Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 113 guests

Most hated character

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Most hated character
Post by pokermind   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:04 am

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Ah the Detweilers

Art by Genkis from a French cover of Honorverse novels but my idea on the wanted poster.

;) Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:36 pm

namelessfly

There was no chance that the RMN was going to nuke Nouveau Paris. White Haven would have compelled the RHN to surrender. Once the RMN had deprived the Committee for Public Safety and it's State Security Goons of control of the orbitals, people would have revolted.

roseandheather wrote:I simply cannot loathe Janacek and High Ridge unconditionally, for the simple reason that if they hadn't come into power, the RMN would have bombed Nouveau Paris into smithereens and... yeah. That particular idea does not sit well with me, for obvious reasons. They bought the entire Honorverse sorely needed time to bring about a Manticore-Haven peace treaty and alliance, and though I may loathe the men themselves, I will always be grateful for their existence because they bought that time. Destroy Haven, and everything else that would come after would have been meaningless to me.

So, for the characters I actually loathe:

* Cordelia Ransom. An inhuman, sadistic monster if ever I saw one.

* Pavel Young. See above. Though thankfully he didn't have the resources to perpetuate atrocities on a similar scale.

* Elvis Santino. That man just sticks in my craw. I hate him. Honor rehabilitating Andrea's career actually had me cheering out loud.

* Arnold Giancola. He was going to tear apart everything Tom and Eloise had sacrificed - Eloise gave up Javier! - for his own personal gain, and that is guaranteed to have me frothing at the mouth.
Post by namelessfly   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:45 pm

namelessfly

I have to mention Admiral Crandalll.

She knew that Adm Bing got himself and his crew killed because he had screwed up but insisted on escalating to the largest battle outside the Haven Quadrant to occur in centuries or may be even ever.

Admiral Crandall also had unspecified but too easily imagined, abusive sexual habits that had allowed theMesans to blackmail her.
Post by Werrf   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

I don't think he's been mentioned yet, so - Edmund Marchant. Anyone who can rejoice at the murder of children is unfit to share the same gene pool as me.
Post by Uroboros   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

Denver Summervale. The man felt nothing. He was like a micro-nuke everywhere he went. He started off the series for us by blowing up about fifty people, and then sacrificed members of his own crew to get away. He's probably the closest thing Honorverse has to a true serial killer.

Everyone mentioned so far, at least is recognizable in some fashion as human. Denver? Not as much.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:05 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

:lol:
Yea, they have a gene pool all of their own don't they?
Summerville I think had seep psycholigical probs.
Edward Marchant and the killing of those kids broke my heart. And it crushed that engineer.

I have to mention Dr. Lois Suchon.

Great admirals don't make wars great, bad admirals make great admirals' wars great.
-cthia

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Direwolf18   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

Northstar wrote:Sorry, no single one. All named so far are loathsome slime, absolutely :evil: :D

But my vote has to go to the Detweiler family and all their happy psychopathic cohorts. All of them and all their works. I loathe the MA utterly. :evil: :twisted: :evil: :mrgreen:

I so want them all dead and that story thread over. :? :ugeek: :P

Its interesting I don't actually despise the Detweilers. They actually seem like fairly likeable people in a personal aspect. I think what makes them real bad guys is they are so insolated, its like they are having people in a computer game killed. Its just not real to them. I find people like the Mandarins, or Cordellia Ransom far more reprehensible. Cordellia Ransom actually would bathe in peoples blood. The Mandarins are willing the sign off the enslavement of BILLIONS and BILLIONS. The SLN is by far the greatest evil in the galaxy. Well for now.
Post by BrightSoul   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:40 pm

BrightSoul
Rear Admiral

For all the great suggestions I can't believe you folks are missing the worst in my books.

The Mandarins are by far the most despicable creatures in the entire Honorverse. Detweiler is a megalomaniac and evil by most definitions of the word but you can see, if not agree with, his motivation. St. Just and Pierre both had redeeming characteristics, few in the case of Oscar but they were there. Summervale, bad reasons but reasons none the less.

Of all the creatures who've been trotted out in the series only Kolokoltsov, McCartney, Quartermain, Abbuzi end their puppets in the League have zero redeeming features. They can see what is coming but lack the moral fiber to do what is needed to turn the situation around. All they are concerned with is preserving a powerbase and system that is collapsing, even though they know they can't. Bandaids to the left and to the right but no real cure.

Now they're planning something with Beowulf... and Albrecht is getting away... grrrrr!
Post by Werrf   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Werrf
Vice Admiral

BrightSoul wrote:For all the great suggestions I can't believe you folks are missing the worst in my books.

They were one of my candidates, but their essential, utter cluelessness makes it difficult to truly hate them. They frustrate me, anger me, but my biggest emotion for them is scorn and disgust, rather than hate.
Post by cthia   » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:46 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

BrightSoul,
I agree with your analogy. And certainly the entire lot of them resoundingly lack any semblance of humanity. But I think for me it reduces down to this. Their irreprehensibility is global. That is by far no better attribute, no. But it makes it a little...less personal somehow. To me at least. They fit in the run of the mill megalomaniacal would be rulers of the entire world. The God-like complex that has driven so many before in history and so many after. And they perceive a method to their madness and insanity. We see it for what it really is. Madness. Insanity. But they truly cannot see it. People like that truly think that their actions are truly altruistic. It is psychologically devastating for them to find it is not...when reality slaps them in the face.
Example:
Adolf Hitler and his master race during the Olympics.
Hitler truly lived, breathed and believed the propoganda.
He wasn't prepared for the humiliating defeat handed him by Jesse Owens.

My point I guess, is for me there is a significant difference between someone whom begets hatred because of a psychological impairment/imbalance than those whom beget hatred out of raw mean-ness.

Note that that is not the same as saying either is less dangerous, just less...personal.

Great admirals don't make wars great, bad admirals make great admirals' wars great.
-cthia

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse