Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 34 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:14 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ZVar wrote:Kinda surprised to not see one of my favorite lines. It was in From the Highlands in the anthology Changer of Worlds

But there were no men in the lair to pose any danger to her [Helen Zilwicki]. Instead there was something infinitely more dangerous—a moral dilemma.

It just speaks to how good a person Helen really is. I know if I was 14 again and literately running for my life I'd be hard pressed to even have a moral dilemma. I'd be too worried about myself probably to even notice....

Indeed Zvar. My friends and I were just discussing what such parents were the Zilwickis. We lost much when we lost Helen's mother.

On Basilisk Station
As for Estelle Matsuko, she seems convinced Harrington could walk across Jason Bay without getting her shoes wet.

Some friendships are forged and welded close. (both ;) )

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:22 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

cthia wrote:On Basilisk Station
As for Estelle Matsuko, she seems convinced Harrington could walk across Jason Bay without getting her shoes wet.

*squeaking noises*

I have my own theories regarding Estelle's... feelings about Honor Harrington..... :mrgreen:

And whaddaya know, Honor? That opinion's not going to change much over the twenty or so years the two of you don't see each other!

Damn, now I need a short story with Honor and Estelle working together while Estelle's still Home Secretary...

Come to think of it, I also need a short story that puts Elizabeth, Estelle, and Eloise in the same room for political scheming purposes.....
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:41 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
On Basilisk Station

roseandheather wrote:
*squeaking noises*

I have my own theories regarding Estelle's... feelings about Honor Harrington..... :mrgreen:

I share those feelings. One of them puts the BF in BFF. :D
roseandheather wrote:
Damn, now I need a short story with Honor and Estelle working together while Estelle's still Home Secretary...

Come to think of it, I also need a short story that puts Elizabeth, Estelle, and Eloise in the same room for political scheming purposes.....

You mean to create a political maelstrom. :o

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

A snippet from AAC where the Andermani units are integrating with Eighth Fleet and having some problems...

It was just unfortunate that she found it difficult to conceal the fact that she would have preferred to be shooting at the rest of Honor's fleet, rather than accepting her orders.

Vizeadmiral Bin-hwei Morser, Graffin von Grau is not one of Manticore's biggest admirers...
Last edited by Amaroq on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by cthia   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:49 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:A snippet from AAC where the Andermani units are integrating with Eighth Fleet and having some problems...

It was just unfortunate that she found it difficult to conceal the fact that she would have preferred to be shooting at the rest of Honor's fleet, rather than accepting her orders.

Vizeadmiral Bin-hwei Morser, Graffin von Grau is not one of Manticore's biggest supporters...

No, she isn't. However, I like the way she quickly became so resolute in battle along with the RMN and cast all of that aside. I should find that quote. It...moved me.

Post by KNick   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:55 pm

KNick
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:<<SNIP>>

Don't you mean a six volume set titled "The Prince: Two Thousand Years of Change"?
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:59 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

KNick wrote:
roseandheather wrote:<<SNIP>>

Don't you mean a six volume set titled "The Prince: Two Thousand Years of Change"?

...well, yes, but if I get too greedy RFC might not give me anything. So I'll settle for the short story. 8-)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

cthia wrote:
Amaroq wrote:
Vizeadmiral Bin-hwei Morser, Graffin von Grau is not one of Manticore's biggest supporters...

No, she isn't. However, I like the way she quickly became so resolute in battle along with the RMN and cast all of that aside. I should find that quote. It...moved me.

This one?

But of them all, Honor thought, Bin-hwei Morser's reaction was the most interesting. She wasn't simply an admiral; she was also Graffin von Grau. Like Hasselberg himself, she was a member of the Empire's warrior aristocracy, and she was clearly one of those who took the Andermani martial tradition seriously. She might cherish doubts about her Emperor's decision to ally himself with the Star Kingdom which had been the Empire's traditional rival in areas like Silesia for so long, but that didn't matter. Not anymore, not now. Her dark eyes—remarkably like Allison Harrington's, or Honor's own, now that Honor thought about it—were narrow and intense, focused and fiery with purpose.

Morser, reacting to the swiftness and brutality of MDM combat during the Battle of Manticore.
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:02 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:

cthia wrote:

Amaroq wrote:
This one?

But of them all, Honor thought, Bin-hwei Morser's reaction was the most interesting. She wasn't simply an admiral; she was also Graffin von Grau. Like Hasselberg himself, she was a member of the Empire's warrior aristocracy, and she was clearly one of those who took the Andermani martial tradition seriously. She might cherish doubts about her Emperor's decision to ally himself with the Star Kingdom which had been the Empire's traditional rival in areas like Silesia for so long, but that didn't matter. Not anymore, not now. Her dark eyes—remarkably like Allison Harrington's, or Honor's own, now that Honor thought about it—were narrow and intense, focused and fiery with purpose.

Amaroq wrote:
Morser, reacting to the swiftness and brutality of MDM combat during the Battle of Manticore.

That's the one. Still have the golden touch of a tac-witch I see. Thanks.

The Battle of Jericho is a battle in the biblical Book of Joshua, (Joshua 6:1-27) the first battle of the Israelites during their conquest of Canaan. According to the narrative, the walls of Jericho fell after Joshua's Israelite army marched around the city blowing their trumpets.

My brain parses the Andermani much like it did the Graysons. Primarily, I saw a proud people steeped in tradition with a thick, steep barrier walled between outsiders, to be knocked down by the confident tooting of a foreign Navy's own horn. Respect is born of achieved confidence. The RMN is a Navy to be respected.

For some Freudian reason Bin-hwei Morser epitomizes the Andermani. Strong, proud, confident, steeped in tradition — untrusting of anything foreign to Andermani. Much like the Graysons in that respect. Yet, earn their respect and you have their respect.

I sense that just under the surface there lies profound substance to this Bin-hwei Morser.

Post by Amaroq   » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:44 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Not a favorite line per se but an interesting point that I missed on previous read-throughs. From AAC.

"After, of course, sending me their lying condolences for my niece's death—just like Saint-Just did after he murdered Uncle Anson and Cal!"

This is part of the diatribe Elizabeth gives about why Haven would sabotage their own peace summit by trying to assassinate Queen Berry on Torch. It took me a couple of seconds to realize what the line meant. Saint-Just, ergo the dude who engineered the assassination of Elizabeth's PM, uncle, and cousin and who tried to assassinate her and Benjamin Mayhew, sent condolences to her afterwards about the deaths. :shock:

The guy sure had some chutzpah, huh? Wow.

Return to Honorverse