Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 53 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:56 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Commodore woodman,
There it is! But this has to be the most recognized Honorverse one-liner don't you think?
Excellent Sir!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by RHWoodman   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:59 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Commodore woodman,
There it is! But this has to be the most recognized Honorverse one-liner don't you think?
Excellent Sir!

It IS the most recognized. I think that's part of the problem. It's SO recognized that we don't even think about it too much anymore. Kind of like Jean-Luc Picard's "Make it so, Number One." In fact, to be honest, I thought about it and then said, "Nah. Too easy. Let me pull Honor's quote to Adm Yerensky at the end of OBS." Overthinking does me in every time. :roll:
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:36 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

RHWoodman wrote:
cthia wrote:Commodore woodman,
Excellent Sir!

It IS the most recognized. I think that's part of the problem. It's SO recognized that we don't even think about it too much anymore. Kind of like Jean-Luc Picard's "Make it so, Number One." In fact, to be honest, I thought about it and then said, "Nah. Too easy. Let me pull Honor's quote to Adm Yerensky at the end of OBS." Overthinking does me in every time. :roll:

It's obviously recognized enough that I can't find it in my memory banks because it's so recognizable - where the heck is it from?? (And yes, I have read every book in the series. Many times over.)
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by pokermind   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:38 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

:lol: Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by MaxxQ   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:45 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

Bleek!

Edit to add: "Merry Christmas, Wesley."

Protector Benjamin to Admiral Matthews when Honor steps off the pinnace after coming back from the dead.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:05 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:Bleek!

Edit to add: "Merry Christmas, Wesley."

Protector Benjamin to Admiral Matthews when Honor steps off the pinnace after coming back from the dead.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH.

That line gets me every. Single. Time.

Just... Wesley! And Benjamin!

...GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH. :cry:
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:16 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Yea,
That "Merry Christmas, Wesley," does kinda choke you up huh? Need more tissue.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by RHWoodman   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:25 pm

RHWoodman
Captain (Junior Grade)

roseandheather wrote:
It's obviously recognized enough that I can't find it in my memory banks because it's so recognizable - where the heck is it from?? (And yes, I have read every book in the series. Many times over.)

First mention of "Let's be about it" is at the end of Chapter 25 in OBS. It's repeated in HotQ and FoD, but, oddly, not in SVW (I went back and looked electronically, and it didn't appear). IIRC, it appears on most of the main stream Honorverse books thereafter.
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:29 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

RHWoodman wrote:
roseandheather wrote:

First mention of "Let's be about it" is at the end of Chapter 25 in OBS. It's repeated in HotQ and FoD, but, oddly, not in SVW (I went back and looked electronically, and it didn't appear). IIRC, it appears on most of the main stream Honorverse books thereafter.

Oh, that was the quote under discussion. Obviously I can't read, because I thought it was something else.

Yeah, that one's not so much a one-liner as it is a catchphrase - I know Honor uses it, and Abigail Hearns picks it up from her, but so does Dame Estelle!

On the subject of one-liners that get you with how heartwarming/beautiful they are, though:

"What the hell. I've always liked a challenge."
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by saber964   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:43 pm

saber964
Admiral

How about;

'Oh My God,' It's a Dreadnaught.

Return to Honorverse