Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 138 guests

Honorverse favorite one-liners

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Honorverse favorite one-liners
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:58 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Also inconspicuously tardy...

Flag in Exile
Yet five of her six ships had survived—a testimonial, she thought with infinite bitterness, to the engineers who'd designed and built them, not to the fool who'd led them to the slaughter.

Honor's modesty borders on the insane.

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:04 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Flag in Exile
She'd just destroyed an entire peacetime navy in less than five minutes of actual combat.

:o There are times when I think Honor's actions come dangerously close to war crimes. :lol:

The remnants of Force Alpha were fleeing for their lives...

No shit! Sherlock!
If ever there was a time to flat out haul ass!
Take the safety interlocks off and flee!
Flea so badly that the Orkin convoy chases you!

Son, your mother says I have to hang you. Personally I don't think this is a capital offense. But if I don't hang you, she's gonna hang me and frankly, I'm not the one in trouble. —cthia's father. Incident in ? Axiom of Common Sense
Post by timmopussycat   » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:44 pm

timmopussycat
Lieutenant Commander

cthia wrote:Must correct a serious omission...

Flag In Exile
"Jesus Christ!" Shannon Foraker gasped, and a small, numb corner of Citizen Commander Caslet's brain observed that she'd just spoken for him.

A very serious omission indeed. Thank you.
Post by cthia   » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:13 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Shadow of Freedom

Michelle Henke...
The Sollies still might not be prepared to accept that anything as small as a LAC could possibly threaten a capital ship, but if they did think that, and if they attempted to prove it, they’d be sailing into a universe of hurt.

Post by Rincewind   » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:48 pm

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

I couldn't find it, but I think (IIRC) that was 'borrowed' from Winston Churchill, when he was in charge of the British Admiralaty (or was it the Exchuecrer (sp)) just before WW I.

Still a great line.

ETA--Found the reference in Wikipedia:

....The public demanded eight new battleships instead of the four the government had planned for that year. As Winston Churchill put it, “The Admiralty had demanded six ships; the economists offered four; and we finally compromised on eight”.[
[/quote]

In point of fact, just to go off topic, they actually ended up with TEN as the eight, two dreadnoughts, four Orion-class superdreadnoughts & 2 Lion-class battlecruisers did not include the two Battlecruisers paid for by Australia & New Zealand which were added to that year's programme.
Post by Hutch   » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:36 pm

Hutch
Vice Admiral

I've pretty much sworn off this thread, but during my re-read of Storm from the Shadows, I came across a couple of bits:

First, Mike Henke describes someone:

"I realize there are a lot of women in the galaxy, Bernardus, but how many gorgeous, man-eating blondes with Mesan accents, Manpower credit chips, Solly task groups in their back pockets, and a taste for slumming in the vicinity of the Talbott Cluster so they can arrange operations designed to break our kneecaps are there?"

Second, not a one-liner per se, as it is narration, but I just love the way the line flows:

Promptly after which, he had met with a fatal accident named Kyrillos Taliadoros and quietly and completely disappeared.
No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.

What? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom. Sooner or later. BOOM! -LT. Cmdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5
Post by kenl511   » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:47 pm

kenl511
Captain (Junior Grade)

From Obligated Service:

Said to Clare Le Croix by her superior officer.

"As the slogan says; Join the GSN, we'll make a man of you!"
Post by Rincewind   » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:54 am

Rincewind
Captain (Junior Grade)

“We are so screwed,” he said flatly.
Petty Officer 2/C Alan Coker, making what is possibly the most succinct combat report in the Honorverse, rivalling Lyta Alexander's "Captain? They're PISSED!" in Into the Fire episode 6 season 4 of Babylon 5.
Post by cthia   » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:21 pm

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Abigail speaking. No one picked this as a worthy one-liner, but it so is. It so is. And it's incredibly funny.

Storm From the Shadows
In fact, I'd say their hardware is better than their doctrine.

What was that Honor, scare us up a few sandwiches the way this jackass is operating 'cause we've got time for a barbeque?

Post by cthia   » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:05 am

cthia
Fleet Admiral

Another serious oversight of credit for a very loaded one-liner. Loaded, indeed.

At All Costs
"So which way do we go, Madam President?"

Return to Honorverse