Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by jthoma8318   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:27 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Cauldron of Ghosts
When President Pritchard had notified him of her decision to transfer Cachat, Wilhelm’s reaction had been: You mean I can go back to running a spy outfit, instead of being a lion tamer?

Cachat descriptions aren't bad either.

Been enjoying your posts on the forum, always nice to see new come fans with such enthusiasm. But I'm curious to your tag line below. Exactly what did you do that your mother sent your father to hang you? Plow up her favorite flower bed? LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. -Cthia's father
Post by MaxxQ   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:33 am

MaxxQ
BuNine

jthoma8318 wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:
Heh... that cocoa mix gets a lot of credit for making things better. When I was in England and we had our wargames, we would get issued MREs (obviously), but we also would be given vanilla Snack Pack pudding. About half the people I worked with would mix in roughly 1/3-1/2 of their cocoa mix into the pudding, making it chocolate pudding.

Speaking of MREs, how many of you were ever able to separate the two chocolate-covered cookies - *without* using a screwdriver or a knife? :lol: I managed it *once*, and only because it was summer, and my MRE had been sitting out in the sun for an hour or so.

You are refering to "Track Pads" I assume? Made edible only with peanut butter

Never heard 'em called that. Although... "hockey puck" comes to mind, now that I think about it. The cookies were round, roughly between a Chips Ahoy and an Oreo in diameter and each was about as thick as a double-stuffed Oreo. But both were completely covered in chocolate, and vacuum sealed, which, of course, over time caused them to be fused together. They weren't quite as hard as granite - maybe sandstone.

Edit: The only thing I ever used the peanut butter on were the crackers, and those weren't much softer than the cookies.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:03 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Cauldron of Ghosts

When President Pritchard had notified him of her decision to transfer Cachat, Wilhelm’s reaction had been: You mean I can go back to running a spy outfit, instead of being a lion tamer?

Cachat descriptions aren't bad either.

jthoma8318 wrote:
Been enjoying your posts on the forum, always nice to see new come fans with such enthusiasm. But I'm curious to your tag line below. Exactly what did you do that your mother sent your father to hang you? Plow up her favorite flower bed? LOL

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. -Cthia's father

Thank you for enjoying my...enthusiasm. So many people have expressed interest in that tag-line. I have sent several emails answering your exact question, so I keep the response handy. I can understand the interest, hanging is so...permanent.

The first time my father told me that, if I remember correctly was when my older sister, by a few years, had a sleep over and at least a dozen eleven or twelve year old girls were playing in the courtyard. I lit a 'bunch' of firecrackers and threw it in their midst. They scattered like mice, except one girl who was so afraid she froze, immobile, and wet her pants. She insisted that she be taken home. That was the first time I got the speech. My mom was angry, livid, because she and my sister had planned the sleepover for weeks, and that sister was particularly sweeter than honey. And I was so hurt that I had hurt my sister that the punishment...well, I got off way too easily. Sis had forgiven me long before I ever forgave myself. She never even screamed at me. She saw the regret in my eyes. It was one of those things that you regret as soon as it leaves your hand...but much too late. She actually felt sorry for me. I really regretted it. That poor girl cried hysterically.

So, I didn't think it was a capital offense either, but believe me, the punishment I surely deserved!

Edit:
The punishment I did receive has garnered its own interest. So, here it follows...

I didn't mention in the email the punishment. The punishment was a month worth of weekends holed-up in my room without any of my toys, starting with the remains of that weekend. I didn't even have any books to read. My father's decree was that I not be given anything. He didn't want to be hanged, and I needed to be punished. I talked my sister into smuggling in to me a book. The only book she gave me was A Little Princess. "What, is this the best you can do?" "Take it or leave it. It is all you are getting!" I took it. Reluctantly. And it sat there until later that night. When I finally opened its pages, I couldn't put it down! I fell in love with little Sara Crewe, and cried like a baby within those pages. It was the first evidence that books could affect me that way. I began to search those type books out, and I quickly realized, because of that book, that I was to be forever partial to any work that featured strong female characters. Even to this day. It is why I bought OBS, because of the compelling pic of Honor holding Nimitz.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:20 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Thank you for enjoying my...enthusiasm. So many people have expressed interest in that tag-line. I have sent several emails answering your exact question, so I keep the response handy. I can understand the interest, hanging is so...permanent.

I had always wondered lol, all month or so I have belonged lol
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:38 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

"And remember, state sec is your friend!" :mrgreen:
Post by jthoma8318   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:07 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

Hutch wrote:You know, I've reread this thread twice in it's history, and I don't think this has every been posted...and it's pretty darn critical to the next 8-9 books.....

"I . . . haven't been much of an exec to you, have I, Ma'am?" he asked quietly.

"No, Mr. McKeon," she said. "You haven't." She watched him flinch, saw his shoulders tighten, and wanted to reach out to him. But she didn't. She simply sat there, waiting.

And after some of the best dialogue in the Honorverse....

"Good," Honor repeated more softly. She hesitated for just a moment, and then extended her hand across the table. "In that case, Commander McKeon, welcome aboard. It's good to see you back."

"Thank you." He took her hand and clasped it firmly. "It's good to be back . . . Skipper."

I know it's from OBS, not the Honor of the Queen, but if there is one scene/storyline I'd love to see transplanted to the Movie, it would be that one.

I know everyone hates flashbacks, but maybe as one when he's talking to her about running out because of how the Graysons acted toward her.
Post by jthoma8318   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:12 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

Mobryan wrote:
roseandheather wrote:I wasn't aware that my highly sporadic church attendance somehow disqualified me from being an Anglican.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Honor did convert at some point. Tester knows I would given the first opportunity!!

The nice thing about being Angli-piscopal: All the ceremony, half the guilt ;)

I do have to give Mr. Weber credit when it comes to the Church of Humanity Unchained, generally when sci-fi authors create a religion, we end up with Tom Cruise...
The Greyson religion holds together well, and it's obviously something you COULD build a culture on, not just a mashup used to fill a need like some other books.

Matt

Hey you stole my joke about us Lutherans, We're Catholic Light, All the religion but half the guilt. LOL
Post by jthoma8318   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:18 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:CoG
The Beowulfan military, like that of Manticore, was highly skeptical of the Solarian Navy’s reputation, especially that of Battle Fleet. Not so, however, of the Solarian Marines. Unlike Battle Fleet officers and crews, who could easily go through an entire career without seeing any combat at all, the Marines were a real fighting force.

Interesting. The Marines are better than the Navy.

Mainly because the Marines actually have to fight, like Frontier Fleet only more so. While the Battle Fleet twits only do exercises that everyone already knows the details of. Not quite unlike the US Military during the Ford/Carter era.
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

CoG
“The best clientele you could ask for!” Ruth said enthusiastically. “Beefy commando types. They eat like horses and tip like the upper crust.”

But you'd expect metabolistically modified bottomless stomachs to do just that. Sounds like my closest friends. At least they're good tippers as well. You should be if your waitress needs to sport skates just to keep up. Can you imagine a large table full of Honors?

Princess Ruth is a sweetheart!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:43 pm

saber964
Admiral

I don't know if this one is in here but try this one on for size.

"I hope you enjoyed it asshole, I certainly did"

Aubry Wanderman just after beating Randy Stielman to a pulp.

Return to Honorverse