Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 33 guests

Genies!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Genies!
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:03 am

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

namelessfly wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:One reason that it did is that Duckk knows I was accused of anti-Semitism in a letter to Baen shortly after HotQ came out precisely because the letter-writer reasoned that I had deliberately implied that the Mesans were Jews, based on the name of their planet and their excision of the New Testament. The real reason for the planet name, of course, was to demonstrate how religious fanatics (of any stripe, though I admit it's a tad hard to find a religious fanatic Methodist . . . except where our casserole recipes are concerned, perhaps :lol:) can pervert and steal from the histories of any other religion, as well as their own. And, of course, however terrible we think the Honorverse Masadans are, they don't see it that way.

I trust that my readers at large --- as well as everyone who knows me personally --- realizes just how ridiculous that charge actually was, but I suspect Duckk's a bit protective of me.

IIRC correctly, I had merely used the identification of the Masadans as Jewish as a sarcastic comment in response to other forum members using the Graysons as a metaphor for how backwards and evil Christains are. As Weber illustrated so eloquently with the scene of Admiral Corvorsair (spelling?) having dinner with Admiral Yanakov, there were compelling reasons why Grayson society imposed such severe restrictions on it's women. Given the demographic realities resulting from the ecological trap the planet was, the Grayson colony would not have survived if social conventions that compelled women to devote themselves to being wives and mothers. As I have pointed out in various posts, the extremely high fetal and infant mortality rate on Grayson makes it far more difficult than people realize to maintain a positive, population growth rate. The short story OBLIGATED SERVICE reveals that infertility is big problem on Grayson (exposure to heavey metals causes sterility, who would have thunk it). Given this reality, the societal expectations that the women who are FERTILE and who can find husbands who can SUPPORT them and are also FERTILE should devote their lives to having babies rather than careers was perfectly reasonable. The primary evil was not respecting the critical role that Grayson women played as wives mothers. The two dinner scenes with Yanakov then Protector Benjamin revealed that Grayson culture was in fact not as mysogynistic as Manticorans presumed. Grayson's rapid, cultural revolution in response to the new opportunities enabled by modern technology and medical care confirms that Grayson was far more enlightened than it appeared.

Nameless, in case there's any confusion, no one --- least of all me --- is accusing you of accusing me of anti-Semitism, and I don't see anything anti-Semitic in any of your posts which I've read, either. Like certain other areas of life and society these days, this can be something of a minefield, though. It's far, far, far too easy to end up labeled "anti-Whatever," when, in fact, you are none of the above.

My Dad was a pretty hard left Chicago-born and raised Democrat for his entire life, which led to some interesting table discussions, and also taught me the virtue of always assuming your opponent in a debate or in a political campaign is (a) human, (b) sincere, and (d) reasonably intelligent even if he does have the ineffably bad judgment to disagree with you. :) But I remember him, one day a few years before his death, sitting at my dining room table with this saddened and bemused expression wondering what had happened to his country not because of anything anyone on the right had done but because a local newspaper columnist (with whom, by the way, my dad differed pretty profoundly philosophically) was being hounded by the PC police for an honestly expressed opinion which was neither racist nor misogynist yet was being attacked as both. It works both ways and from both sides of the intolerance divide, too. I was angry when Guns and Ammo magazine (which I read) dropped Dick Metcalf, one of its longest running columnists for daring to suggest that even constitutionally guaranteed rights might, perhaps, be subject to a degree of regulation. I happen to be pretty darn rabid about the 2nd Amendment, and I don't agree with one of Metcalf's fundamental arguments --that the language of the 2nd Amendment, by referring to a "well regulated militia," specifically endorses regulation of gun ownership and use by private citizens. It's pretty evident to me that "well regulated" in this instance is referring to the nature of the militia organization and its state of training, legal powers, and limitations, etc. But just because I don't agree with every jot and tittle of what he wrote doesn't mean he didn't perform a valuable service by writing it, for God's sake! If we can't even debate the ideas --- even stupid ideas (which, BTW, I'm not saying his was, even if I have reservations about his logic) --- how the hell are we ever going to reach consensus (or at least majority agreement) on anything?

Oops. Rant off.

[steps off soap box scratching head and wondering where it came from in the first place. walks off whistling with hands in pockets.

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by kzt   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:09 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:But just because I don't agree with every jot and tittle of what he wrote doesn't mean he didn't perform a valuable service by writing it, for God's sake! If we can't even debate the ideas --- even stupid ideas (which, BTW, I'm not saying his was, even if I have reservations about his logic) --- how the hell are we ever going to reach consensus (or at least majority agreement) on anything?

That is due to the nature of what "compromise" amounts to in this context. When has it meant anything less then just one side surrendering something? For example, when was the last time that an anti-gun group suggested getting rid of the Hughes amendment in exchange for anything? It's explicitly always an incremental long game to them that ends with a total ban on weapons outside of the government and military. As someone one said, "I saw a movie about a place where the government had a monopoly on violence, it was called 'Schindler's List'". You simply cannot negotiate with people who negotiate in bad faith.

The way this is prevented is by making people who want to negotiate pay a very large price. Like S&W being sold at fire sale prices after the boycott, the company running SHOT getting fired after their "Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show" collapsed, Congressmen Castle having an opportunity to seek work in the private sector, or columnists like Zumo or Metcalf having an opportunity to seek other employment.
http://www.pagunblog.com/2013/01/07/the ... ur-people/
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:18 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

Can we take this to Politics where this sort of discussion is expected? There are more than enough people who can either support your position there or explain why you are dead wrong. This is not the forum for such debates.

kzt wrote:
runsforcelery wrote:But just because I don't agree with every jot and tittle of what he wrote doesn't mean he didn't perform a valuable service by writing it, for God's sake! If we can't even debate the ideas --- even stupid ideas (which, BTW, I'm not saying his was, even if I have reservations about his logic) --- how the hell are we ever going to reach consensus (or at least majority agreement) on anything?

That is due to the nature of what "compromise" amounts to in this context. When has it meant anything less then just one side surrendering something? For example, when was the last time that an anti-gun group suggested getting rid of the Hughes amendment in exchange for anything? It's explicitly always an incremental long game to them that ends with a total ban on weapons outside of the government and military. As someone one said, "I saw a movie about a place where the government had a monopoly on violence, it was called 'Schindler's List'". You simply cannot negotiate with people who negotiate in bad faith.

The way this is prevented is by making people who want to negotiate pay a very large price. Like S&W being sold at fire sale prices after the boycott, the company running SHOT getting fired after their "Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show" collapsed, Congressmen Castle having an opportunity to seek work in the private sector, or columnists like Zumo or Metcalf having an opportunity to seek other employment.
Post by namelessfly   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:37 pm

namelessfly

PeterZ wrote:Can we take this to Politics where this sort of discussion is expected? There are more than enough people who can either support your position there or explain why you are dead wrong. This is not the forum for such debates.

Runsforcelery started it, but I agree that this debate should be taken to the politics forum. There I can make the argument that since guns are used in almost zero rapes in the US, the historically low rape rates in other countries must be the result of strict penis control. What? Rape rates are surging to an appalling level in certain Scandanavian countries, particularly Sweden? Oh My! But the rapist are almost all muslim immigrants which the Swedish governing class refuses to acknowledge because it is politically incorrect? I consider the fact that the Swedes are willing to quietly acquiesce to their women being anally sodomized to death as confirmation of my argument, but this belongs in politics.
Post by SWM   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:31 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Nameless, that is rude and could be construed as a deliberate violation of the rules. You agreed that the discussion should be taken to another forum, and immediately proceed to make several statements that you yourself say should be on the other forum.

Taking it to another forum means taking it to another forum, not making "just one more statement" before going. Hiding behind a fig leaf by preceding it with the statement that you can follow up in the politics forum is beneath you. You are usually better than that.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by namelessfly   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:43 pm

namelessfly

SWM wrote:Nameless, that is rude and could be construed as a deliberate violation of the rules. You agreed that the discussion should be taken to another forum, and immediately proceed to make several statements that you yourself say should be on the other forum.

Taking it to another forum means taking it to another forum, not making "just one more statement" before going. Hiding behind a fig leaf by preceding it with the statement that you can follow up in the politics forum is beneath you. You are usually better than that.

I was actually trying to illustrate why the discussion belonged on the politics forum by going over the top.

It is interesting that Weber and his protagonists did not hesitate to impose moral judgement on the Masadans for engaging in the same behavior at Blackbird base. It no doubt motivated Donor's deathride defense of Grayson
Post by runsforcelery   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:13 pm

runsforcelery
First Space Lord

PeterZ wrote:Can we take this to Politics where this sort of discussion is expected? There are more than enough people who can either support your position there or explain why you are dead wrong. This is not the forum for such debates.

kzt wrote:That is due to the nature of what "compromise" amounts to in this context. When has it meant anything less then just one side surrendering something? For example, when was the last time that an anti-gun group suggested getting rid of the Hughes amendment in exchange for anything? It's explicitly always an incremental long game to them that ends with a total ban on weapons outside of the government and military. As someone one said, "I saw a movie about a place where the government had a monopoly on violence, it was called 'Schindler's List'". You simply cannot negotiate with people who negotiate in bad faith.

I agree any debate over gun control should be taken to politics. I used it here merely as an example of thought control being imposed and as an example of that control being imposed by a group with whose overall position I find myself in substantive agreement. In other words, as a demonstration that no group --- certainly no political group --- is in a position to portray itself as blameless while accusing its opponents of pressure tactics and attempting to silence opposition.

There! I don't think there was any overtly partisan political posturing in the above. :lol:

"Oh, bother!" said Pooh, as Piglet came back from the dead.
Post by PeterZ   » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:40 pm

PeterZ
Fleet Admiral

runsforcelery wrote:

I agree any debate over gun control should be taken to politics. I used it here merely as an example of thought control being imposed and as an example of that control being imposed by a group with whose overall position I find myself in substantive agreement. In other words, as a demonstration that no group --- certainly no political group --- is in a position to portray itself as blameless while accusing its opponents of pressure tactics and attempting to silence opposition.

There! I don't think there was any overtly partisan political posturing in the above. :lol:

I think disagreements over human rights will be central to the next few stories. What is a right and what is a privilege?

Many of us in the US view our rights as deliniated in our Constitution with enormous jelousy. Those are OURs. We own them and don't want people shorting us by changing those rights without following the Constitutional guideline in full measure. In times past people were subjects of a monarch. Those subjects were granted privileges under the monarchy.

The current novels focus on that very question. Do people have rights or only privileges granted by those in power? Are genetic slaves the owners of any rights at all? Are the products of genetic experiments the owners of any rights or are they the property of those that conducted the experiment like Frankie Simoez was? These questions and how they should be addressed are central to the stories.
Post by Brigade XO   » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:19 am

Brigade XO
Fleet Admiral

Genetic slavery and genetic slaves is a very interesting combination of words. For some time now the topic of owning particular genetic combinations, particularly those created by direct manipulation of living things has been in the news and in fiction. One of Crichton’ (I think) books had a medical company taking a patent on genes taken from a patients body and in the real world Monsanto (among others) holds patents on grain which it had modified (hence the whole GMO plant discussions in the news). Both of these, particularly the Monsanto actual suits and legal wrangling highlight the question of who owns something.
Monsanto claims that it owns the genetic modification that makes the seeds (the GMO ones) it sells. It has patented it. So it sells the seed to people to plant and grow crops. You can buy the seed, grow the crop, harvest it and sell it—for use as food or animal feed or other types on consumption or manufactured products (say, ethanol). What you can’t do is take that grain, stick part of it in your barn and then plant next year instead of buying new seed from Monsanto. Just because Monsanto has a legal filing on the gene(s) it has modified or introduced (and not crossbreeding or selective breeding) they “own” it and you can’t sell the resulting grain for seed.

How is this relevant? Manpower and the Alignment have been making actual (fictional) genetic modifications of the type being done by Monsanto on humans. In the books, Manpower breeds and/or clones the slave lines it creates from these modifications and either uses the products of that breeding/cloning it self or sells it. On Mesa, this creation of genetic slaves and various types of slaves is both legal from the point of doing it as something other than a medical health process but to create property which they own (and then sell) by right of having made unique differences in the organisms they are “creating” and so hold or can hold something similar to a patent on it. The Alignment is making its own laws within its own shadow world and effectively either directly owns all the genetic slaves it produces or the individuals who survive the process in the various “Star Lines” have a range of freedom within the constraints and rules laid down by the Alignment.

Beowulf, Manticore and a wide range of other systems, by policy and law, hold humans as individuals. Where changes have been or are being made for specific (usually environmental or health related) reasons, those changes belong to the people to whom they have been made in the manner of fixing a broken leg- the medical provider doesn’t then own the person as a result of fixing the leg. We will avoid the discussion of OFS and wage slaves or oppressive political systems.
Mesa and the Alignment see the products of their genetic manipulations as just that- products. Or to use a very heavily loaded term- chattel property. They were CREATED as property, they are property and they do not any rights, at best they have some minimal privileges which are totally dependent on the whim of their owners.
Post by lyonheart   » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:24 am

lyonheart
Fleet Admiral

Hi Glyphstone,

Thanks for the complement regarding Graysons being "space Mormons", which seems surprisingly common, and I wonder how often RFC gets that question at cons (I didn't ask at HonorCon because I don't).

I like Graysons a lot and feel quite comfortable with their mentioned doctrines especially regarding tolerance and seeing this life as a test etc (I don't recall any I objected to), but there are some considerable differences I've mentioned before when this has been broached.

The cathedrals are rather ornate and far more catholic in their rituals etc, than you'll ever find at any LDS service in a chapel or meeting house, but feel free to drop by and take a look during the week or on Sunday. ;)

If you're curious, LDS temples are not open on Sunday, mainly doing vicarious service for the dead during the rest of the week, and again please feel free to visit one during the open house after construction is finished or a remodeling. :D

Again, thanks for the complement. 8-)

4 more snippets!

L

TheGlyphstone wrote:
waddles for desert wrote:There is nothing Jewish about The Book of the New Way. The Masadans rejected the New Testament; they did not reject The Book of the New Way.

Given that they adhere to a "Gospel" of a new revelation, you could as well say that they are LDS as Jewish.

They are in fact a creation of DW that postulates how future beliefs may develop in new ways that reflect elements of old ways, but that are new and separate from the old.

Yeah, if we have to (rather pointlessly) pidgeonhole the Graysons/Masadans into a current-day religion, I always took them as Space Mormons.
Any snippet or post from RFC is good if not great!

Return to Honorverse