Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:37 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Cauldron of Ghosts
The moment they brought out the BSC people posing as Manpower pleasure slaves, Tsang and her people would get distracted and let their guard down a little further.

Well what do you know, Trojan horses in the Honorverse. :lol:

Aside:
Hope you all don't mind my sharing. But I just have to!

What a weekend. My niece's recital was an extravaganza. As always.

Then the chess match of the decade. Tierney had been challenged by a master who is less than ten points from a Senior Master ranking. My niece hadn't played anyone on that particular level. My sister was a bit concerned as the buildup to this match had intensified over the last several weeks. A match that had taken almost a year and a half to arrange, as my niece is so busy and this guy lives in New York and attends a school for the gifted in Indiana.

First game, playing white, he managed to force a draw. Or perhaps I should say that my niece managed to force a draw, because this guy had taken a knight and two pawns free and clear. Then my niece lost her queen, but still managed a draw. Right away I'm thinking 'Uh oh, this guy is strong, my niece is in for it.'

Second game, my niece is now playing white. She wins a hard fought game, but barely. Although it isn't, she calls that game a draw as well, because although she mated the guy, his very next move would have resulted in a mate as well.

Tierney has always had a problem with these type wins and refers to them as either mutual draws resulting in a peace treaty or mutual cases of mass destruction. Someone suggested an alternate ending to the Battle of Manticore which offers up a victorious Havenite Navy and a surrendered Manticore before Honor could hyper in, resulting in Honor taking her forces directly to Haven and forcing an equal an opposite surrender. My niece argues that scenario to be "an impasse leading to a truce, or mutual destruction resulting from leaders with the IQ of a Byng or the mind conditioning of a Filareta."

So, my niece is now involved in a friendly(she thought) discussion with this guy, after the first technical win — trying to relegate this particular win to the "draw" category. All of my niece's cheerleaders are going "just shut up Tierney and accept the win!" Internally, I was too. I know her and what she was alluding to, regarding her feelings. I've played her enough and we've discussed the above alternate scenario.

The Turning Point
Tierney turns to me "You know how I feel about this Uncle. It isn't really a true win."

"You're crazy," says the guy.

"Perhaps you should just accept the win honey," pushes my sister. She thinks Tierney's in over her head and should just take any win she can get. I began to give it a try "Yes Princess, I know how you feel about this type of win but—"

"Yea, you should just listen to your daddy and take the win. You're not really a strong player and I just wasted my time coming all the way to North Carolina. You're not going to win another."

You could hear the proverbial pin drop after that remark. Even the kid's own parents were shocked at his attitude and rudeness. My sister's face showed concern for my niece's feelings whose face registered shock as well. Everyone was shocked to silence.

I was about to break the silence and offer my niece solace, but before I could, her Nimoy brow tried to launch itself. My niece raises a brow like Spock, but it goes up and down when she's startled, shocked, deeply thinking and angered. For the first time I liken it to Honor's nervous tick (in retrospect)... :lol:

Tierney altogether shocks everyone by bursting out into hysterical laughter. I mean, she couldn't stop herself. And that kind of laughter is catchy. We found ourselves laughing as well, though no one knew why. Except my sister wasn't much laughing. "Are you okay dear?" That only made her laugh harder, "No mom!" And more laughter.

Then the arrogant twit "Well, let's just leave dad. She's obviously lost it. She can't handle the pressure, and she's really not a good player at all."

"You just sit yourself right back down bucko. Not a good player? Ha! I'll have you know that I(and boy did she stress that I) could have been riding Glue Factory(her horse). I haven't seen or ridden my horse for almost two months and I wanted to visit with my Uncle and ride. Instead, I'm stuck inside wasting a snowless day here on the coast playing chess with the likes of you. I'm not a strong player??? The first game was a draw, but only because I wanted to see how you'd handle a grand left oblique not supported en appui. NOT VERY WELL! You should have won that game. You had overwhelming material advantage and position, but you blundered again by allowing me to sacrifice my Queen for much better position simultaneously pinning your bishop for the duration of the battle until she was lost.

"The second game, you opened up with a variation of my second favorite defense and my curiosity got the best of me. I wanted to see how well you'd handle yourself with a Queen's gambit. Guess what? NOT VERY! I could have beaten you easily. BOTH GAMES!"

The very silent pin-drop could be heard again. Everyone that knows my niece was shocked. She's so well mannered.

"We'll continue, from the beginning. Two four-out-of-seven falls as originally planned, but this time we'll eliminate the stupid clock."

My niece doesn't like speed chess. Actually she detests it. "It's like you have two opponents -- a stupid ticking clock, and if your opponent is stupid then there are two stupid sources vying for attention," she always says. Tierney just likes to be given a good game, and she says speed chess prevents a good game.

"Deal?"

"Clocks are to prevent novices from taking too long. I don't wish to be here all day," he says.

"Well I don't wish to be here at all and neither of us are weak enough to take that long. Are we?"

A challenge of a sort. And her brow shoots up to emphasize that point.

"Take her out Tommy," someone in his camp says.

"Are you sure you want to do this dear?," asks my sister. Still worried about her daughter, that this time she's in over her head. Tierney hasn't really had a serious defeat and sis worries how she'll accept it.

"Since I'm here mother, I may as well have myself some fun. But now, I'm not going to hold back, and it isn't going to be pretty!"

"Hold back? She was holding back?" All of my friends were stunned at that admission.

"I don't know. But if she says she was—"

My niece's older sister is grinning like a shark and rubbing her hands together. "Don't worry mom! Look at her. She's pissed. You do NOT want to piss Tierney off. (No you don't) This is going to be good."

A new round of four-out-of-seven commences, and even though there's no clock this guy is still moving as if there is. Nine complete moves into the game, and he finds himself in a world of hurt. He needs to castle but there are a few hazards. He recognizes his dilemma, and now it takes him about two minutes to move. My older niece is about to lose it, trying not to laugh. His camp is quieter than a mouse. He sacrifices a developed knight by allowing it to be pinned. My niece's next move puzzles all of us, but she doesn't seem to be too concerned as she passes up a bishop and a pawn.

His next move is simply an attempt to free himself because castling King side is no longer a viable option. In my niece's next move she anounces mate in three. Everyone is stunned, with the exception of my niece. The poor guy turns beat red but carries on. Game over. Mate.

The second game, he's playing white and is anxious to get on with it. He opens with pawn to Queen 4. Big mistake against her if you don't really know how to play that particular weaker opening against her favorite defense. Eleven moves into the game and he's already in a double fork check, threatening mate and threatening his Queen. His Queen is history. His moves are now averaging close to three minutes. Her response time is still approximately thirty seconds.

She blew through five games before anyone knew what had happened, least of all that poor sap. One four-out-of-seven is already under her belt. She is about to win game six and the guy's hand is noticeably trembling. He's beaten, afraid, and embarrassed. Everyone in our camp begins to feel sorry for him. My sister the most. But she's only 13. He's almost nineteen, a senior, in a school for the gifted. After she handily wins game six, he quits the contest and exclaims "she is some sort of voodoo priestess!"

My niece laughs. "You mean Princess. Though I've never been accused of black magic before."

We've never seen anything like it. What a treat. This guy, at almost nineteen, has a chess rating of 2392. His father insisted on him playing my niece. We warned him, almost two years ago.

Oh, what a weekend. My niece elected to take the rest of a very nice day, riding her beloved horse.

Later that night, Duke beat Syracuse 73-54. Uh huh uh huh uh huh uh huh! Goooo ACC!

Then, at 10 PM on pay-per-view, Rhonda Rousey beat Cat Zingano in 14 seconds for the UFC Bantamweight championship. That's one-four seconds. Damn!

I paid sixty bucks for fourteen seconds! Phuck!

My niece was entertaining for most of the night. Giving Rubic's cube performances. Then Rubic's revenge, four-sided performances, lectures on the math involved, algorithms that allow you to perform the cube behind your back after getting one side.

She then alerted everyone to the upcoming pi day.
pi = 3.141592653...

3.14.15 9:26:53

March 14, 2015 @ 9:26:53. What will you all be doing during this once in a life time?

Yow wrote:#!!!!!!!!!!!&^

I'll be working for that piece of pie. :cry:

Yow, do note that the entire day is pi day. And also note that 9:26:53 arrives twice, A.M. and P.M.

Although I won't be working, where I'd really like to be at such a profound time is standing at the top of the Temple of Kukulkan or in the midst of Stonehenge.

I've got other obligations, but my niece is this close > < to talking my sister into another trip to Stonehenge.

What if there is or are certain places on Earth where one should be standing right at that moment.

Secrets of the Ancients.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Ignatius Hood   » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Ignatius Hood
Midshipman

Honor doesn't say it exactly, but I think its a good line all the same. When she's about to attack Lovat on Katherine's birthday.

"Happy birthday, baby. I hope God lets me watch you grow up... and that you never have to do something like this."
Post by cthia   » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:55 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Ignatius Hood wrote:Honor doesn't say it exactly, but I think its a good line all the same. When she's about to attack Lovat on Katherine's birthday.

"Happy birthday, baby. I hope God lets me watch you grow up... and that you never have to do something like this."

Welcome to the forums. Have a drink on us. Old Tilman is the House's special. Peanuts are free, but the celery belongs to the cats.

I love that line Ignatius. It gave me very mixed emotions. It was a different, very personal, very intimate side of Honor. I could hear her choke up inside. It was sad. Ironically, profoundly sad.

Thing is, baby will probably end up growing up and borrowing that same line.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:48 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
“An ancient saw on Old Earth said it better. ‘Good fences make good neighbors.’” Anderson and Tsang exchanged slightly

So that's why bars are on windows up North, even on nice homes.

Post by cthia   » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:52 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
Speechlessness was a state of affairs that was probably impossible for Ruth Winton.

In my neck of the woods they call them chatty catties.

Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:32 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Pi day went well. I hope you all did something special. I had obligations but I had a dinner party for couples.

At exactly 3.14.15 9:26:53 A.M. I had an ongoing Skype call with my niece who was standing in the middle of Stonehenge. We both aimed a high powered laser into the sky as an experiment, in hopes that they'd converge.

At 3.14.15 9:26:53 P.M all couples went outside under the night sky for a full two minute kiss.

I think I made contact with the Ancients of Atlantis. Either that or that kiss rocked my socks.

Post by StealthSeeker   » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:41 pm

StealthSeeker
Commander

cthia wrote:
We've never seen anything like it. What a treat. This guy, at almost nineteen, has a chess rating of 2392. His father insisted on him playing my niece. We warned him, almost two years ago.

So,... if I did the correct research and used the appropriate rating system, your niece's opponent was (past tense) 8 points shy of a grand master rating. A very impressive win it was then, 13 years old or not!! Was the match recorded? Can it be viewed on YouTube? What rating does your niece have?

I am a terrible chess player, I think my friend use to let me win now and then to have pity on me. :roll: But we enjoyed the time and company together while we played.

As I said in another thread, woe to the unknowing, unsuspecting young man that takes your niece on a first date. This wasn't quite the "date" I had in mind but the young gentleman played the part of the fool well enough.
-
-
I think therefore I am.... I think
Post by cthia   » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:47 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

StealthSeeker wrote:
cthia wrote:We've never seen anything like it. What a treat. This guy, at almost nineteen, has a chess rating of 2392. His father insisted on him playing my niece. We warned him, almost two years ago.

So,... if I did the correct research and used the appropriate rating system, your niece's opponent was (past tense) 8 points shy of a grand master rating. A very impressive win it was then, 13 years old or not!! Was the match recorded? Can it be viewed on YouTube? What rating does your niece have?

I am a terrible chess player, I think my friend use to let me win now and then to have pity on me. :roll: But we enjoyed the time and company together while we played.

As I said in another thread, woe to the unknowing, unsuspecting young man that takes your niece on a first date. This wasn't quite the "date" I had in mind but the young gentleman played the part of the fool well enough.

Not exactly. The particular chess club he's in still uses the old system, in large part because of the lack of varied players faced within the club. He's actually approaching Senior Master.

My niece is totally unrated. She is not a part of any club, as she is much too busy with her studies, and my sister wishes to keep her head on straight. And she really detests the iconic chess clock! Like, really! Studying theoretical physics, playing piano, ballet, her research, her programming efforts, etc., etc., etc. Well ...

Her skills get around by word of mouth and players seek her out.

No, the games aren't recorded. That's a condition of my sister, as Tierney has been playing older players since she was nine, and winning. Sis is very much concerned about exposure(safety) of her very young daughter. She doesn't want it well known that she'll be entering college at 13. My sister is really sweating that. All of her brothers and sisters too.

And recording various moves on paper, with players moving at tournament-clock speeds is laughable.

Post by SharkHunter   » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:57 am

SharkHunter
Vice Admiral

Found this one last night, where Naomi Kaplan has just beaten Zavala's sim and they are contemplating the next "victim" in his sim... with whom Naomi has a bet for some expensive whiskey:

ShadowOfFreedom wrote:"A woman after my own underhanded, unfair, sneaky, and generally despicable heart," he observed. "I definitely see an admiral's flag in your future, Captain Kaplan!"
---------------------
All my posts are YMMV, IMHO, and welcoming polite discussion, extension, and rebuttal. This is the HonorVerse, after all
Post by cthia   » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I have to share this with you all. My niece has been cracking me up. She keeps texting me with these...

Uncle, it's a shame that treecats can't talk because I imagine they have plenty of one-liners of their own waiting to get out.

A treecat meets a Mesan down a dark alley with a pulser on his hip ready to draw.

The treecat sizes him up like Clint Eastwood with his P38's out to the side also ready to draw. He looks at the Mesan and says...

<Go on punk. Roll the die!> :lol:

Another treecat meets a Mesan down a dark alley and says...

<Go on punk. Call me a pussy!> :lol:

Return to Honorverse