How about Berry and Hugh, or Roger and Rivka, or Anton and Cathy, or Kevin and Ginny
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Greentea   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:10 pm

Greentea
Commander

What are the odds that Ginny can have kids naturally? If Manpower is willing to ensure that domestic servant models like Jeremy X can't grow facial hair because clients do not like bearded butlers, why would they make "pleasure" models like Ginny be fertile? After all, that could create "unwanted complications" for purchasers, unless they ask for the feature. If Kevin and Ginny want kids, it's likely they'd need to contact someone like Alison Harrington or Dr. Ilescue. Also I could see Kevin worrying that his job could put both Ginny and the kid(s) at risk. Maybe he'd try and claim that they are Victor's? It'd be a big decision for Kevin and Ginny and accidental children appear to be unlikely.

pokermind wrote:Why can I hear Kevin and Ginny kid in school saying, my dad can kill your dad unless momma kills him first.

saber964 wrote: cthia: Babies? Why aren't there more babies? Does not anyone believe in putting buns in the oven? Even with Honor it was an accident. This prolong thing gives too much extra time to put off having children. The Honorverse needs more babies. Babcock and Harkness should be primed for a little ass kicking baby girl by now. Cachat and Thandi - whatever nature will deliver unto those two. And Helga Boltitz and Gwen Archer would make a lovely bubble of joy. Just like my almost mother-in-law, where are the babies? Especially since tubing is so popular and akin to ordering a new edition.

I certainly hope Honor never tells Raoul he was an accident.
How about Berry and Hugh, or Roger and Rivka, or Anton and Cathy, or Kevin and Ginny
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by lyonheart   » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:26 pm

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Greentea,

Kudos for the excellent question!

That could well be a stumbling block, so that they might need some encouragement from Alison etc.

L

Greentea wrote:What are the odds that Ginny can have kids naturally? If Manpower is willing to ensure that domestic servant models like Jeremy X can't grow facial hair because clients do not like bearded butlers, why would they make "pleasure" models like Ginny be fertile? After all, that could create "unwanted complications" for purchasers, unless they ask for the feature. If Kevin and Ginny want kids, it's likely they'd need to contact someone like Alison Harrington or Dr. Ilescue. Also I could see Kevin worrying that his job could put both Ginny and the kid(s) at risk. Maybe he'd try and claim that they are Victor's? It'd be a big decision for Kevin and Ginny and accidental children appear to be unlikely.

*quote="pokermind"*Why can I hear Kevin and Ginny kid in school saying, my dad can kill your dad unless momma kills him first.

saber964 wrote: cthia: Babies? Why aren't there more babies? Does not anyone believe in putting buns in the oven? Even with Honor it was an accident. This prolong thing gives too much extra time to put off having children. The Honorverse needs more babies. Babcock and Harkness should be primed for a little ass kicking baby girl by now. Cachat and Thandi - whatever nature will deliver unto those two. And Helga Boltitz and Gwen Archer would make a lovely bubble of joy. Just like my almost mother-in-law, where are the babies? Especially since tubing is so popular and akin to ordering a new edition.

*quote*
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!
Post by Roguevictory   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:47 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:Babies? Why aren't there more babies? Does not anyone believe in putting buns in the oven? Even with Honor it was an accident. This prolong thing gives too much extra time to put off having children. The Honorverse needs more babies. Babcock and Harkness should be primed for a little ass kicking baby girl by now. Cachat and Thandi - whatever nature will deliver unto those two. And Helga Boltitz and Gwen Archer would make a lovely bubble of joy. Just like my almost mother-in-law, where are the babies? Especially since tubing is so popular and akin to ordering a new edition.

Yeah telling a child,even if they've grown up, that can really mess your relationship with them up. My grandad was semi drunk one time and told mom that she, her brother, and youngest sister were mistakes when she was around 30 and their relationship never really recovered from that.
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:00 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:
cthia wrote:
Babies? Why aren't there more babies? Does not anyone believe in putting buns in the oven? Even with Honor it was an accident. This prolong thing gives too much extra time to put off having children. The Honorverse needs more babies. Babcock and Harkness should be primed for a little ass kicking baby girl by now. Cachat and Thandi - whatever nature will deliver unto those two. And Helga Boltitz and Gwen Archer would make a lovely bubble of joy. Just like my almost mother-in-law, where are the babies? Especially since tubing is so popular and akin to ordering a new edition.

Yeah telling a child,even if they've grown up, that can really mess your relationship with them up. My grandad was semi drunk one time and told mom that she, her brother, and youngest sister were mistakes when she was around 30 and their relationship never really recovered from that.

I'm really sorry about that. It is such an insensitive thing to say to a child, of any age. If there were always lots of love shown them, it might be recoverable. Nevertheless, it may always be damaging.

It is for that same reason I hope Honor would never. It could drive Raoul to the dark side. Especially if he found out too soon.

Honor is too smart for that though. And since textev bore witness to how much Honor was loved, was shown love, and knew she was loved, well I am certain she knows the importance of it - specifically since Honor always thought herself a homely little duckling, moreso, compared to her exotically beautiful mother, and often stated herself that it was the knowledge of her mother's love, her parents' love, that was her lifeline.

However, it is a little bomb her enemies could always drop, so Honor may have to, lovingly find a way to let little Raoul in on.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:06 am

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:I'm really sorry about that. It is such an insensitive thing to say to a child, of any age. If there were always lots of love shown them, it might be recoverable. Nevertheless, it may always be damaging.

It is for that same reason I hope Honor would never. It could drive Raoul to the dark side. Especially if he found out too soon.

Honor is too smart for that though. And since textev bore witness to how much Honor was loved, was shown love, and knew she was loved, well I am certain she knows the importance of it - specifically since Honor always thought herself a homely little duckling, moreso, compared to her exotically beautiful mother, and often stated herself that it was the knowledge of her mother's love, her parents' love, that was her lifeline.

However, it is a little bomb her enemies could always drop, so Honor may have to, lovingly find a way to let little Raoul in on.

There's a difference between being unplanned and unwanted, though. We know Honor wanted kids eventually; hers just happened to come along sooner than she planned and quite unintentionally. I actually agree that she does need to tell him, just to make sure someone else won't - but I'm sure she can make it clear that just because he came along a little earlier than expected doesn't mean he was unwanted.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Daryl   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 am

Daryl
Fleet Admiral

Probably half the human beings alive today came from unplanned pregnancies. Call it an accident, contraception failure, earlier than intended, result of a drunken encounter, just what happened; we all seem to handle it well. Obviously those alive were wanted as abortion has always been available either legally or not. If someone is upset about being told that their conception was accidental, then they need to accept it and get on with their lives.

roseandheather wrote:
cthia wrote:I'm really sorry about that. It is such an insensitive thing to say to a child, of any age. If there were always lots of love shown them, it might be recoverable. Nevertheless, it may always be damaging.

There's a difference between being unplanned and unwanted, though. We know Honor wanted kids eventually; hers just happened to come along sooner than she planned and quite unintentionally. I actually agree that she does need to tell him, just to make sure someone else won't - but I'm sure she can make it clear that just because he came along a little earlier than expected doesn't mean he was unwanted.
Post by Weird Harold   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:00 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:There's a difference between being unplanned and unwanted, ...

Knowing that I'm a "Hunting Accident" hasn't hampered my self-image or relationship with my parents in any negative way. Being a hunting accident just meant that there was 3.1 years between my sister and me instead of the planned four years.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by cthia   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:01 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Daryl wrote:
Probably half the human beings alive today came from unplanned pregnancies. Call it an accident, contraception failure, earlier than intended, result of a drunken encounter, just what happened; we all seem to handle it well. Obviously those alive were wanted as abortion has always been available either legally or not. If someone is upset about being told that their conception was accidental, then they need to accept it and get on with their lives.

You very well may be correct on the statistics. But I seriously doubt that the majority of that half will ever find out the circumstances of their conception, partly because of Rose's point that unplanned doesn't necessarily mean unwanted; moreover, initially unwanted does not necessarily prevent ultimately loved. I know a couple who wanted only one child, eventually. But didn't plan on the triplets, that broken contraceptive delivered. Their parents often tell the story. What they said they didn't want, is the many boys (me included) that came to court their three beautiful daughters. They were telling this story in High School, but it was no question that these kids were thoroughly loved.

Additionally, an awful parent often manifests itself long before knowledge of being unwanted or unplanned, and that the actual knowledge forthcoming may be the least of the child's problems. In some cases, I can conceive of the knowledge actually being welcome to the child — to explain their horrible parent(s)' actions to be the result of their own problem, and nothing personal.

What's important, is the level of love these kids are given before they are ever told, and the relationship between parent(s) and child — and whether the child was informed with malice; then it possibly becomes a birth defect.

It also depends on the emotional state of the child. It is easier for someone else to suggest to them to move beyond it, but may never understand their emotional or psychological state, or life's circumstances that contributed, or the many hours of trauma subjected upon them by resentful parents.

One thing I think we can all agree upon, is revelation should come from the parent(s) with love, and not from a mean kid in school that heard it thru the grapevine.

I simply cannot dispel my feelings of empathy toward negative assimilation of a child's knowledge that they were an accident, simply because I know the warm feeling it brings absolutely knowing that I was planned and wanted. Both of my parents wanted lots of children. I have 5 brothers and 5 sisters, 11 of us. My mother's only regret was that her obligations prevented her from having more! My father's sentiments were to please his wife, and he often joked that he wouldn't have had it any other way, because eventually we were the ones in trouble, and not him, and that having many kids eventually meant less work for him!

It is just a wonderfully warm feeling knowing that you were both wanted and loved. We all argue over who was my mother's favorite. She was just that loving. However, us boys know for a fact that my sisters were my father's favorite. It is hard not to love those girls. Extraordinarily beautiful and sweet as honey.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by n7axw   » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:27 am

n7axw
Fleet Admiral

While this is not definitive for Ginny, it is at least encouraging to remember that Helen Zilwicki's boyfriend's parents were both pleasure slaves.

Don
When any group seeks political power in God's name, both religion and politics are instantly corrupted.

Return to Honorverse