Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 158 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by ksandgren   » Sun May 18, 2014 8:33 pm

ksandgren
Captain (Junior Grade)

Vince wrote:What do you think the Honorverse book with the most one-liners is? And separately, what Honorverse book has the most memorable one-liners?

I think Cauldron of Ghosts has the most one-liners. Maybe even the most memorable one-liners.

While COG may have the most one liner possibilities, there is no doubt that Shannon Foraker's "oops" is the most memorable. For all the many pages of others, some of which are really wonderful, "oops" is one everyone recognizes immediately as well as being marvelous copy.
Post by Hutch   » Sun May 18, 2014 8:58 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Vince wrote:What do you think the Honorverse book with the most one-liners is? And separately, what Honorverse book has the most memorable one-liners?

I think Cauldron of Ghosts has the most one-liners. Maybe even the most memorable one-liners.

My vote isn't even for a book-it is for a short story. From the Highlands. See this thread for all the goodies...viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5123
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by stewart   » Sun May 18, 2014 10:14 pm

stewart
Captain of the List

" The treatise was absolutely delightful. I especially enjoyed the part where Honor's fist plowed into his face. :D[/quote] "

Actually Honor backhanded Houseman -- only needed a single hit

-- Stewart
Post by Amaroq   » Wed May 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Going back to the beginning with this one. From HoTQ:

"Manticore can do a lot more for us than Haven can: they're closer, their technology's better, and they're a hell of a lot less likely to absentmindedly gobble us up one fine day."

All wonderful qualities in an ally I would say.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by cthia   » Wed May 21, 2014 5:15 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:Going back to the beginning with this one. From HoTQ:

"Manticore can do a lot more for us than Haven can: they're closer, their technology's better, and they're a hell of a lot less likely to absentmindedly gobble us up one fine day."

All wonderful qualities in an ally I would say.

Nice one Amaroq. And it reminds me of something I always wondered about. If Masada would have entered into the same type arrangement with Haven, how would that have ultimately worked out? I think about it being akin to Russia putting missiles in Cuba.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by TheMonster   » Wed May 21, 2014 7:43 pm

TheMonster
Rear Admiral

Not a happy one-liner:
Mission of Honor, Ch. 28 wrote:What happened wasn't anyone's fault.
Those five words say ... so much.
Post by cthia   » Thu May 22, 2014 5:09 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

:P
TheMonster wrote:
Not a happy one-liner:
Mission of Honor, Ch. 28 wrote:
What happened wasn't anyone's fault.
Those five words say ... so much.

Monster! I like your blood type. Nice one-liner.

Yes it does say so much. And it is sad. Actually, kind of somber.

Cog
That wafer contained a bank validation code, a numerical value, and a security key whose security was probably better protected than the Solarian League Navy's central computer command codes.

Even less so, against Harkness.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat May 24, 2014 9:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
As a rule the lifespan of genetic slaves was shorter than that of most humans, even leaving aside the fact that such slaves were almost never given prolong to extend their lifespan. According to the Bible, The days of our years are threescore years and ten. Manpower, Inc., perhaps not wishing to seem presumptuously equal to the Lord, figured fifty or sixty years was plenty good enough for their products.

Oh. My. God.
Genetic slaves didn't just get a raw deal. Their raw deal got a raw deal. I wonder if Allison could reverse that life limitation for freed slaves without tampering outside forbidden gene sequences, if, of course, prolong is not an option.

Post by roseandheather   » Sat May 24, 2014 4:45 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Here, have yet more Dame Estelle Matsuko. I'll warn you, this one grabs for the heartstrings.

All of it spoke of a massive operation, one which went—which must go—far beyond whatever might be earned by selling drugs to a Bronze Age culture!

But why? Where did it go... and to what end? She was alone in a dark room, groping for shadows, and none of it made any sense. Not any sense at all.

She rose from her chair and walked to her office's huge window, staring unseeingly out over the Government Compound's low wall at the monotonous Medusan countryside. It couldn't be one of her people. It couldn't! Whatever the ultimate objective, whatever the reward, she couldn't—wouldn't—believe that any of her people could feed mekoha to the natives and connive at the cold-blooded murder of their own fellows!

But someone had installed a power tap in the one place neither she nor any of Harrington's people had even considered looking. And if it was built in, not added as an afterthought...

She closed her eyes, leaning her forehead against the tough, plastic window, and gritted her teeth in pain.

~ On Basilisk Station

I just want to wrap her up and hold her forever and make all the bad stuff go away!!
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sat May 24, 2014 6:31 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:Here, have yet more Dame Estelle Matsuko. I'll warn you, this one grabs for the heartstrings.

All of it spoke of a massive operation, one which went—which must go—far beyond whatever might be earned by selling drugs to a Bronze Age culture!

But why? Where did it go... and to what end? She was alone in a dark room, groping for shadows, and none of it made any sense. Not any sense at all.

She rose from her chair and walked to her office's huge window, staring unseeingly out over the Government Compound's low wall at the monotonous Medusan countryside. It couldn't be one of her people. It couldn't! Whatever the ultimate objective, whatever the reward, she couldn't—wouldn't—believe that any of her people could feed mekoha to the natives and connive at the cold-blooded murder of their own fellows!

But someone had installed a power tap in the one place neither she nor any of Harrington's people had even considered looking. And if it was built in, not added as an afterthought...

She closed her eyes, leaning her forehead against the tough, plastic window, and gritted her teeth in pain.

~ On Basilisk Station

I just want to wrap her up and hold her forever and make all the bad stuff go away!!

Yea, make all the bad stuff go away.

Gees. I need tissue. I always felt that Dame Estelle was stranded on Basilisk Station, alone. I was so glad that her and Honor found each other. I always got the feeling that Honor had her feet propped up while in Estelle's office. :o
Not likely I know. It was just their...rapport.

I don't ever recall using this particular common greeting, but if I ever met Dame Estelle...

'What is a girl like you doing in a place like this?'

Thanks for the tender moment Rose.

Return to Honorverse