Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Theemile and 26 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by Spacekiwi   » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:23 pm

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Ive come close to doing something similar with a real shark, and it suddenyl dawns on you the problems you are about to face....

Seeing a 4-5m shadow in the water in front of you, followed by it turning around and snapping the triple ply wire line with no effort really shows what a problem it would have been to actually land it.... For her its even worse, as she has landed it... :shock:

Hutch wrote:It has been a week, and it seems a shame to let such a venerable thread die, so I'll keep it on life support just a little while longer.

Mike Henke muses just after winning the Battle of Spindle and inheriting 400,000 Sollie prisioners....

Yet from the perspective of securing its prizes, Tenth Fleet was in the position of someone who'd chartered a small boat to fish for near-tuna and landed a twelve-meter fluke-shark, instead. An impressive achievement, yes, but what did you do with the thing?

I've never caught a fluke-shark, but I get the picture.... 8-) :shock:
`

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Post by Amaroq   » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:47 pm

Amaroq
Captain of the List

roseandheather wrote:"What the hell. I've always liked a good challenge."
~ Queen Elizabeth III Winton

Also known as: the line that put a permanent and bloody end to the Mesan Alignment, and was responsible for the wholesale destruction of an entire box of tissues at my hands.

Those poor tissues. They never stood a chance.
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill.
Post by roseandheather   » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:54 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Amaroq wrote:

Also known as: the line that put a permanent and bloody end to the Mesan Alignment, and was responsible for the wholesale destruction of an entire box of tissues at my hands.

Those poor tissues. They never stood a chance.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, given the nature of this series, they were in good company. I probably am responsible for an entire tissue graveyard. :mrgreen:
~*~

I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:44 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:It has been a week, and it seems a shame to let such a venerable thread die, so I'll keep it on life support just a little while longer.

Mike Henke muses just after winning the Battle of Spindle and inheriting 400,000 Sollie prisioners....

Yet from the perspective of securing its prizes, Tenth Fleet was in the position of someone who'd chartered a small boat to fish for near-tuna and landed a twelve-meter fluke-shark, instead. An impressive achievement, yes, but what did you do with the thing?

I've never caught a fluke-shark, but I get the picture.... 8-) :shock:

I have to say Hutch, I really missed this thread. Thanks for waking it. Hard to think that CPR was needed, just a simple waking...

What do you do after inheriting nearly a half-million prisoners?

CoG
“Don’t be so hard on yourself, Ayi,” said Anderson soothingly. “One fatality isn’t bad.” “It’s better than nothing,” Kabweza replied. “But I’m still going to be the butt of everyone’s jokes when the rest of our people find out. Kindergarten playgrounds have more dangerous so-called ‘assault troops’ than we turned out to be."

This had me ROTF. Perhaps because I know there's some truth in it. Our own playgrounds aren't exactly tame either anymore, and schools have become a virtual battleground. Perhaps that study needs to be revisited on the impact of high-tech video game violence and psychologically unbalanced kids. And 'normal' ones too.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Amaroq wrote:Those poor tissues. They never stood a chance.

roseandheather wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, given the nature of this series, they were in good company. I probably am responsible for an entire tissue graveyard. :mrgreen:

Think that's something? I'm constantly visited by the DEA because of all the tissue I buy. They are sure I'm...manufacturing cigarettes or something. :lol:

CoG

When the section left the mess hall, Takahashi Ayako picked up a kitchen knife that was lying on a counter. It was just a paring knife, having a blade no more than nine centimeters long. One of the assault troops spotted her doing it, but his only reaction was amusement.

“Hey, look, I just thought she was cute,” Sergeant Supakrit X later explained to the battalion commander. “There she was, surrounded by apes armed to the teeth and armored to boot, but she still insisted on getting a weapon herself. If you can call a glorified toothpick a weapon.

“Cute,” said Kabweza, looking disgusted.

Supakrit X made a face. “Look, Chief, I’m sorry. I misjudged.”

“Cute,” Kabweza repeated. “Glorified toothpick.”

Reminds me of my childhood. Being part Native American, I carried a pocket knife on our property. I was proud of that knife, but all of my brothers and sisters were in the military at some point. I remember seeing the knives they owned. Compared to mine, they weren't knives, they were spears. Crocodile Dundee anyone?

"Ha ha ha. That's not a knife. That's a knife."
http://youtu.be/_vW54lAtldI

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by Hutch   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:50 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I was browsing through Echos of Honor for a reference and found this little gem (rose may need a couple tissues.... 8-) ;) )

"And if the Committee and State Security are overthrown?" she asked. "You're starting down a dangerous slope, Warner. Even if the 'butchers' are thrown out of office, the people who replace them will probably never trust you again. Might even consider you a traitor."

"I've thought about that,"he agreed. "And you're right. If I cross the line to active collaboration with you, I'll never be able to go home. But if I don't cross it, all that's left for me would be to stand around doing nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that." Honor felt a stab of surprise as he echoed her own thoughts of only moments before, but he didn't seem to notice.

"That's the downside of the freedom of choice Admiral Parnell was talking about," he went on. "Once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you refuse to exercise it." He drew a deep breath, and his smile turned almost natural. "Besides, I've heard a lot about Captain Yu from Admiral Parnell in the last few weeks. If he could have the guts to not only take service with the Allies but actually go back to Grayson to do it, then so can I, by God! If you'll let me, of course."

Bold on the critical lines.

And Warner Caslet takes his irrevoccable steps...
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by cthia   » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:07 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Hutch wrote:I was browsing through Echos of Honor for a reference and found this little gem (rose may need a couple tissues.... 8-) ;) )

"And if the Committee and State Security are overthrown?" she asked. "You're starting down a dangerous slope, Warner. Even if the 'butchers' are thrown out of office, the people who replace them will probably never trust you again. Might even consider you a traitor."

"I've thought about that,"he agreed. "And you're right. If I cross the line to active collaboration with you, I'll never be able to go home. But if I don't cross it, all that's left for me would be to stand around doing nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that." Honor felt a stab of surprise as he echoed her own thoughts of only moments before, but he didn't seem to notice.

"That's the downside of the freedom of choice Admiral Parnell was talking about," he went on. "Once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you refuse to exercise it." He drew a deep breath, and his smile turned almost natural. "Besides, I've heard a lot about Captain Yu from Admiral Parnell in the last few weeks. If he could have the guts to not only take service with the Allies but actually go back to Grayson to do it, then so can I, by God! If you'll let me, of course."

Bold on the critical lines.

And Warner Caslet takes his irrevoccable steps...

Yep, that's certain to get Rose. You'll hear about it I'm sure. Gentlemanly thing to do would've been to send her a bouquet of white Roses, made from tissue. :D

Kind of touched me too. I wish Caslet and Yu would've been pardoned or something, now that there's a GA, to at least allow them to return home for visits.

CoG
After they surrendered, Kabweza ordered all four slavers to stand against one of the bulkheads, leaning far forward and forced to support their weight on their hands. That rendered them not quite as helpless as if they’d been handcuffed, but Torch assault troops didn’t carry restraining gear because they weren’t usually given sappy, sentimental orders to take prisoners.

Amaroq and I love the resume lines praising how badass the RMN. I'm beginning to feel likewise about the Torch assault troops.

Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:25 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

CoG
Anton Zilwicki to Yana Tretiakovna...
You're still holding a grudge about the tits aren't you?

Post by cthia   » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:59 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

SoS

Elizabeth after hearing about Terekhov in Monica.
What sort of raw meat do you people feed your cruiser captains, Hamish?

The humor of a Queen.

Post by cthia   » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:53 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

At All Costs
Alfred: I think someone needs a spanking. And not our daughter.
Allison: Oooooh, promise?

Poor little Sally to be must have had many flustering moments growing up around those two. Can't you just hear little honor, "Oh mom thats grotesque?!"

"Why won't you two just get a room?!"

"The entire estate is our room Honor. Even your room sometimes."

"Eww, even grosser. Dad!"

"Whattaya have in mind for me to do Honor, spank her?"

Perhaps Honor stormed out the door during one of these episodes and decided to visit Nimitz' family? She was angry enough to kill a hexapuma! :lol:

Return to Honorverse