Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jonathan_S, ThinksMarkedly and 130 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by Yow   » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Yow
Captain (Junior Grade)

“No, Victor Cachat. You were a spy”

~ToF

Cthia's father ~ "Son, do not cater to the common belief that a person has to earn respect. That is not true. You should give every person respect right from the start. What a person has to earn is your continued respect!"
Post by kenl511   » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:01 am

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

From "Let's Dance!" IFF, or HHA5.

"Don't tell us you're about to order us to protest your orders in writing! Because that would about the most ridiculous thing ever!"

Nairobi to Harrington on Hawkwing.
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:53 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
Sharon Justice to Yuri Radamacher
“Of course we haven’t done that in a while. We haven’t seen each other in…what’s it been, now? More than a T-year.”

“Three hundred and ninety-six standard days. God, I’ve missed you.”

The Honorverse gives new meaning to long distance romances, doesn't it?

Giving rise to such quips as...
"I haven't seen you in a blue moon."

"I haven't seen you in so long, my pimples are now pimps."

"I haven't seen you in so long, I joined a nunnery."

"I haven't seen you in so long, I thought I'd filed a restraining order."

"I've fallen in love with your twin."

It's little wonder military relationships are forever targeted by heat-seeking missiles er Mistresses.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by kenl511   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 am

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

cthia wrote:Cauldron of Ghosts
“Of course we haven’t done that in a while. We haven’t seen each other in…what’s it been, now? More than a T-year.”

It's little wonder military relationships are forever targeted by heat-seeking missiles er Mistresses.

Jody was there when you left......

Dear John letters are a rather long lasting unfortunate institution. Accounts of such are part of the literature across many cultures. Homer, the tales of Arthur and the good old Vikings all have some examples.
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

ken1511 wrote:Jody was there when you left......

Dear John letters are a rather long lasting unfortunate institution. Accounts of such are part of the literature across many cultures. Homer, the tales of Arthur and the good old Vikings all have some examples.

Wow, I never considered the Dear John letters. They're probably on chips in the Honorverse. Therefore, Dear John chips! Gees, can you imagine the whole formality of signing for a chip. Loading it, then getting a "I've run off with the plumber. He was laying more pipe."

Later passages...
Even the Republic of Haven’s stringent rules concerning assignments for its officials were subject to relaxation and modification when married couples were involved.
Marry and have opportunity to spend more time together. But probably get the boring jobs?

The whole subject of marriage had gotten very complicated and thorny since the development of prolong.
But of course, the biological clock is now wound tightly.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:14 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
Sharon.
“I love you dearly, Yuri, but you make the worst coffee this side of a Navy mess hall.”

"That's where I learned to make coffee in the first place."

"I know."

What's he making, mud?

:lol:

Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:26 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Sharon.
“I love you dearly, Yuri, but you make the worst coffee this side of a Navy mess hall.”

"That's where I learned to make coffee in the first place."

"I know."

What's he making, mud?

:lol:

Cauldron of Ghosts
“I know.” She pushed buttons that did mysterious things. “For years, I had a secret belief that the reason we had such a hard time fighting the Manticorans was because of the Navy’s coffee. The deterioration that crap must have produced in the brains of our officers and ratings didn’t bear thinking about.”

Post by cthia   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
The button-pushing ended with a triumphant glissando of flying fingers. Yuri had no idea what she was doing. Programming the heat death of the universe? It was a coffee maker, for God’s sake. What was wrong with letting the gadget’s own computer handle the business?

“And since I got here,” she continued, “my suspicion has been confirmed. I’ve talked to any number of Erewhonese who’ve had Manticoran Navy coffee, and they all swear it’s terrific.”

Her ritual apparently done, Sharon finished tying up her robe and sat down at the kitchen table. “Oh, stop pouting—and have a seat, will you? The coffee will take a few minutes.” Yuri was tempted to respond my coffee gets done in no time at all but wisely restrained himself. As a friend who shared his own insouciant attitude toward making coffee had once said, “Gourmets are subtle and quick to anger.”

This coffee thing is getting hilarious.

My fiancée has this coffee machine, espresso maker, whatever... That looks more like an alien soul snatcher. It appears that a six month course to learn to operate the darn thing is a prerequisite.

The joke goes "If anyone asks you if you'd like a cup of Joe, say no. Joe can taste like anything."

Post by Imaginos1892   » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:25 pm

Imaginos1892
Rear Admiral

cthia wrote:My niece is totally unrated. She is not a part of any club, as she is much too busy with her studies, and my sister wishes to keep her head on straight. And she really detests the iconic chess clock! Like, really! Studying theoretical physics, playing piano, ballet, her research, her programming efforts, etc., etc., etc. Well ...

Her skills get around by word of mouth and players seek her out.

No, the games aren't recorded. That's a condition of my sister, as Tierney has been playing older players since she was nine, and winning. Sis is very much concerned about exposure(safety) of her very young daughter. She doesn't want it well known that she'll be entering college at 13. My sister is really sweating that. All of her brothers and sisters too.

And recording various moves on paper, with players moving at tournament-clock speeds is laughable.

That girl needs a Raspberry Pi! It's a single board computer that's about 2 1/4" x 3 1/2" and costs $35 to $45. Make sure you get the Version 2 Model B:

4-core 900 MHz ARM v7 CPU
VideoCore 4 GPU
1 GB RAM
4 USB 2.0 ports
10/100 base-T Ethernet
HDMI HD video
Analog video
Stereo sound

It also needs:

5V 2A microUSB wall-wart
USB keyboard and mouse
4GB or larger MicroSD chip (I recommend at least 32GB)
TV or monitor with DVI or HDMI input
HDMI or HDMI-DVI cable
A set of stick-on heat sinks is helpful (Kootek, Addicore, etc.)

Everything is available at Amazon.com.

Download NOOBS from http://www.raspberrypi.org, use GParted to prepare the MicroSD, and copy it. Power up, allow it to boot, and choose Raspbian in the installer.

If you need help setting it up I can provide complete instructions, but she may prefer to figure it out herself. Once it's running, install the Synaptic Package Manager:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

...and you can download a whole pile of free programming tools for C, C++, Java, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby and just about anything else she might be interested in.

Wolfram has also made a free version of Mathematica available for the Raspberry.

Some other things I recommend: Emacs, LibreOffice, Leafpad editor, and GIMP.
-----------------
Why can't our celebrities be exceptional people like her? Instead the accolades go to useless creatures like "Kardashians" and Paris Hilton whose only accomplishments are inheriting money and wasting it, or Donald Trump whose only talent is making small fortunes out of large ones. Worse, people actually pay attention to their worthless opinions on subjects they know nothing about.
-----------------
"That's not an argument; that's just contradiction!"
"No it 'tisn't!"
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:43 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Imaginos1892 wrote:
cthia wrote:My niece is totally unrated. She is not a part of any club, as she is much too busy with her studies, and my sister wishes to keep her head on straight. And she really detests the iconic chess clock! Like, really! Studying theoretical physics, playing piano, ballet, her research, her programming efforts, etc., etc., etc. Well ...

Her skills get around by word of mouth and players seek her out.

No, the games aren't recorded. That's a condition of my sister, as Tierney has been playing older players since she was nine, and winning. Sis is very much concerned about exposure(safety) of her very young daughter. She doesn't want it well known that she'll be entering college at 13. My sister is really sweating that. All of her brothers and sisters too.

And recording various moves on paper, with players moving at tournament-clock speeds is laughable.

That girl needs a Raspberry Pi! It's a single board computer that's about 2 1/4" x 3 1/2" and costs $35 to $45. Make sure you get the Version 2 Model B:

4-core 900 MHz ARM v7 CPU
VideoCore 4 GPU
1 GB RAM
4 USB 2.0 ports
10/100 base-T Ethernet
HDMI HD video
Analog video
Stereo sound

It also needs:

5V 2A microUSB wall-wart
USB keyboard and mouse
4GB or larger MicroSD chip (I recommend at least 32GB)
TV or monitor with DVI or HDMI input
HDMI or HDMI-DVI cable
A set of stick-on heat sinks is helpful (Kootek, Addicore, etc.)

Everything is available at Amazon.com.

Download NOOBS from http://www.raspberrypi.org, use GParted to prepare the MicroSD, and copy it. Power up, allow it to boot, and choose Raspbian in the installer.

If you need help setting it up I can provide complete instructions, but she may prefer to figure it out herself. Once it's running, install the Synaptic Package Manager:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

...and you can download a whole pile of free programming tools for C, C++, Java, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby and just about anything else she might be interested in.

Wolfram has also made a free version of Mathematica available for the Raspberry.

Some other things I recommend: Emacs, LibreOffice, Leafpad editor, and GIMP.
-----------------
Why can't our celebrities be exceptional people like her? Instead the accolades go to useless creatures like "Kardashians" and Paris Hilton whose only accomplishments are inheriting money and wasting it, or Donald Trump whose only talent is making small fortunes out of large ones. Worse, people actually pay attention to their worthless opinions on subjects they know nothing about.
-----------------
"That's not an argument; that's just contradiction!"
"No it 'tisn't!"

The raspberry PI is a neat little device. I ordered dozens of the things for experimentation when they first came out. My niece has about a dozen herself. Tierney is a tinkerer of the third kind - very close encounters. She connected one to a robotic system she purchased from Japan and you won't believe its capabilities. She still uses one that she interfaced to her telescope system, that continuously tracks whatever she wants in space. She got hooked on chatterbots and has created her own. She has mimicked her own voice. Upon entering her room, you hear her speak. It gives my sister the damn creeps.

But she's way beyond a Raspberry PI. Her programming skills greatly exceeds the potential of a raspberry. We're both Linux users. The raspberry uses Linux, as you've indicated. No thanks on Mathematica though. We use our own personal CAS system. Mathematica is too limiting.

Tierney is entering college this year. But she'll be living at home. Her computer needs have greatly surpassed the raspberry for certain. Tierney's room is being prepped in anticipation for her own Cray XC30-AC. The resting place of a Cray has special needs. I can't wait until she gets it. So she'll leave mine alone! They're a half million dollar systems, but much cheaper than the 18M dollar unit I was eyeballing and drooling over years ago. And the design is much simpler. I'm loving it! It's instrumental in my research. Although it isn't churning out my work as fast as I'd hoped, though it's not surprising. But it is churning, whereas other computers in parallel can't begin to deliver. My publishing depends on this Cray.

Tierney has needs of her own. My sister can't stop her, although she's leery of her daughter creating something that'll take over Earth. :lol:

Anyways, She has earned her own money and can very much afford to buy it herself, although I'm buying it for her as a graduation gift, and to prevent her from spending her own cash.

By the way. Although she implements several personally tailored OS's on the PI, she has always been very fond of RISC ... on the PI. I'm in awe of her RISC skills.

She has designed her own personal OS - for a super computer. Parallel programming - "I can't wait to take it for a spin, Uncle!"

She's interested in this as a hobby.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems

The Cray
http://money.cnn.com/2013/05/07/technol ... index.html

Return to Honorverse