Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 140 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by Greentea   » Fri May 16, 2014 8:53 am

Greentea
Commander

Exactly. Manticore will always capture pirates and take them to the appropriate local authorities. In Manticore, that is easy, because Manticore will deal harshly with pirates. However, in Silesia, the proper procedure is to hand pirates over to local Silesian authorities, which can have mixed results. The procedure that Honor and the rest of the RMN follow is to hand pirates over once to the local authorities (maintaining the fiction of Silesian control) and enter the pirates into the database, including the government they were handed over to. If another Manticoran ship captures them again, they are summarily executed and it is known to not hand pirates over to that local government. The chance is for the local Silesian government, not for the pirates.

SWM wrote:Cthia, I think the problem is a
misunderstanding of Manticore's zero tolerance policy. It does NOT mean automatic and immediate execution. Zero tolerance means that every pirate is sent to appropriate authorities for trial; they are never simply released. If convicted of piracy, the usual sentence in Manticore is death. But even in Manticore, a lesser sentence can be given in some circumances. In fact, it is possible that a pirate might be acquitted, or convicted of a lesser sentence in some circumstances. Manticoran naval commanders have the authority (but not the obligation) to try pirates in the field, sentence, and execute punishment. But most pirates are simply sent on to a planetary authority for trial.

Honor did not release the pirates. She very correctly handed them over to the local police, along with the evidence. That is not the same as giving the pirates a second chance--the pirates were supposed to go on trial for their crimes. The local government argued (with considerable validity) that they were the appropriate authorities to try local pirates. In turning them over to the police, Honor was fully complying with Manticore's zero tolerance policy toward pirates. She had the option of summary trial and execution, but political considerations weighed in favor of giving the local government a chance to demonstrate their system of justice. That is not really the same as giving the pirates a second chance. Honor was following the zero tolerance policy by turning the pirates over to appropriate authorities for trial.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.
Post by cthia   » Fri May 16, 2014 12:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

CoG
Damewood rose from his chair. Unfolded from his seat, it might be better to say. The XO seemed to have a skeleton with considerably more bones than any member of the human species had a right to. There were rumors that he was the product of dark experiments done in complete violation of Beowulf’s code of biological ethics.

Never ceases to amaze me, the products of genetic tampering.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SWM   » Fri May 16, 2014 1:14 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:CoG
Damewood rose from his chair. Unfolded from his seat, it might be better to say. The XO seemed to have a skeleton with considerably more bones than any member of the human species had a right to. There were rumors that he was the product of dark experiments done in complete violation of Beowulf’s code of biological ethics.

I was unable to decide whether that sentence meant that he really did have extra bones and joints, or whether he was so amazingly agile or flexible that he seemed to have extra joints. I sort of lean toward the latter, probably because the former is rather scary. But either way, yeah, extreme genetic modification.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by cthia   » Fri May 16, 2014 2:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:
CoG

SWM wrote:
I was unable to decide whether that sentence meant that he really did have extra bones and joints, or whether he was so amazingly agile or flexible that he seemed to have extra joints. I sort of lean toward the latter, probably because the former is rather scary. But either way, yeah, extreme genetic modification.

Beats me too SWM. I always just attribute it to super double-jointed, or something. My lab assistant is fresh out of college, and she freaks us out by bending either of her fingers all the way back to touch the back of her hand. My colleagues tease me that I'm running some sort of Frankenstein experiments on her in the lab, since the door has to remain closed during many procedures.

For your edification:
http://youtu.be/ZTyQgCruY-E
http://youtu.be/Ck2ZmPl8F9c
http://youtu.be/pSnP3G-u9wY

Edit:
Secret to long-lasting marriages.
http://youtu.be/ewY3r_d_B8I

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun May 18, 2014 11:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
one-liner emphasized.
Damewood smiled. “Nothing fancy, Ganny. It’d just be nice to have you pulling away from the station right as this new ship is arriving and cursing a blue streak on an open frequency. You could even directly warn the incoming people that they’re about to be fleeced by the greediest and most unscrupulous bastards this side of Betelgeuse.”

Hillarious. And forgive me but I cannot prevent my associating this with the unscrupulous and greedy persona of the character Beetlejuice. Gotta love Jim Carey.

Post by Imaginos1892   » Sun May 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Cauldron of Ghosts
one-liner emphasized.
Damewood smiled. “Nothing fancy, Ganny. It’d just be nice to have you pulling away from the station right as this new ship is arriving and cursing a blue streak on an open frequency. You could even directly warn the incoming people that they’re about to be fleeced by the greediest and most unscrupulous bastards this side of Betelgeuse.”

Hillarious. And forgive me but I cannot prevent my associating this with the unscrupulous and greedy persona of the character Beetlejuice. Gotta love Jim Carey.

Uhhh....that was Michael Keaton.

Gave me a bit of a turn a few years later: "What? Beetlejuice is going to play Batman? What are they smokin'?"
Post by cthia   » Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Cauldron of Ghosts
one-liner emphasized.

Imaginos1892 wrote:Uhhh....that was Michael Keaton.

Gave me a bit of a turn a few years later: "What? Beetlejuice is going to play Batman? What are they smokin'?"

:lol: Typecasting can really be a copper-plated beotch.
Oops. Sorry, Been watching a Jim Carey marathon all week. Guess I got Jimmy on the brain. :oops:

I thought Michael Keaton made a pretty good Batman, although it was a bit uncomfortable accepting him as the caped crusader.

Post by cthia   » Sun May 18, 2014 1:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

CoG
“—une vraie salope! And as for you, dickless, I wouldn’t wish you on a Melbourne humpmonkey! Although you’d probably do okay with my second cousin Odom—that’s short for Sodom; his family dropped the ‘s’ after his third conviction for fumbled rape, on account of he’d become an embarrassment to them—when he gets out of prison in maybe fifty or sixty years. I’ll make sure to tell him to look you up although I doubt you’ll still be alive by then, the way you swindle people.

:lol:

Post by Vince   » Sun May 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Vince
Vice Admiral

What do you think the Honorverse book with the most one-liners is? And separately, what Honorverse book has the most memorable one-liners?

I think Cauldron of Ghosts has the most one-liners. Maybe even the most memorable one-liners.
-------------------------------------------------------------
History does not repeat itself so much as it echoes.
Post by cthia   » Sun May 18, 2014 8:23 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Vince wrote:What do you think the Honorverse book with the most one-liners is? And separately, what Honorverse book has the most memorable one-liners?

I think Cauldron of Ghosts has the most one-liners. Maybe even the most memorable one-liners.

I was having a ball with ART. I cannot comment on CoG yet. Still reading, but I can believe your claim. I want to revisit OBS for one-liners. Have a feeling there's some real gems there. As far as the most memorable, very difficult as I like so many. But the Graysons tend to produce nice ones.

Return to Honorverse