Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 131 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 7:46 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
If they rebelled successfully here in the compartments and corridors, someone in the inaccessible control room would just push a button and they’d all be expelled into vacuum.

A minute of mankind's most darkest hour.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sun May 25, 2014 7:43 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
A bit disgruntled by the silly business of taking prisoners but obedient to orders, Kabweza fired at the lower legs of the man sitting in front of her. The shot shredded the limbs below the knees so badly that they’d have to be amputated. But with quick care he’d survive and he didn’t need legs to talk.

ROTFF

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Bill Woods   » Sun May 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Bill Woods
Captain of the List

In Cauldron of Ghosts, Thandi gets a bit impatient with people talking over her head:
Thandi shrugged. "Got no idea. Spook-think doesn't come naturally to me. Victor, would you care to enlighten us?"
She pursed her lips thoughtfully. "Perhaps I should rephrase that. If you don't explain yourself I'm going to take up a new aerobic exercise. It's called the Cachat Curl."
"Can I watch?" asked Berry.

"You're making me dizzy. I don't understand—" [Jacques BR&C] broke off sharply, his eyes widening. "Oh, dear God in Heaven. That's ... brilliant."
Thandi started whistling tunelessly. "If anybody thinks I can't turn the Cachat Curl into a general-purpose workout routine, you'd best start thinking again. What the hell are you all talking about?"
----
Imagined conversation:
Admiral [noting yet another Manty tech surprise]:
XO, what's the budget for the ONI?
Vice Admiral: I don't recall exactly, sir. Several billion quatloos.
Admiral: ... What do you suppose they did with all that money?
Post by roseandheather   » Sun May 25, 2014 10:48 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Bill Woods wrote:In Cauldron of Ghosts, Thandi gets a bit impatient with people talking over her head:
Thandi shrugged. "Got no idea. Spook-think doesn't come naturally to me. Victor, would you care to enlighten us?"
She pursed her lips thoughtfully. "Perhaps I should rephrase that. If you don't explain yourself I'm going to take up a new aerobic exercise. It's called the Cachat Curl."
"Can I watch?" asked Berry.

"You're making me dizzy. I don't understand—" [Jacques BR&C] broke off sharply, his eyes widening. "Oh, dear God in Heaven. That's ... brilliant."
Thandi started whistling tunelessly. "If anybody thinks I can't turn the Cachat Curl into a general-purpose workout routine, you'd best start thinking again. What the hell are you all talking about?"

Now I want to watch the Cachat Curl. I wonder if Berry likes popcorn? :twisted:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Yow   » Sun May 25, 2014 11:54 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

On Takahashi Ayako's prowess with a paring knife.

“Hey, look, I just thought she was cute,” Sergeant Supakrit X later explained to the battalion commander.

“There she was, surrounded by apes armed to the teeth and armored to boot, but she still insisted on getting a weapon herself. If you can call a glorified toothpick a weapon.”

“Cute,” said Kabweza, looking disgusted.

Supakrit X made a face. “Look, Chief, I’m sorry. I misjudged.”

“Cute,” Kabweza repeated. “Glorified toothpick.”

Love at first fight?

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Yow   » Mon May 26, 2014 10:56 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

from HotQ
She'd barely brought her terminal alive when MacGuiness appeared with a steaming mug, and she wondered yet again if he had a power meter on her computer circuits. He always seemed to appear, as if by magic, the instant she booted the system, and this late at night he could be counted upon to ply her with the rich, sweet cocoa she loved while she worked.
"Thank you, Mac," she said as she took the cup.
"You're welcome, Ma'am." MacGuiness completed the ritual with a smile. The chief steward had followed her from her last command, and they'd settled into a comfortable routine over the past twenty-seven months. He was a bit too inclined to fuss over her, but Honor had discovered (somewhat guiltily) that she had no particular objection to being spoiled

from MoH
They stood that way for quite some time, with Nimitz leaning forward from Honor’s shoulder to rub his cheek against Samantha’s. Then Honor straightened and stepped back with a ghost of a smile.
It’s all right, Mac,” she called out, raising her voice slightly. “You can come out now.”
Hamish made a sound which might someday turn into a chuckle again as James MacGuiness poked his head through the hatch from his steward’s pantry.

No fooling Honor now ;)

Bold italics quote is me

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by Amaroq   » Wed May 28, 2014 3:56 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

A little moving scene from the end of EoH:

White Haven reached out, his fingers trembling, and touched her face on the com as gently as he might have touched a terrified bird, yet the terror was his, and he knew it.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by Imaginos1892   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:32 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

From At All Costs, chapter 32:

"Captain," Honor emphasized his rank coldly, "you do not want to get into a pissing contest with me."

Ha ha ha!! She does not suffer fools. At all.

Beyond the one-liner, she continues:

"Trust me on that. I said you're relieved, and you are relieved. I will inform all Eighth Fleet personnel that you have no authority, and instruct them not to cooperate with your investigation in any way. And if you choose not to accept my decision, I will personally return to Manticore to discuss it with Admiral Givens, Admiral Caparelli, Earl White Haven, and—if necessary—with the Queen herself. Are you reading me clearly on this, Captain?"

Priceless.
----------------
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!!
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:42 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

"What the hell. I've always liked a good challenge."
~ Queen Elizabeth III Winton

Also known as: the line that put a permanent and bloody end to the Mesan Alignment, and was responsible for the wholesale destruction of an entire box of tissues at my hands.
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by Hutch   » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:54 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

It has been a week, and it seems a shame to let such a venerable thread die, so I'll keep it on life support just a little while longer.

Mike Henke muses just after winning the Battle of Spindle and inheriting 400,000 Sollie prisioners....

Yet from the perspective of securing its prizes, Tenth Fleet was in the position of someone who'd chartered a small boat to fish for near-tuna and landed a twelve-meter fluke-shark, instead. An impressive achievement, yes, but what did you do with the thing?

I've never caught a fluke-shark, but I get the picture.... 8-) :shock:
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Return to Honorverse