Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by Fox2!   » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:23 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

Jonathan_S wrote:The only question is whether her later honorary Captaincy of HMS Unconquered entitled her to a 6th command hyper command star (in addition to making her the only flag officer in the RMN that can wear the white beret of command).

The color plate of Honor in HOS appears to have stars for:
Hawkwing
Fearless
Fearless
Nike
Wayfarer
(PNS Ship taken at Hades)
Unconquered

But the angle is kind of bad and I'm not sure if there are six or seven stars.
Post by Robert_A_Woodward   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:25 am

Robert_A_Woodward
Captain of the List

Fox2! wrote:
Jonathan_S wrote:The only question is whether her later honorary Captaincy of HMS Unconquered entitled her to a 6th command hyper command star (in addition to making her the only flag officer in the RMN that can wear the white beret of command).

The color plate of Honor in HOS appears to have stars for:
Hawkwing
Fearless
Fearless
Nike
Wayfarer
(PNS Ship taken at Hades)
Unconquered

But the angle is kind of bad and I'm not sure if there are six or seven stars.

I looked closely and I count only 6 stars (besides, it is was Admiral Harrington, GSN, who was commanding the former PNS "Farnese"). BTW that uniform appears to be missing her Protector's Own shoulder flash (a flame-enshrouded salamander).
----------------------------
Beowulf was bad.
(first sentence of Chapter VI of _Space Viking_ by H. Beam Piper)
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:22 am

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

I don't think it will. HMS Unconquered might still be technically hyper-capable, but it's unlikely the RMN has kept hyper generators aboard a 400-year-old ship. Or weapons. Even if it is hyper-capable, it's hyper-inadviseable. :)
Post by B9Lurker   » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:57 am

B9Lurker
BuNine

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

I don't think it will. HMS Unconquered might still be technically hyper-capable, but it's unlikely the RMN has kept hyper generators aboard a 400-year-old ship. Or weapons. Even if it is hyper-capable, it's hyper-inadviseable. :)

Hi, I haven't posted in ages! But this one is close to my heart :) I make up the ribbon rack and hyper-stars for HH for that book. There are six hyper-stars on the cover of HoS;

1. HMS Hawkwing (DD-1213)
2. HMS Fearless (CL-56)
3. HMS Fearless (CA-286)
4. HMS Nike (BC-413)
5. HMAMC Wayfarer
6. HMS Unconquered (CL-16)

Even though it's permanently in a parking orbit around Manticore, it's very much like the Royal Navy's wet version HMS Victory, which while is permanently in dry dock, it's still a commissioned ship and a command post (for the 1st Sea Lord). So HMS Unconquered is a non moving active ship which grants the captain a hyper-star and of course the white beret. :D

Best Regards.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:58 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

B9Lurker wrote:Hi, I haven't posted in ages! But this one is close to my heart :) I make up the ribbon rack and hyper-stars for HH for that book. There are six hyper-stars on the cover of HoS;

2. HMS Fearless (CL-56)
3. HMS Fearless (CA-286)
4. HMS Nike (BC-413)
5. HMAMC Wayfarer

Even though it's permanently in a parking orbit around Manticore, it's very much like the Royal Navy's wet version HMS Victory, which while is permanently in dry dock, it's still a commissioned ship and a command post (for the 1st Sea Lord). So HMS Unconquered is a non moving active ship which grants the captain a hyper-star and of course the white beret. :D

Best Regards.

Hello B9Lurker

The cover that is on Amazon does not show the stars on Honor's breast. Are you talking about an artwork on a different edition? On this one, we can only see the ones on the collar and there are indeed six of them visible. However, the tunic stars are her Admiral stars, four on each side (UH cover shows her with five stars of a Fleet Admiral).

Compare that to the single star on the man's breast and the rank insignia on his collar, which I can't really make out. If that's King Roger, it would match the single star on the wiki page on him, which was for HMS Daimyo.

I don't doubt you're right Honor should wear six, but this cover is not the evidence we're looking for.
Post by B9Lurker   » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:55 pm

B9Lurker
BuNine

ThinksMarkedly wrote:
B9Lurker wrote:Hi, I haven't posted in ages! But this one is close to my heart :) I make up the ribbon rack and hyper-stars for HH for that book. There are six hyper-stars on the cover of HoS;

2. HMS Fearless (CL-56)
3. HMS Fearless (CA-286)
4. HMS Nike (BC-413)
5. HMAMC Wayfarer

Best Regards.

Hello B9Lurker

The cover that is on Amazon does not show the stars on Honor's breast. Are you talking about an artwork on a different edition? On this one, we can only see the ones on the collar and there are indeed six of them visible. However, the tunic stars are her Admiral stars, four on each side (UH cover shows her with five stars of a Fleet Admiral).

Compare that to the single star on the man's breast and the rank insignia on his collar, which I can't really make out. If that's King Roger, it would match the single star on the wiki page on him, which was for HMS Daimyo.

I don't doubt you're right Honor should wear six, but this cover is not the evidence we're looking for.

Oops you're right! :lol: It's the colour plate inside the HoS book that has HH's full uniform with rank, ribbons, hyper-stars. She is a Full admiral in that picture, not yet an official Fleet Admiral.

Yes indeed that is King Roger on the cover.

Regards,
Scott.
Post by SharkHunter   » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:17 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Here's a fun thought...

What if HMS Unconquered very briefly returned to active duty post-Yawata Strike, using whatever crew is aboard. Assuming a temporary position wedge-ward to intercept any late-falling orbital debris, obviously to be replaced on-duty ASAP by the first available fast merchant marine ships.

Who's in on-board command of the ship?
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by Galactic Sapper   » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:40 pm

Galactic Sapper
Captain of the List

SharkHunter wrote:Here's a fun thought...

What if HMS Unconquered very briefly returned to active duty post-Yawata Strike, using whatever crew is aboard. Assuming a temporary position wedge-ward to intercept any late-falling orbital debris, obviously to be replaced on-duty ASAP by the first available fast merchant marine ships.

At most a caretaker/preservation crew. Probably no more than a handful of people total, not enough for a full reactor watch, impeller room watch, and maneuvering watch on the bridge.

Just because she's "in commission" does not mean she's in any way fit to be operated.
Post by ThinksMarkedly   » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:46 pm

ThinksMarkedly
Fleet Admiral

On-board a museum ship? No one. Just starting the engines would have taken longer than the debris did falling. And there were plenty of wedges available around Manticore, Unconquered's wouldn't add much.
Post by Fox2!   » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:09 pm

Fox2!
Commodore

ThinksMarkedly wrote:

On-board a museum ship? No one. Just starting the engines would have taken longer than the debris did falling. And there were plenty of wedges available around Manticore, Unconquered's wouldn't add much.

USS Constitution has a crew of 7 officers (may include the Chief's Mess as well as the wardroom) and 40 petty officers and sailors, based on the picture on the Command web site. Which is probably 10 per cent of the crew while she was in active commission. They are augmented by at least as many non-crew when she sets out for her turn-around cruise. That's not enough to navigate her, never mind to fight her.

Even though Unconquered is minimally functional, that still means she needs reactor, power generation and distribution, some minimal damage control, communication, life support, services (mess, supply, medical and dental, Masters at Arms, personnel, etc.). So, 250 to 500 crew, including an Exec who is actually command qualified. A lot of these may be people who are on pre-retirement assignment, restricted duty, or first term. Probably not a lot of mid rank petty officers and commissioned officers.

Return to Honorverse