Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 176 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by timmopussycat   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:36 pm

timmopussycat
Lieutenant Commander

SWM wrote:
cthia wrote:I'll be bach......wait, what, huh, who said that?!

I'm not sure--must be playing haydn-seek.
:lol:

I can't Handel all these puns!
Post by timmopussycat   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:57 pm

timmopussycat
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:Changer of Worlds
"You," Makira said darkly, "are an evil person who will undoubtedly come to an unhappy end, and if there is any justice in the universe, I'll be there to see it happen."

Honor grinned, and Nimitz bleeked a lazy laugh from the table between them.

"You may laugh . . . for now," he told them both ominously, "but There Will Come a Day when you will remember this conversation and regret it bitterly." He raised his nose with an audible sniff, and Nimitz turned his head to look up at his person. Their eyes met in complete agreement, and then Nassios Makira's arms windmilled wildly as a gray blur of treecat bounded off the table and wrapped itself firmly around his neck. The midshipman began a muffled protest that turned suddenly into a most unmilitary—and high-pitched—sound as Nimitz's long, agile fingers found his armpits and tickled unmercifully. Chair and midshipman alike went over backwards with a high, wailing laugh, and Honor leaned back in her own chair and watched with folded arms as the appropriate penalty for his ominous threat was rigorously applied.

I have never actually known Honor to play in this manner. With Nimitz and a frisbee, yes. But this? How refreshing. She actually had a little fun, before she had to quickly grow up.

Whatever happened to Nassios Makira?

Killed in action in the fight with Duneki's ship.
Post by timmopussycat   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:13 pm

timmopussycat
Lieutenant Commander

Amaroq wrote:
cthia wrote:
I've been wanting to find time to reread HAE, because, well because everything. But mostly because of Stacy Hauptman. I just loved Stacy. I also like the way Honor was approached to command the Q-Ship.

There's also a lot of important foreign or secondary characters who either get introduced or more fleshed out in that book: Warner Caslet, Admiral Giscard, Eloise Pritchart, Shannon Foraker, Chien-lu Anderman, Stacey and Klaus Hauptman...

Not to mention Aubrey Wanderman and Ginger Lewis.
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:17 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Warning: do not read pg. 14 while eating breakfast:
Cauldron of Ghosts wrote:Damewood smiled. "Nothing fancy, Ganny. It'd be nice to have you pulling away from the station right as this new ship is arriving and cursing up a blul streak on an open frequency.
--little snip, saving the punch line--
He paused, his eyebrows rising as if he'd been struck by a suddenn thought. "You do know how to curse, don't you?"
*me, coughs whilst reading....*
Cauldron of Ghosts wrote:Her reply put to rest any doubts he might have had -- or anyone this side of Betelgeuse, for that matter.
*me, puts down book and goes to clean up messy shirt from milk and cereal splatter*
Last edited by SharkHunter on Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by timmopussycat   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:19 pm

timmopussycat
Lieutenant Commander

Amaroq wrote:
Hutch wrote:
I know he had to die so that Elizabeth could inherit the throne and become the beloved character that she is, but damn--the stories that weren't told because we lost Roger Michael Danton Maxwell Winton, King of the Star Kingdom of Manticore.

He was by all accounts (and what little we get to see of him) a pretty amazing monarch. Aside from the whole secret R & D project he set up and the naval buildup he initiated (that saved the SKM's butt) his insistence on beginning to train Elizabeth for the throne so early even though prolong should've guaranteed him a long rule was a stroke of genius.

Elizabeth had more than a little to do with the early start to her training. See HoS.
Post by SharkHunter   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:32 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Hopefully I "split snipped" this correctly...
Hutch wrote:I know he had to die so that Elizabeth could inherit the throne and become the beloved character that she is, but damn--the stories that weren't told because we lost Roger Michael Danton Maxwell Winton, King of the Star Kingdom of Manticore.

Amaroq wrote:He was by all accounts (and what little we get to see of him) a pretty amazing monarch. Aside from the whole secret R & D project he set up and the naval buildup he initiated (that saved the SKM's butt) his insistence on beginning to train Elizabeth for the throne so early even though prolong should've guaranteed him a long rule was a stroke of genius.

timmopussycat wrote:Elizabeth had more than a little to do with the early start to her training. See HoS.

For those who are wondering what those references are, King Roger' story is amazing: and told in David's book "House of Steel", the story is "I Will Build a House of Steel" [book abbrev: HoS]. We also learn about the source of enmity between White Haven and Hemphill, the Queen's mother, Caitrin Henke, earlier politicos, etc. Best read in a long while.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:56 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Warning: do not read pg. 14 while eating breakfast:
Cauldron of Ghosts wrote:Damewood smiled. "Nothing fancy, Ganny. It'd be nice to have you pulling away from the station right as this new ship is arriving and cursing up a blul streak on an open frequency.
--little snip, saving the punch line--
He paused, his eyebrows rising as if he'd been struck by a suddenn thought. "You do know how to curse, don't you?"
*me, coughs whilst reading....*
Cauldron of Ghosts wrote:Her reply put to rest any doubts he might have had -- or anyone this side of Betelgeuse, for that matter.
*me, puts down book and goes to clean up messy shirt from milk and cereal splatter*

One of the ti=hings that makes Ganny El a favorite minor character - and I'm wondering if she is more the product of David or Eric.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by timmopussycat   » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:39 pm

timmopussycat
Lieutenant Commander

Andrew Arlett risks his life. From CoG:

“Don’t. Say. Anything,” warned Yana. She glared down at her new bosom. Her very, very impressive new bosom.
“Mind you, it’s likely to be a short life,” she said. “I’m bound to topple over and kill myself the moment I get distracted.”
“It’s a status symbol in a number of Verge cultures,” Kham elaborated. “And the wealthier you are, the—ah—more voluptuous you are.”
Steph and Andrew studied Yana a bit longer.
“So what do we call you now?” Andrew asked. “Midas?”
Post by Roguevictory   » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:57 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

SharkHunter wrote:Hopefully I "split snipped" this correctly...
Hutch wrote:I know he had to die so that Elizabeth could inherit the throne and become the beloved character that she is, but damn--the stories that weren't told because we lost Roger Michael Danton Maxwell Winton, King of the Star Kingdom of Manticore.

Amaroq wrote:He was by all accounts (and what little we get to see of him) a pretty amazing monarch. Aside from the whole secret R & D project he set up and the naval buildup he initiated (that saved the SKM's butt) his insistence on beginning to train Elizabeth for the throne so early even though prolong should've guaranteed him a long rule was a stroke of genius.

timmopussycat wrote:Elizabeth had more than a little to do with the early start to her training. See HoS.

For those who are wondering what those references are, King Roger' story is amazing: and told in David's book "House of Steel", the story is "I Will Build a House of Steel" [book abbrev: HoS]. We also learn about the source of enmity between White Haven and Hemphill, the Queen's mother, Caitrin Henke, earlier politicos, etc. Best read in a long while.

I'm hoping we will some day get a short story or two about Prince/King Roger's naval career prior to I Will Build My House of Steel
Post by cthia   » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:34 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
Zilwicki heaved his massive shoulders. For someone built along normal human rather than dwarf lord lines, that would have been a shrug.

:lol:

I cannot fight the feeling that Zilwicki is none other than Fantastic Four's Thing.

I certainly want to see how he, along with a few others, are portrayed on the big screen.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense

Return to Honorverse