Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: penny and 59 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by dreamrider   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:03 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:Everyone has all of these titles. No mention of Stacy's title?

Stacy Hauptman, daughter of the richest man in the Honorverse, Princess of the Hauptman Cartel, the richest woman in the Honorverse.

He isn't, and she isn't.

As of ToF, Albrecht tells Benjamin that if the Hauptman and Harrington financial empires were to be combined, in the event of the untimely death of both Klaus and Stacy, the resulting financial block would be only about #20, galaxy wide.

So let's figure Klaus is probably about #30 as it stands.

dreamrider
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

dreamrider wrote:

Stacy Hauptman, daughter of the richest man in the Honorverse, Princess of the Hauptman Cartel, the richest woman in the Honorverse.

He isn't, and she isn't.

As of ToF, Albrecht tells Benjamin that if the Hauptman and Harrington financial empires were to be combined, in the event of the untimely death of both Klaus and Stacy, the resulting financial block would be only about #20, galaxy wide.

So let's figure Klaus is probably about #30 as it stands.

dreamrider

There are 29 entities richer than Hauptman? :o
Gees! Someone's smuggling a shit-load of kodiak max pelts!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Mirror mirror, just who is the richest in the land? Someone smuggling kodiak max, a Solarian skimming off the naval budget, a Mesan selling sex, or a drug dealer selling stilthy? Or Horace Harkness redirecting every half-cent from every account everywhere. What's the equivalent of a blue collar crime in the 'Verse?

I gotta go to bed, I'm overworked.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:00 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Probably the richest is a major shareholder in banco de madrid, or some such, a family from the core worlds with several generations of expanding the fortune, possibly even as far back as prior to the settling of manticore.
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Hutch   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:21 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Spacekiwi wrote:Probably the richest is a major shareholder in banco de madrid, or some such, a family from the core worlds with several generations of expanding the fortune, possibly even as far back as prior to the settling of manticore.

Or possibly one of the transtellar "families", like the one mentioned in ART (I have forgetten their names, except that they came from Valdivostok), who in effect 'bought' the Presidency of the SL just to keep a useless relation occupied.... :o

Hmmmmm...I wonder if some of the more powerful transtellars might be contacting Klaus and Stacy, figuring that maybe they can do a deal with someone like him easier than with the GA....they may be in for a surprise....

We shall see...eventually.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by Yow   » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:24 am

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:
On Basilisk Station
This was her ship, and the fact that the Hauptman Cartel could undoubtedly have bought Fearless out of petty cash didn't change that.

Buy Fearless with petty cash. :o

Everyone has all of these titles. No mention of Stacy's title?

ToF
...the Cartel had already provided the Kingdom of Torch with well over a dozen frigates...

...According to official reports, the Hauptman Cartel had built them at cost...

...unofficial (but exceedingly persistent) reports, Klaus and Stacey Hauptman had picked up somewhere around seventy-five percent of their construction costs out of their own pockets...

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Amaroq   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:07 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

A tidbit from SFtS.

Still, it would have been nice to be part of a governing structure that wielded direct, overt authority rather than skulking about in the shadows. Even if they were extraordinarily lucrative and luxurious shadows.

Yeah, Kolokoltsov, somehow I don't see you giving up that luxurious lifestyle to usher in honest governance...
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:27 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

Klaus Hauptman is also described several times as "aggressively commoner" - he disdains hereditary titles, and takes delight in making all those useless aristocrats green by having more money than most of them put together. So, no, it's extremely unlikely Stacy has a title, and the Queen probably won't want to antagonize Klaus by offering her one. While he's still around, anyway.
---------------
"I see they trained you well back home."
"They said I was carrying around a lot of repressed anger."
"And?"
"It's not repressed any more."
Post by Amaroq   » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

Ah, one of my few favorite Solarian characters (minus Beowulfans whom I don't consider Solarian).

Compared to someone who's been fighting for his life for two decades, we're soft, Irene—soft, underprepared, and complacent.

I love that Daud gets right to the point.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:28 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In Enemy Hands
"Down!"

I miss Andrew LaFollet. When he barked this order to His Lady, she obeyed. He had his own command voice. All of Grayson's armsmen were more than a bit anal when it came to protecting Honor. An ass for an ass. 'sigh' The Universe has its rules.

Return to Honorverse