Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 39 guests

Information I'd love to know

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Information I'd love to know
Post by KNick   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:11 pm

KNick
Admiral

IIRC, the first wound stripe was earned during the power room explosion aboard her first SD assignment. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the story or book it is mentioned in. It was when she was pulling people out of the fire.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:22 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

KNick wrote:IIRC, the first wound stripe was earned during the power room explosion aboard her first SD assignment. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the story or book it is mentioned in. It was when she was pulling people out of the fire.

Thanks, KNick! I totally forgot about that incident. I went back through all the stories of her pre-OBS and the one from between HoTQ and SVW and couldn't find any reference to her being wounded.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Every reference to the power room incident just mentions that she received a Monarch's Thanks and CGM for it. I was hoping that there would be an actual mention of her getting wounded. But maybe that first wound stripe was just meant to be a throwaway :P
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by cthia   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:53 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

A treecat's actual language.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:32 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

cthia wrote:A treecat's actual language.

They use telepathy. Since we have no examples of telepathy, how it works is pure arm-waving. There may be no encoding-decoding step involved, i.e. speech and listening.
Post by cthia   » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

When I get upset, or there is an emotionally charged event in my life, I take to writing. I suppose it is my way of coping. Over the years I have met many other people who claim the same thing. My fiancee Gemma, pours herself in her work when I upset her. Needless to say she gets plenty of work done. :lol:

Honor Harrington pours herself into her work as well, when adversity takes a bite out of her ass. When she learned of Paul's death and locked herself in her cabin for days, I can only imagine the things born when she wielded the quill.

I imagine tactics that she had been working on for years came to their fruition, just awaiting the proper time to unveil them. I bet she was writing furiously. When the true face of the enemy is revealed I can hear Honor now. I've been honing the music of these tactics since Paul Tankersley died Mesa. Be Honored that you'll be the first to hear death's knell.

Wouldn't you just love to read that particular journal?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:02 pm

saber964
Admiral

SWM wrote:
Amaroq wrote:What I found interesting was that the two treecats who adopted Graysons weren't renamed by their new partners. I gathered from the series that the adoption and naming is a very private and meaningful event. Miranda and Rachel's treecats already came with "human" names that were merely there for convenience. I would've thought the girls would name the 'cats something more personal.

Naming is indeed quite personal, but I guess it need not be done by one's bondmate. I believe that unbonded 'cats have gotten names as well.

Honor and MacGuiness named them because they needed to differentiate 14 different Treecats. I mean are you going to call 12 different treecats and treekittens 'Hey you' or 'You over there' so Honor and MacGuinness named them and IIRC Honor new that it was bad form to name them.
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:
Honor and MacGuiness named them because they needed to differentiate 14 different Treecats. I mean are you going to call 12 different treecats and treekittens 'Hey you' or 'You over there' so Honor and MacGuinness named them and IIRC Honor new that it was bad form to name them.

Oh, I know why they were named previously I was just surprised that the cats' new bondmates didn't change their names to something more personal. The other names were more for convenience after all.
Post by KNick   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 pm

KNick
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:
saber964 wrote:

Oh, I know why they were named previously I was just surprised that the cats' new bondmates didn't change their names to something more personal. The other names were more for convenience after all.

It is possible that the 'cats are keeping the names Honor gave them because they feel she is THE senior elder of the new clan. In their society, it is the elders who do the renaming, after all.
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by saber964   » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:37 pm

saber964
Admiral

KNick" [quote="Amaroq wrote:
saber964 wrote:

It is possible that the 'cats are keeping the names Honor gave them because they feel she is THE senior elder of the new clan. In their society, it is the elders who do the renaming, after all.[/quote]
No they wouldn't change there human style names. Because the human name never changes while a treecat name often does over their lives several time. The treecats also regard the name change deeply significant.

Return to Honorverse