Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], tlb and 99 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by cthia   » Mon May 11, 2015 8:44 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

cthia wrote:Cauldron of Ghosts
Yuri.
Truth be told, he preferred her hair longer. But that was an age-old tug of war between men and women that men invariably lost once a relationship congealed. Yuri might not be the sharpest pencil in the box when it came to romantic relationships, but he wasn’t obtuse enough to venture into that mine field.

Oh my gosh! I personally think women use their hair as a vehicle to end a relationship that they've grown weary of.

"I know. I'll cut my hair. Then he'll dump me. 'Oops, look what I did.'" Always the same.

Gemma and I have an agreement. There will be NO hair cutting! NO piercings. And NO tattoos!

Other than the piercing of my heart. :D

Greentea wrote:
Actually, its more like "phew I snagged him. Now I can get rid of this massive, hot amount of hair and be able to be cool comfortable, and not spend >30 min a day doing my hair." It's the equivalent of giving up shaving regularly for guys after they get a girl.

:lol:

Drats girl! Now you've gone and given me cause to pause. I'm going to have a late stage meeting with Gemma and show her this post.

Greentea, you have to admit that that's a little... irresponsible. Because if you then catch him in bed with a longhaired beauty, the first thing you cannot scream is "How can you do this to me, why are you in bed with this, this longhaired sl-t?"

A woman has a right to do whatever she wants with her hair. But a spouse has a right to marry what he is attracted to and has a right to expect certain things not to change that are of the spouse's control. So, the cards and scissors should go on the table before marriage. :roll: Same for cigarettes. I have never dated a woman who smokes. Not a chance.

You are willing to sweat it out to catch a man. But not to keep him?

My brothers and I are always clean shaven. The women in our lives - sisters, nieces, Aunts, etc. etc. do not tolerate hugs and kisses full of prickly sticks. No way Jose! Gemma loves that!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Sat May 16, 2015 10:37 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
Startled, Cathy looked at Anton Zilwicki. “You told me he was a rabid republican.”

“I said no such thing. ‘Rabid’ means raving; slavering with fury; downright witless. Victor neither raves nor slavers and he certainly isn’t witless. Setting that aside, yes, he’s a republican. Sort of the way polonium is radioactive.”

:lol:

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by George J. Smith   » Wed May 20, 2015 11:14 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

Not sure if this has been mentioned before

From Torch of Freedom

Jeremy X's notions concerning "the laws of war" and the proper rules governing the treatment of POWs would have met with the approval of Attila the Hun. And while Berry Zilwicki might have squelched Jeremy, she wasn't going to squelch Saburo.He started every interrogation by placing a holopic between himself and the person being interrogated. "Her name was Lara. And her ghost really, really, really wants you to tell me everything you know. Or her ghost is going to get really, really, really peeved."
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by cthia   » Wed May 20, 2015 1:14 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned before

From Torch of Freedom

Jeremy X's notions concerning "the laws of war" and the proper rules governing the treatment of POWs would have met with the approval of Attila the Hun. And while Berry Zilwicki might have squelched Jeremy, she wasn't going to squelch Saburo.He started every interrogation by placing a holopic between himself and the person being interrogated. "Her name was Lara. And her ghost really, really, really wants you to tell me everything you know. Or her ghost is going to get really, really, really peeved."

I haven't read Torch of Freedom yet, but this passage ensures that I will.

Post by timmopussycat   » Thu May 21, 2015 9:49 am

timmopussycat
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:
George J. Smith wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned before

From Torch of Freedom

I haven't read Torch of Freedom yet, but this passage ensures that I will.

You are in for a treat!
Post by cthia   » Sat May 23, 2015 2:30 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

I will broadcast the transponder here. It hails from the star system of Cauldron of Ghosts. But I won't bother saying who it is regarding, 'cause I'm sure that much is obvious. These two are far more well known than even the actors and actresses and singers that only require one name -- a first name. Like Madonna, Rihanna, Cher, Beyonce, Adele...

Well, the identity of these two can be determined without any name. Which is ironic, considering their profession.
As partnerships go, I think the two of them are the most capable pair of spies the galaxy’s produced in a long, long time.

Post by cthia   » Tue May 26, 2015 12:04 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

One of the most recognized military jargon phrases to me and a fitting one-liner is delivered by...
Angela Earnhardt was a Manticoran citizen and a member of the Royal Manticoran Navy.

In 1900 PD, she was assigned to the light cruiser HMS Fearless as a part of the engineering team. She was trapped under debris in First Battle of Basilisk, and was later killed in that same battle.
Santos had just come skidding to a halt, anxious because a fusion bottle was about to let go...
"How bad are you hurt, Earnhardt?" Santos was already reaching for the backup computers as she spoke.

"I'm not hurt at all, damn it!" Earnhardt snapped. She sounded far more angry than afraid. "I just can't get out from under this thing!"

"Well, sit tight, and I'll do what I can in a minute," Santos said absently, her gloved fingers already feeding commands into the computers. "I've got other things on my mind right now."

And one of the most recognized military one-liners to me...

"Fucking A," Earnhardt agreed hoarsely, and Santos managed a strained grin.

Now if I only knew, for sure, what it means. And perhaps a little etymology, pun or 'bit of tid.' (My niece likes saying bit of tid instead of tidbit. It's catchy.)

Anyways, I've always pondered over this jargon and have been meaning to research it but always forget to. I'm at work and DON'T want to google anything with this particular four letter word. (I can guess with a high degree of accuracy what kind of 'hits' I'll get back. I attempted once and got this site, but it doesn't feature my 'APB.' (Although it does feature many other puzzling mil-spec jargon.) Not going to push my luck with another search. I'm sitting at a computer with a 52" screen and I don't want XXX pervs from searches flashing on the screen.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix: ... tary_slang

Edit:
My lab assistants have just gone out for lunch. Being free to search now, yields...

As a layman, what I thought it meant was about the same as this...
fucking A:

•Great, excellent, cool, awesome!
"That chick digs me."
" Fucking A!"

But I knew it probably had a specific military etymology as as follows...

interjection:
⦁ shortened form of "⦁ fucking affirmative". Originated in US army.
Guy 1: That's a hot woman over there.

Guy 2: Fuckin A.

⦁ exclamation of surprise or alarm.
Fucking-A!

Post by cthia   » Wed May 27, 2015 1:39 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

On Basilisk Station
Ten more minutes before she could return fire with any realistic hope of a hit, and her forward magazines held less than sixty missiles. She couldn't waste them hoping for a lucky hit as Sirius was doing, and she cursed Lady Sonja Hemphill with cold and silent venom.

Every time I read this line, I can see it in my head...

"I am going to live through this, just so's I can give that bitch a piece of my mind!"

And she did. And she did.

Post by Tail Twitcher   » Sat May 30, 2015 5:06 am

Tail Twitcher
Lieutenant (Junior Grade)

I've just started rereading the Saganami books and this made me laugh again:

Nordbrandt says in The Shadow of Saganami:

"The fact that a bunch of stupid sheep voluntarily walk into a wolf’s lair behind a Judas goat doesn’t make the wolf any less of a carnivore."
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:39 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Must correct a serious omission...

Flag In Exile
"Jesus Christ!" Shannon Foraker gasped, and a small, numb corner of Citizen Commander Caslet's brain observed that she'd just spoken for him.

Boy does absolute power corrupt absolutely.

Return to Honorverse