Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tlb and 111 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by cthia   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:27 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Is it written in stone (pun intended) that RFC has begun to write the new Honorverse (Honor) novel? I've read several posts that seem to indicate it.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Dauntless   » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:49 am

Dauntless
Rear Admiral

i don't think much of what RFC does is written in stone.

but someone did post that when they saw him at a con earlier in the year (dragoncon maybe) that he announced he was starting work on the next honor book as soon as he got home.
Post by cthia   » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:57 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Does anyone have any data on Princess Joanna? Anything, along with her age.

Does House of Steel contain ages?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Jonathan_S   » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:55 am

Jonathan_S
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Does anyone have any data on Princess Joanna? Anything, along with her age.

HoS doesn't tend to have ages or dates of birth. And for Crown Princess Joanna it is particularly sparse.

She doesn't even have her own Bio-blub; just gets mentioned as being one of Elizabeth and Justine's two kids (in their bios and in the Royal Family portion of the Government of Manticore write-up). Basically all we know from it is that she's younger than her brother and therefor comes after him in the line of succession.
Post by saber964   » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:21 pm

saber964
Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:
cthia wrote:Does anyone have any data on Princess Joanna? Anything, along with her age.

HoS doesn't tend to have ages or dates of birth. And for Crown Princess Joanna it is particularly sparse.

She doesn't even have her own Bio-blub; just gets mentioned as being one of Elizabeth and Justine's two kids (in their bios and in the Royal Family portion of the Government of Manticore write-up). Basically all we know from it is that she's younger than her brother and therefor comes after him in the line of succession.

The Winton's have the most ambiguous ages as a group. Crown Prince Roger is listed a 17 T-years old in AoV but is also listed as 3 T-year in PL and finally 22 T-years ART. That is he jumps all over the place. If he's 3 in 1892 PD yob 1889 PD, 17 in 1914 PD yob 1897 PD and 22 in 1922 PD yob 1900 PD. Can you see my point.
Post by kzt   » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:13 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

It's always narratively accurate. ;-)
Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Jonathan_S wrote:

saber964 wrote:
The Winton's have the most ambiguous ages as a group. Crown Prince Roger is listed a 17 T-years old in AoV but is also listed as 3 T-year in PL and finally 22 T-years ART. That is he jumps all over the place. If he's 3 in 1892 PD yob 1889 PD, 17 in 1914 PD yob 1897 PD and 22 in 1922 PD yob 1900 PD. Can you see my point.

It's just that our obsession with the UK's Princesses is remarkable. The Princess is always in the news. I just find it odd that Princess Joanna doesn't play a major role in the series. Naturally, I wondered if it was because she's too young.

Post by munroburton   » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:57 am

munroburton
Admiral

cthia wrote:It's just that our obsession with the UK's Princesses is remarkable. The Princess is always in the news. I just find it odd that Princess Joanna doesn't play a major role in the series. Naturally, I wondered if it was because she's too young.

You can have them. Useless spongers, most of them.
Post by ChronicRder   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:45 am

ChronicRder
Lieutenant Commander

I'd love to know what happened to all of Manticore's old Dreadnaughts that used to make up the bulk of their Wall? Surely they coudln't all have been simply filling slips at Grendelsbane or the main shipyards in the Manticore system. I also haven't seen evidence that the ships were trasnferred to Silesia. Where is that reserve fleet? If nothing else, they could be turned into new platforms to reinforce patrols in the Talbot Cluster, right? Nevermind selling them to Torch. We've seen what they can do with corvettes. Imagine what they could do with some DN, even obsolete (by Mantie standards anyway) ones!
Post by munroburton   » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:02 am

munroburton
Admiral

ChronicRder wrote:I'd love to know what happened to all of Manticore's old Dreadnaughts that used to make up the bulk of their Wall? Surely they coudln't all have been simply filling slips at Grendelsbane or the main shipyards in the Manticore system. I also haven't seen evidence that the ships were trasnferred to Silesia. Where is that reserve fleet? If nothing else, they could be turned into new platforms to reinforce patrols in the Talbot Cluster, right? Nevermind selling them to Torch. We've seen what they can do with corvettes. Imagine what they could do with some DN, even obsolete (by Mantie standards anyway) ones!

Manticore's dreadnoughts were built to the old combat paradigm. Each one of them takes about 3,000 or 4,000 crew to man. Aside from the Bellerophons(38 built, unknown losses), all of them are smaller than the SLN's Scientist class. Their shipboard launchers and available missiles do not outrange the Cataphract.

The dreadnoughts(and older SDs) took the brunt of Janacek's cuts. He put the vast majority of them into mothballs at breakneck speed, possibly with the intention of using them as spare parts for the few they did keep active. He wouldn't have refurbished the ships before dropping them, so they're all worn out and in need of overhaul. They won't have the latest compensators, meaning it's more difficult for them to chase down anyone else's lighter units.

It's hard to blame him for that. Getting rid of them was a good thing - the problem was not building any replacements.

The only useful old waller are the handful of Gryphons refitted with MK23 launchers. But they were probably part of Home Fleet at the first Battle of Manticore.

Return to Honorverse