Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 143 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:31 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
Yuri.
Truth be told, he preferred her hair longer. But that was an age-old tug of war between men and women that men invariably lost once a relationship congealed. Yuri might not be the sharpest pencil in the box when it came to romantic relationships, but he wasn’t obtuse enough to venture into that mine field.

Oh my gosh! I personally think women use their hair as a vehicle to end a relationship that they've grown weary of.

"I know. I'll cut my hair. Then he'll dump me. 'Oops, look what I did.'" Always the same.

Gemma and I have an agreement. There will be NO hair cutting! NO piercings. And NO tattoos!

Other than the piercing of my heart. :D

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:54 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Cauldron of Ghosts
Sharon Justice..
You used to launder money and now you’re laundering superdreadnaughts.”

It seems to be lots of this going on in the Honorverse. Is it easier to launder, because of distances and the way of banking?

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by saber964   » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:27 pm

saber964
Admiral

cthia wrote:Cauldron of Ghosts
Sharon Justice..

It seems to be lots of this going on in the Honorverse. Is it easier to launder, because of distances and the way of banking?

Erewon was founded by gangsters who laundered money and for a jab at the rest of the universe they named things after appliance brands. Namely Sears, Maytag and Whirlpool. I wouldn't be surprised that there are names like Frigidaire, Kelvenator and Montgomery-Wards floating around.
Post by stewart   » Mon May 04, 2015 12:10 am

stewart
Captain of the List

saber964 wrote:"cthia"]Cauldron of Ghosts
Sharon Justice..

Erewon was founded by gangsters who laundered money and for a jab at the rest of the universe they named things after appliance brands. Namely Sears, Maytag and Whirlpool. I wouldn't be surprised that there are names like Frigidaire, Kelvenator and Montgomery-Wards floating around.[/quote]

-------------

Don't forget the Suds

-- Stewart
Post by stewart   » Mon May 04, 2015 12:17 am

stewart
Captain of the List

Any of Michael Oversteegan's comments on the mental capacity of his cousins and others in the Conservative Party,
The early classic line (full paragraph)

"I will leave out of all this the petty consideration that we're talkin' about the life of a teenage girl. I realize that's a matter beneath your contempt. I will just take the opportunity t' tell you, since I don't believe I've ever done it before at one of our family gatherin's—not precisely, I mean—just how brainless you are, Deborah. Truly brainless. Not simply stupid. Bar-ain-less. As in: brains of a carrot."

there are multiple others of course, but this is the basic classic.

-- Stewart
Post by Roguevictory   » Mon May 04, 2015 3:52 am

Roguevictory
Captain of the List

stewart wrote:Any of Michael Oversteegan's comments on the mental capacity of his cousins and others in the Conservative Party,
The early classic line (full paragraph)

"I will leave out of all this the petty consideration that we're talkin' about the life of a teenage girl. I realize that's a matter beneath your contempt. I will just take the opportunity t' tell you, since I don't believe I've ever done it before at one of our family gatherin's—not precisely, I mean—just how brainless you are, Deborah. Truly brainless. Not simply stupid. Bar-ain-less. As in: brains of a carrot."

there are multiple others of course, but this is the basic classic.

-- Stewart

Wow poor carrots. While I like them I could understand Oversteegan not liking them but isn't comparing their intelligence to that of the average Star Empire Conservative Party member a little too harsh?
Post by Hutch   » Mon May 04, 2015 7:36 am

Hutch
Vice Admiral

Roguevictory wrote:Wow poor carrots. While I like them I could understand Oversteegan not liking them but isn't comparing their intelligence to that of the average Star Empire Conservative Party member a little too harsh?

I'm sure the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Vegetables (SPCV) will be issuing a comdemnation any time now....

That said, I need to post on the passages thread Michael's first indication (at Catherine's party) that Kevin Ushers' statement "The map is not the territory; the man is not the file" is so true in his case.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by cthia   » Mon May 11, 2015 10:07 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

In Enemy Hands
"Before we continue this discussion, My Lord," Honor said very calmly, "I think you should know that the person who wrote the Board's final recommendations was me."
What you talkin' 'bout Willis! :lol:

White Haven closed his mouth with a snap and stared at her.

In other words, "Bitch, you done lost yo mind!? :lol:

I love these one-liners. They are so funny. Boy did White Haven not see that one coming. This is the day it became glaringly obvious - the student had become the master.

You know, it is just now sinking into my thick skull regarding the ramifications of Honor's stint at the Weapons Development Board. Essentially, Honor spent some time as Hemphill's protégé, under Hemphill's wing, doing the same job, at least in a consultative fashion, as Shannon and Sonja?

Damn does Lady Harrington have a lot of hats in her closet. If she could get away, could you imagine Honor as Shannon and Sonja's brainstorming guru at Bolthole?

Post by DDHvi   » Mon May 11, 2015 3:19 pm

DDHvi
Captain (Junior Grade)

Imaginos1892 wrote:Why can't our celebrities be exceptional people like her? Instead the accolades go to useless creatures like "Kardashians" and Paris Hilton whose only accomplishments are inheriting money and wasting it, or Donald Trump whose only talent is making small fortunes out of large ones. Worse, people actually pay attention to their worthless opinions on subjects they know nothing about.

This kind of person would be wasted as a celebrity of the type we have at present. The media wants excitement, not depth.

This type of person is also why a real free economy works much better. Can you imagine some big shot trying to judge whether her work is worth supporting - and getting it right :?: :lol: But once genius has done the breakthrough, most of the rest of us can carry on - given the chance to do so.
Douglas Hvistendahl
Retired technical nerd
ddhviste@drtel.net

Dumb mistakes are very irritating.
Smart mistakes go on forever
Unless you test your assumptions!
Post by Greentea   » Mon May 11, 2015 6:32 pm

Greentea
Commander

cthia wrote:Cauldron of Ghosts
Yuri.
Truth be told, he preferred her hair longer. But that was an age-old tug of war between men and women that men invariably lost once a relationship congealed. Yuri might not be the sharpest pencil in the box when it came to romantic relationships, but he wasn’t obtuse enough to venture into that mine field.

Oh my gosh! I personally think women use their hair as a vehicle to end a relationship that they've grown weary of.

"I know. I'll cut my hair. Then he'll dump me. 'Oops, look what I did.'" Always the same.

Gemma and I have an agreement. There will be NO hair cutting! NO piercings. And NO tattoos!

Other than the piercing of my heart. :D

Actually, its more like "phew I snagged him. Now I can get rid of this massive, hot amount of hair and be able to be cool comfortable, and not spend >30 min a day doing my hair." It's the equivalent of giving up shaving regularly for guys after they get a girl.
Cup of tea? Yes, please.

Return to Honorverse