Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Genies!

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: Genies!
Post by kzt   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:47 am

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Is everyone using Mesa for Masada, or did I miss something about the MA having a theology?
Post by Annachie   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:06 am

Annachie
Fleet Admiral

Lol, to me the masadans were the bad muslim trope of the honorverse.

But, more relevantly, I still maintain that everyone not of the star lines, and probably quite a few who are, are going to be the slaves of the RF's Brave New World. Whether they realise it or not.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so going to die. :p ~~~~ runsforcelery
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
still not dead. :)
Post by Duckk   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:42 am

Duckk
Site Admin

Err, you sure that was me? I don't recall getting involved in any topic like that.
-------------------------
Shields at 50%, taunting at 100%! - Tom Pope
Post by Direwolf18   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:56 am

Direwolf18
Captain of the List

runsforcelery wrote:
One reason that it did is that Duckk knows I was accused of anti-Semitism in a letter to Baen shortly after HotQ came out precisely because the letter-writer reasoned that I had deliberately implied that the Mesans were Jews, based on the name of their planet and their excision of the New Testament. The real reason for the planet name, of course, was to demonstrate how religious fanatics (of any stripe, though I admit it's a tad hard to find a religious fanatic Methodist . . . except where our casserole recipes are concerned, perhaps :lol:) can pervert and steal from the histories of any other religion, as well as their own. And, of course, however terrible we think the Honorverse Masadans are, they don't see it that way.

Meh there is always someone who is ready to be carried on offended for someone else in the name of "social justice", without even bothering to check with the alleged offended. Great recent example is some "sports journalist" I saw going on how Florida State Seminoles winning the national championship is a sham and in insult, a testament of white racism etc. At one point he even ties the national championship game to Blackwater of all things. Completely irregardless of the fact that the Seminole tribe not only gave all sorts of approval, but was involved with the design of the mascot Chief Osceola's costume.
Post by JohnRoth   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:30 am

JohnRoth
Admiral

kzt wrote:Is everyone using Mesa for Masada, or did I miss something about the MA having a theology?

I was wondering the same thing. Masada makes more sense, but that issue doesn't seem to belong in this thread.
Post by biochem   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:25 pm

biochem
Rear Admiral

One reason that it did is that Duckk knows I was accused of anti-Semitism in a letter to Baen shortly after HotQ came out precisely because the letter-writer reasoned that I had deliberately implied that the Mesans were Jews, based on the name of their planet and their excision of the New Testament. The real reason for the planet name, of course, was to demonstrate how religious fanatics (of any stripe, though I admit it's a tad hard to find a religious fanatic Methodist . . . except where our casserole recipes are concerned, perhaps ) can pervert and steal from the histories of any other religion, as well as their own. And, of course, however terrible we think the Honorverse Masadans are, they don't see it that way.

I trust that my readers at large --- as well as everyone who knows me personally --- realizes just how ridiculous that charge actually was, but I suspect Duckk's a bit protective of me.

I really hate dealing with those professionally offended types (why do so many of them wind up in politics to torment the rest of us?). They are so oversensitive to every slight it is impossible to deal with them. I'm sorry that you as a professional writer have to suffer from their deliberate misinterpretations. I suspect it won't be the last time. These guys seem to go out of their way looking to be offended by something and when you look as hard as they do you will eventually find something that can be mischaracterized.

In my personal life I find that 90% of the things that seem offensive are in reality misinterpretations, etc. To bad the professionally offended types don't do the same. It must be very depressing to live life believing that everyone around you is offensive.
Post by namelessfly   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:46 pm

namelessfly

Annachie wrote:Lol, to me the masadans were the bad muslim trope of the honorverse.

But, more relevantly, I still maintain that everyone not of the star lines, and probably quite a few who are, are going to be the slaves of the RF's Brave New World. Whether they realise it or not.

There was never any mention of the Masadans embracing Islam. Their primary theological innovation waste reject the entire New Testimont of the Bible. The Masadans also remimpised a host of dietary codes. Technically, this would make the Masadans Jewish.
Post by blind_pyro   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:03 pm

blind_pyro
Ensign

biochem wrote:I really hate dealing with those professionally offended types (why do so many of them wind up in politics to torment the rest of us?). <snip>

In my personal life I find that 90% of the things that seem offensive are in reality misinterpretations, etc. To bad the professionally offended types don't do the same. It must be very depressing to live life believing that everyone around you is offensive.
Your last paragraph reminds me of the the old saying: Don't attribute to malice what can be blamed on ignorance / stupidity.

To your first paragraph, I think my father said it well: Some people just aren't happy unless they have something to complain about. For many, the reality is that having someone to rail against is good because then they don't have to actually look at themselves too closely.
namelessfly wrote:There was never any mention of the Masadans embracing Islam. Their primary theological innovation waste reject the entire New Testimont of the Bible. The Masadans also remimpised a host of dietary codes. Technically, this would make the Masadans Jewish.
Just following Old Testament dietary codes doesn't make one Jewish. You might reread Annachie's comment; nothing is said about them actually embracing Islam. Rather, it is the standard trope of nutjobs who do what they want (no matter how disgusting) and use their religious text as an excuse for their behavior.
Post by waddles for desert   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:03 pm

waddles for desert
Admiral

There is nothing Jewish about The Book of the New Way. The Masadans rejected the New Testament; they did not reject The Book of the New Way.

Given that they adhere to a "Gospel" of a new revelation, you could as well say that they are LDS as Jewish.

They are in fact a creation of DW that postulates how future beliefs may develop in new ways that reflect elements of old ways, but that are new and separate from the old.
Post by Ferryl   » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:53 pm

Ferryl
Midshipman

Brigade XO wrote:Cattle got the same treatment but managed to avoid the breed-them-stupid-as–pets-or-trophy-possessions routine as have horses. Just looking pretty doesn’t cut it in 1,000 animals if they can’t do anything. Nobody (yet) puts a horse (or a giraffe like that commercial) in their pocket.

I can't say whether it's original or bred into them, but cattle are 1000 lb. of Darwin Award looking to happen. It's probably just a side effect of looking for docility, but it's there.

Return to Honorverse