Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 93 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by roseandheather   » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:55 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

In which Abigail Hearns continues to be perfect:
"I've just discovered that I'm neither sufficiently selfless nor concerned enough about whether or not people think I'm using 'influence' to turn something like this down. If you're really serious about wanting me, Ma'am, you've got me!"

Storm From the Shadows - Lt. Abigail Hearns, on her assignment as Chief Tactical Officer of HMS Tristram
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Re: AW: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by friessomecircuits   » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:00 pm

friessomecircuits
Ensign

Maybe the oneliner that I remember most is the one after the Battle of Manticore:

.“Your Grace,” she said softly, “I’m sorry. We took a direct hit on Flag Bridge. There were . . . no survivors.”

That really hit me like a Sledgehammer. The one constant in the Series was Alistair McKeon. Highly Intelligent, 100% Loyal and as trustworthy as one can get. Definitely one of my Favourite Characters. The only one coming close to that in Emotionality is this one

Fly, Alistair, Honor Alexander-Harrington thought. Wherever you are, wherever God takes you, fly high. I’ll guard the Phoenix for you, I promise. Goodbye. I love you
Post by cthia   » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:03 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:
Not a favorite line per se but an interesting point that I missed on previous read-throughs. From AAC.

"After, of course, sending me their lying condolences for my niece's death—just like Saint-Just did after he murdered Uncle Anson and Cal!"

This is part of the diatribe Elizabeth gives about why Haven would sabotage their own peace summit by trying to assassinate Queen Berry on Torch. It took me a couple of seconds to realize what the line meant. Saint-Just, ergo the dude who engineered the assassination of Elizabeth's PM, uncle, and cousin and who tried to assassinate her and Benjamin Mayhew, sent condolences to her afterwards about the deaths. :shock:

The guy sure had some chutzpah, huh? Wow.

Yes he did. Saint-Just stole kids lunch money. I'm sure of it.

On Basilisk Station

Webster and Alexander.
Dr. Gagarian has a new therapy he wants Emily to try, and Father isn't taking the winter very well, but—"

This pasage led me on, the entire series. I kept waiting for results. Was there ever a mention of him again? This Dr. Gagarian? Seems Emily would have the very best in medical care. Short of the Harringtons.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by dreamrider   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:28 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Yes he did. Saint-Just stole kids lunch money. I'm sure of it.

No, technically Saint-Just used terror tactics to extort a cut of the lunch money from the bullies who stole it, for the eventual good of the State. :twisted:

dreamrider
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:
cthia wrote:Yes he did. Saint-Just stole kids lunch money. I'm sure of it.

No, technically Saint-Just used terror tactics to extort a cut of the lunch money from the bullies who stole it, for the eventual good of the State. :twisted:

dreamrider

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:15 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Mission of Honor
So if Alexander-Harrington wanted to come in here naked, riding on the back of an Old Earth elephant, and twirling flaming batons in each hand, I’d still be delighted to see her!”

Surgically snipped and transplanted here. I like the blood type. And since it's easier to get forgiveness than permission, then Yow please forgive me, but the last line of your favorite passages post begs to be a headlining one-liner show.

Oh, meeeeeee three! :oops:

Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:49 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

As far as Michelle [Henke] could tell, most Talbotters appeared to believe that the only reason Khumalo and Terekhov didn't routinely walk across swimming pools was because they didn't like wet shoes.
Storm From the Shadows

Can you tell I love this book? Because I love this book.
~*~

Javier & Eloise
Post by Yow   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Mission of Honor
So if Alexander-Harrington wanted to come in here naked, riding on the back of an Old Earth elephant, and twirling flaming batons in each hand, I’d still be delighted to see her!”

Surgically snipped and transplanted here. I like the blood type. And since it's easier to get forgiveness than permission, then Yow please forgive me, but the last line of your favorite passages post begs to be a headlining one-liner show.

Oh, meeeeeee three! :oops:

:oops: how can you beg forgiveness from me when I am slinging tear jerkers at you? Feels bad now. I gotta find something cheerful again.
Last edited by Yow on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Yow   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

Flag in Exile
...“All right. If you really need one somewhat less than mint-condition captain, I suppose you've got her. What were you planning to do with her?"
"Well," Matthews tried to hide his exultation at her response...

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by roseandheather   » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:14 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Yow wrote:Flag in Exile
...“All right. If you really need one somewhat less than mint-condition captain, I suppose you've got her. What were you planning to do with her?"
"Well," Matthews tried to hide his exultation at her response...

Cue poor Honor being completely blindsided as she's handed a flagship and an Admiral's billet. :twisted:

I know it's mean of me, but I love it when the Graysons blindside Honor. It's so glorious. Particularly that runaround they gave her about changing the name of Harrington-class podnoughts after she got back from Hades....
~*~

Javier & Eloise

Return to Honorverse