Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests

How do you visualize the Honorverse?

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.

How do you visualize the Honorverse?

Tom Clancy-style military-fiction/techno-thriller.
10
34%
Current Sci-fi video game (e.g. Mass Effect).
4
14%
30's and 40's space opera (e.g. Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon).
0
No votes
Other (please describe)
15
52%
 
Total votes : 29

Re: How do you visualize the Honorverse?
Post by jchilds   » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:31 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 am
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada

Oddly enough, I tend to think of it as "Horatio Hornblower in space". :P
Top
Re: How do you visualize the Honorverse?
Post by Uroboros   » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:56 am

Other. While it's definitely in the Clancyish camp with all the details, there's actually a story that makes sense behind all of that.

I find it to be a mix of the remade BSG with a healthy dose of sanity, with the poignancy that Babylon 5 had, minus the bad human acting. (Honestly, the actors they chose for the alien races, loved. Humans, totally awful.) Edit: Human main cast past Season One. Pays to be specific.

It's dramatic, but it's also believable. People do stupid, and say stupid things for what they think is legitimate reasons. I am very glad of how few characters are completely unrelateable. I absolutely was horrified by Nordbrandt and Oscar Saint-Just, but you could see the humanity behind the awful things they did. I don't know how that's going to translate to the screen, but I think it could be done.
Last edited by Uroboros on Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
Re: How do you visualize the Honorverse?
Post by jchilds   » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:56 pm

jchilds
Captain of the List

Posts: 705
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:09 am
Location: Ottawa, ON Canada

Uroboros wrote:I find it to be a mix of the remade BSG with a healthy dose of sanity, with the poignancy that Babylon 5 had, minus the bad human acting. (Honestly, the actors they chose for the alien races, loved. Humans, totally awful.)


Michael O'Hare's performance was severely affected by the paranoid delusions/schizophrenia that onset during the first season.
Top
Re: How do you visualize the Honorverse?
Post by roseandheather   » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:23 pm

roseandheather
Admiral

Posts: 2047
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:39 pm
Location: United Kingdom

jchilds wrote:
Uroboros wrote:I find it to be a mix of the remade BSG with a healthy dose of sanity, with the poignancy that Babylon 5 had, minus the bad human acting. (Honestly, the actors they chose for the alien races, loved. Humans, totally awful.)


Michael O'Hare's performance was severely affected by the paranoid delusions/schizophrenia that onset during the first season.


I have to emphasize this - Michael O'Hare has had a special place in my heart since I first watched Babylon 5, and while I can see the issues O'Hare had - for one thing, he was a stage actor who never got used to working with cameras - the mere fact that he managed to complete the season was a nearly superhuman feat given what he was struggling with. I'm a bit defensive of that man.

That said, I'd have to say that B5 is the closest visual medium I can think of to the Honorverse - it has elements of BSG, of course, but the Honorverse seems to share with B5 the core belief that "All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." There's this inner sense that while we all must endure suffering and loss and no happiness comes without a price, in the end, good will triumph in the end, as long as good men stand up against evil ones.
~*~


I serve at the pleasure of President Pritchart.

Javier & Eloise
"You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley..."
Top
Re: How do you visualize the Honorverse?
Post by Spacekiwi   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:25 am

Spacekiwi
Admiral

Posts: 2634
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:08 am
Location: New Zealand

Sort of a future version of war and peace.

Its not just about the characters, but about the world around them as well, and its a giant epic spanning years, not just days or weeks per book. it has the depth in time, in characters, and in story that could allow it to become several different shows at once, say a drama about HH dealing with her own people, an action series about her battles, the sci fi of dealing with the new planets and people like grayson, it just has that feeling of being an unfinished epic.
`
Image


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
its not paranoia if its justified... :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Top
Re: How do you visualize the Honorverse?
Post by Lord Skimper   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:54 am

Lord Skimper
Vice Admiral

Posts: 1736
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:49 pm
Location: Calgary, Nova, Gryphon.

Other.

Firefly - Serenity.

Greatly expanded but similar.
________________________________________
Just don't ask what is in the protein bars.
Top
Re: How do you visualize the Honorverse?
Post by NortonIDaughter   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:00 am

NortonIDaughter
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 265
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:09 pm

I'm with the B5 comments, and the Hornblower one. To me, before anything else, it's military SF: uniforms, spaceships, dulce et decorum est, etc.

(Ugh, I read the Honorverse books and Naomi Novik's Temeraire series back-to-back, and I swear "Admiralty" stopped looking like a real word after a while...)
Top
Re: How do you visualize the Honorverse?
Post by Daryl   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:51 am

Daryl
Admiral

Posts: 2966
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:57 am
Location: Queensland Australia

Not extreme future hard SF as in Peter Hamilton, more nearish future Military SF with well developed characters. Follows the true SF tradition of having several significant new technical game changers, then being meticulously consistent afterwards with no hand wavium. The societies are relatively short extrapolations of current ones.

An amalgam of Foundation, Known Space, some Heinlein and other masters.

I personally love it, however wonder about the timeline, as I know that over millennia, computing and hitherto unknown technologies will make societies change much more (if we survive). Honor's world is less different to my grandkids world, than theirs is to that of my youth.

I still am a big fan. A year ago or so I ended up with a
new Honorverse, a new 1632, a new Turtledove, and a new Destroyerman within a week. I tossed a coin for reading order and family thought I'd died.
Top
Re: How do you visualize the Honorverse?
Post by waddles for desert   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:06 pm

waddles for desert
Admiral

Posts: 2414
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:17 pm

Weber alone is like Forester does space.

When Flint joins the party, action wise, it becomes more like Bourne and the better parts of Indiana Jones in space.

It would be interesting to see what the writers of the movie Hannah could do if let loose in the Honorverse. They could write Mesa.
Top
Re: How do you visualize the Honorverse?
Post by Uroboros   » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:19 pm

Uroboros
Captain (Junior Grade)

Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:56 am

I actually had no idea about that. But, O'Hare was not one of the ones I was speaking of; when he left the show I was really surprised, I enjoyed his acting quite a bit. I was speaking of the main human-portrayed cast past season one. Out of all the human actors, he was by far my favorite.

Thank you for telling me, by the way. I've had friends suffer from schizophrenia, and my mother has severe mental disorders. I have a much larger respect for him as an actor.

roseandheather wrote:I have to emphasize this - Michael O'Hare has had a special place in my heart since I first watched Babylon 5, and while I can see the issues O'Hare had - for one thing, he was a stage actor who never got used to working with cameras - the mere fact that he managed to complete the season was a nearly superhuman feat given what he was struggling with. I'm a bit defensive of that man.

That said, I'd have to say that B5 is the closest visual medium I can think of to the Honorverse - it has elements of BSG, of course, but the Honorverse seems to share with B5 the core belief that "All that is required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." There's this inner sense that while we all must endure suffering and loss and no happiness comes without a price, in the end, good will triumph in the end, as long as good men stand up against evil ones.
Top

Return to Honorverse