Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

While technically not a one liner that is tossed off, this is one of my favourite lines:
A suprise is usally when something someone knows all along turns out to be somthing different.

Unforunatly I think I butchered it :oops:
Post by cthia   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:
While technically not a one liner that is tossed off, this is one of my favourite lines:
A suprise is usally when something someone knows all along turns out to be somthing different.

A one-liner is a one-liner. We accept all blood-types here. That works fine. Not sure if it has been listed either. Don't know if you butchered it, but it's close enough!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:08 pm

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
Commodore Oakius wrote:

A one-liner is a one-liner. We accept all blood-types here. That works fine. Not sure if it has been listed either. Don't know if you butchered it, but it's close enough!

Cool, thanks :D . Surprised it wasn't. I love that quote. (still gotta find it.)
Post by jthoma8318   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:33 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

Actually Trevor's Star had been in Manticore hands for several years before Buttercup. That quote was Theisman quoting an interview with White Haven after the armistice describing Buttercup.

cthia wrote:RearAdmiral Saber,
"Oh my god it's a dreadnaught." Where is that from, I don't know that one at all?

I got one I got one...
After Operation Buttercup when Earl White Haven retook Trevor's Star...
"It was like feeding baby chicks to near shark."
Post by jthoma8318   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:05 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
bhasseler wrote:"Admiral Yanakov to all Grayson units. The order is -- Lady Harrington, and no mercy!"

Yes, I was there when the order went out. Amidst the cheers of the Grayson Navy. :D

Great admirals don't make wars great, bad admirals make great admirals' wars great.
-cthia

And followed by Admiral White Haven, "Remind me to discuss communication discipline with Admiral Yanakov."
Post by jthoma8318   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:14 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

bunyipbelle wrote:"I'm Usually undecided between pinning a medal on him and shooting him"

Eloise Pritchard talking to Honor about Victor Cachat
in Mission of Honor.

"For all I know - or all I can prove, anyway - he might've been ambushed and devoured by space hamsters"

Denis LePic talking about Victor Cachat's possible whereabouts in Mission of Honor.

And of course Honor's line that prompted the question from Eloise to LePic, "Do you know the whereabouts of Officer Cachet?"
Post by jthoma8318   » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:35 pm

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

NortonIDaughter wrote:"Tell him to start studying the Ellington Protocol, Mr. Summervale."

"She shot him 7 times because she wanted to." (number might be wrong, might be narative not a quote too. No access to books)

Allan Summervale to QE
Post by Weird Harold   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:06 am

Weird Harold
Fleet Admiral

Commodore Oakius wrote:Cool, thanks :D . Surprised it wasn't. I love that quote. (still gotta find it.)

A suprise is usually when something someone knows all along turns out to be something different.

That "quote" comes in so many different forms that it doesn't really matter if you can find it; The best discussion of the concept is at Honor's Dinner Party with Abigail and the other cadets.
Answers! I got lots of answers!

(Now if I could just find the right questions.)
Post by jthoma8318   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:02 am

jthoma8318
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
“Each of those LACs has more missile defense capability than one of your Rampart-class or War Harvest-class destroyers,” she told him. “In fact, they probably have more antimissile capability than one of your cruisers.

I had no idea that LACs had that much anti-missile capability.
How can that be so? I mean, as much anti-missile capability as a cruiser? I know we're talking a Solarian cruiser but still. Isn't there a considerable size differential? What am I missing here...again?

And at this moment there are two thousand of them deployed with each of my forces. Which doesn’t even consider what our onboard defenses and EW will do to your birds.” She shook her head. “Your fire isn’t getting through my defenses, Admiral. Not enough of it to do you one bit of good.”

Sometimes an author's words are worth a single acute image.
I can literally see Honor shaking her head, and rolling her eyes. :roll:

RFC is ahead of his time...we're just fortunate readers.

Not so much a LAC has such great missile defense as the SLN ships have such pathetic systems.
Post by Commodore Oakius   » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:55 am

Commodore Oakius
Captain (Junior Grade)

Weird Harold wrote:
Commodore Oakius wrote:Cool, thanks :D . Surprised it wasn't. I love that quote. (still gotta find it.)

A suprise is usually when something someone knows all along turns out to be something different.

That "quote" comes in so many different forms that it doesn't really matter if you can find it; The best discussion of the concept is at Honor's Dinner Party with Abigail and the other cadets.

Thanks so much. I knew it was in the dinner discussion, I just didn't take the time to look it up

Return to Honorverse