Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 146 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by JeffEngel   » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:49 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
JeffEngel wrote:... It occurs to me that you need to get the two of them behind shipping your various not-yet-happy-couples. You know, in their spare time. :)

What makes you think they haven't already? They sent Sonja off to Bolthole and Shannon, didn't they? :mrgreen: 8-)

Ya, I'm still going to put that one down to winning the silly war against the largest human polity ever and the centuries- and space-spanning conspiracy.

Besides, Sonja's not Shannon's type. :P Maybe now that they're representing friendly states and no longer in the same chain of command, she can get together with Warner.
Post by cthia   » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:28 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

roseandheather wrote:
JeffEngel wrote:... It occurs to me that you need to get the two of them behind shipping your various not-yet-happy-couples. You know, in their spare time. :)

What makes you think they haven't already? They sent Sonja off to Bolthole and Shannon, didn't they? :mrgreen: 8-)

JeffEngel wrote:Ya, I'm still going to put that one down to winning the silly war against the largest human polity ever and the centuries- and space-spanning conspiracy.

Besides, Sonja's not Shannon's type. :P Maybe now that they're representing friendly states and no longer in the same chain of command, she can get together with Warner.

On the other hand, common-alities attract common-allies.

They both like playing with their Cogswell cogs, Spacely sprockets and ship's spanners. Love for each other's work may lead down a road to love for each other. Besides, if human nature hangs out with each other long enough, you're bound to rub each other the right or wrong way. Either creates a spark.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by roseandheather   » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:26 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

"....I'd be lying if I said a nasty little part of me doesn't take a certain satisfaction in seeing the almighty Solarian League flat on its face in the mud while somebody tapdances on its spine."
Eloise Pritchart, Mission of Honor

You and me both, Eloise. You and me both.

You see why she's the love of my life?
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:19 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Honor Among Enemies
She saw Aubrey Wanderman and Rafe Cardones bent over a Tracking yeoman, hands flashing as they slapped emergency seals onto her skinsuit, and her eyes flinched away from the mangled ruin which had once been Carolyn Wolcott and Kendrick O'Halley and Eddy Howard's drifting corpse.

Ever wonder what demons are in Honor's nightmares ?...

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by SharkHunter   » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:29 pm

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:Honor Among Enemies
She saw Aubrey Wanderman and Rafe Cardones bent over a Tracking yeoman, hands flashing as they slapped emergency seals onto her skinsuit, and her eyes flinched away from the mangled ruin which had once been Carolyn Wolcott and Kendrick O'Halley and Eddy Howard's drifting corpse.

Nope.

Though I am a functioning empath and do commiserate with our favorite fictional admiral because she has to carry them, I distinctly do NOT wish to wonder about nor understand those demons. Not a single one.
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:32 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

SharkHunter wrote:Nope.

Though I am a functioning empath and do commiserate with our favorite fictional admiral because she has to carry them, I distinctly do NOT wish to wonder about nor understand those demons. Not a single one.

Consider poor David, who effectively does have to wonder about and understand those demons.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by JeffEngel   » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:38 am

JeffEngel
Admiral

The Salamander leaves a lot of ghosts behind: most of the crews of the CL and CA Fearless; the crew of HMS Madrigal, ambushed and overwhelmed in a system she'd departed for reasons she can't quite accept in retrospect; more casualties out of HMS Nike and her brief de facto flag at Hancock Station; one man, just one, but that was Paul Tankersley, in the aftermath of Hancock; the first wall of battle of the GSN at Fourth Yeltsin, and the children - children! - murdered to smear her reputation in roles as Steadholder and entrepreneur she never wanted; the crew of HMS Wayfarer in Selker Rift; HMS Prince Adrian and too many old friends, savaged both in honest battle and under StateSec brutality; the people she couldn't save when she had to choose to save her monarchs in Yeltsin; the millions dead in the Second War she couldn't prevent or end any sooner; Andrew Lafollett, who she couldn't even get out of the line of fire in the end, not consistent with his sense of duty and love which put and kept him there in the first place; the millions she had to kill at Second Manticore. And who knows how many more who'll be dead under her command or at her orders before duty finally lets her stop killing.

It's not fair for her to blame herself for any of them, but she's got a generous sense of responsibility and it sponges up all the blood in the neighborhood.
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

JeffEngel wrote:
The Salamander leaves a lot of ghosts behind: most of the crews of the CL and CA Fearless; the crew of HMS Madrigal, ambushed and overwhelmed in a system she'd departed for reasons she can't quite accept in retrospect; more casualties out of HMS Nike and her brief de facto flag at Hancock Station; one man, just one, but that was Paul Tankersley, in the aftermath of Hancock; the first wall of battle of the GSN at Fourth Yeltsin, and the children - children! - murdered to smear her reputation in roles as Steadholder and entrepreneur she never wanted; the crew of HMS Wayfarer in Selker Rift; HMS Prince Adrian and too many old friends, savaged both in honest battle and under StateSec brutality; the people she couldn't save when she had to choose to save her monarchs in Yeltsin; the millions dead in the Second War she couldn't prevent or end any sooner; Andrew Lafollett, who she couldn't even get out of the line of fire in the end, not consistent with his sense of duty and love which put and kept him there in the first place; the millions she had to kill at Second Manticore. And who knows how many more who'll be dead under her command or at her orders before duty finally lets her stop killing.

It's not fair for her to blame herself for any of them, but she's got a generous sense of responsibility and it sponges up all the blood in the neighborhood.

Darn Jeff! Since you've produced a compendium of her source of demons, I'm shocked! The poor girl is suffering chronic nightmares for certain, because of the type person she is. She remembers every single life lost. There was a passage which states that Mac lived with her constant demon-nightmares as well. I wonder if they have at least subsided.

And let's not forget the Reverend Julius Hanks, who was an innocent bystander mistakenly absorbing violence meant for her.

Post by fallsfromtrees   » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:01 pm

fallsfromtrees
Vice Admiral

cthia wrote:snip
And let's not forget the Reverend Julius Hanks, who was an innocent bystander mistakenly absorbing violence meant for her.

Julius Hanks did not mistakenly absorb violence meant for her. He deliberately sacrificed himself to save Honor, and I, for one, prefer not to trivialize that sacrifice by calling him an innocent bystander mistakenly absorbing violence meant for her.
========================

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln
Post by cthia   » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:29 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

fallsfromtrees wrote:
cthia wrote:snip

Julius Hanks did not mistakenly absorb violence meant for her. He deliberately sacrificed himself to save Honor, and I, for one, prefer not to trivialize that sacrifice by calling him an innocent bystander mistakenly absorbing violence meant for her.

I am hereby chastised.

I'm quoting the assholes responsible, who opined that Hank's death was a mistake.

Return to Honorverse