Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:27 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hi All,
I got the idea of this topic after finishing rereading At All Costs. We all identify with famous one-liners from our beloved movies.

Clint Eastwood's...
"Make my day."
"Well are you gonna pull them pistols or whistle dixie?"
"Dying ain't much of a living boy."
"There's nothing like a good piece of hickory."

And of course Arnold Schwarzenegger's "I'll be back."

We all love our one-liners as they lend strength to the character and raise the medium to immortal status. Personally they strike an emotional chord throughout my body and my eyes grow teary, burning from excitement.

The Honorverse has many such one-liner-like moments. I am interested in what these moments are for all of you. Perhaps I missed a tear. So I ask you to share your most favorite and dearest one-liners from the Honorverse. Has to be one line, or as near as possible. Of course it is ok to ad lib. I'll supply my own tissue. Here is one of my favorites, spoken by Honor Harrington from At All Costs.

"We meet again, Admiral Tourville," she said, and her soprano voice was cold.

Note:
Some one-liner-like moments cover the depth and breadth of entire paragraphs. Fine.

Wield the quill genteel.

With pressure from the people consider the ban lifted...

Raise the curtain...

For any still aimlessly lost on the battlefield, strategy is what is planned in the War Room on paper. Tactics are what happens in the heat of battle to prevent that heat from catching your ass and your papers on fire! -Cthia's 12-year-old niece

Midway through one of the formation flying exhibitions at our last airshow, looking up at the sky...
America is too big for its britches Uncle. Good thing it has a very big belt. -Cthia's 12 year-old niece

An aside:
I miss my mother and father. Had they lived I can scarcely imagine the impact they would have had on their children considering the impact achieved in the very short time we had them. The lessons taught to us by our parents live outside a vacuum inside a continuum.

Our parents have many methods of teaching us.
My parents used their own one-liners.

Son, do not cater to the common belief that a man has to earn your respect. That is not true. You should give every man respect right from the start. What a man has to earn is your continued respect.

Son, you are not God so I don't expect you to walk on water, but do you think you can learn to stand on land?

one of the very first things he taught his boys...
I only have two rules. One, never hit my wife or my wife's daughters. Two, transgressions of this rule will be met with severe punishment. Three, if you find yourself at rule number three, you've gone too far. See rule number two.

I don't care if you boys kill each other. Just do it outside! But when your mother finds out, the survivor of the battle won't survive the war. Guess who'll be leading the charge?

One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch. But it will always get the worm executed.

He had many more. Thus was my father. Memories are our key to immortality.
When your mother and I speak always pay attention.
Attention charges a lot less than we do.

He teaches his boys chivalry.
All girls are Princesses. Never strike a Princess. the King shall seek justice.

Never underestimate your opponent.
Always assume sharpness of the serpent's teeth.

If I had a dollar for every time you told me 'I dunno,' I could buy us both an answer.

I don't want you to attend school to be smart, I just want you to be smart enough to attend school.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble.

My father always read the morning paper. If he was at home he had to have his morning fix of black coffee and the Beetle Bailey comic strip. I never understood it but now I do. Laughter is the best medicine.

I look forward to these posts to begin the day. Laughter, joy, even anger, wakes me up and gets me started, ready to do battle with the problems of the day.

For me, these posts are like living blood, often sustaining joy and laughter.

I encourage you to donate...all blood types are accepted.

And...thanks.
Last edited by cthia on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:01 am, edited 20 times in total.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by munroburton   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:33 pm

munroburton
Admiral

Flag In Exile wrote:"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

Granted, it's not quite an one-liner.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:40 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Commodore Munroburton,
Excellent one-liner sir! Certainly one of my favorites as well. Didn't want to hog all the glory myself and wanted to see how long it would take someone to hit it. You are fast off the mark with that maneouvre Commodore, excellent.
Wow, now i want to go and re-re-re-reread that one! :lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kzt   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:41 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

“Why is it that people like you always think you’re more ruthless than people like me?”
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:48 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Fleet Admiral kzt,
I am cracking up. Everyone in my household is staring at me. I am sure they are wondering if I've finally lost my last nut. Cracking up...GOOD ONE. Can you remember who spoke it and where. Gees, can't stop laughing! :lol:

Last edited by cthia on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by roseandheather   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:49 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Time for me to go with the blatantly obvious, but...

"Goodbye, Citizen Chairman."

*cue very girly swoon*

Also, the moment I forever fell eternally in love with Mike Henke: "All things considered, Her Grace's plan may not have been the single rashest, most foolhardy, do-or-die, all-or-nothing throw of the dice in the history of the Royal Manticoran —- or Grayson -— Navy. If it wasn't, however, I have so far failed to find the plan that was."
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:54 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Commodore roseandheather,
Which book? Please, please...don't tease me. I love this forum. Meat and potatoes. Thanks for sharing

Post by elm15801   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:57 pm

elm15801
Midshipman

cthia wrote:Fleet Admiral kzt,
I am cracking up. Everyone in my household are staring at me. I am sure they are wondering if I've finally lost my last nut. Cracking up...GOOD ONE. Can you remember who spoke it and where. Gees, can't stop laughing! :lol:

—Commodore Sir Aivars Terekhov, Royal Manticoran Navy
from Shadow of Freedom.
Post by cthia   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:06 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Thanks Midshipman elm15801,
I couldn't remember the where of that one-liner. Now I can stop firing so many neurons at it. As Charlie from Two-and-a-Half-Men was fond of saying, "There it is."

I wonder who will hit what I think is the [most] obvious.
Last edited by cthia on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by boballab   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:10 pm

boballab
Captain of the List

elm15801 wrote:
cthia wrote:Fleet Admiral kzt,
I am cracking up. Everyone in my household are staring at me. I am sure they are wondering if I've finally lost my last nut. Cracking up...GOOD ONE. Can you remember who spoke it and where. Gees, can't stop laughing! :lol:

—Commodore Sir Aivars Terekhov, Royal Manticoran Navy
from Shadow of Freedom.

Yes that replaced my other favorite at the top of my list. Prior to that it was this little gem from then Radm Luis Rozsak on the state of the SLN officer corp:
I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!

I might even have to change my sig to Terekhov's one liner
Last edited by boballab on Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'd like to think that someone in the Navy somewhere has at least the IQ of a gerbil!" Rear Admiral Rozsak on the officers in the SLN

Return to Honorverse