Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 155 guests

next honorverse book

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: next honorverse book
Post by 61Cygni   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:14 pm

61Cygni
Commander

MaxxQ wrote:
clancy688 wrote:I hope that we'll get the movie in late 2015. Or am I to naive?

Not gonna happen. There isn't even a script yet, as far as we know. No director or actors, either. If they push things, we *might* see the movie by this time of year 2016.

They're still basically in pre-preproduction, where they start hashing out the look of the film, props, decide what can be done in CGI or not, and probably very rough script(s). This is also the stage where *nothing* is set in stone, and is subject to change on an almost daily basis.

BTW, I guess I ought to add that I have no special connections with Evergreen. I know just as much as anyone else here. My statements above are simply guesses based on what little I know about the film industry through behind-the-scenes video on various DVDs.

Also my opinion: I think fall of 2016 is overly optimistic.

RFC said that 2016 is the targeted release year. I think that's quite feasible, as this won't be on the scale of something like a Marvel superhero movie. If much of the movie is CGI and Evergreen does it in-house, then it should go pretty fast compared to building lots of large physical sets and doing location shooting. The one CGI challenge will be Nimitz, but the rest--ships, battles and such--is pretty straightforward.

Again, we don't know what David's involvement with the movie's producion actually entails (he's already been to L.A. once, there may be many more such trips). Even if RFC has the time to write the next mainline Honorverse novel, he and/or Evergreen may want to delay its release until the movie comes out so it could act as an additional promotional tie-in.
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:29 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

61Cygni wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:
Not gonna happen. There isn't even a script yet, as far as we know. No director or actors, either. If they push things, we *might* see the movie by this time of year 2016.

They're still basically in pre-preproduction, where they start hashing out the look of the film, props, decide what can be done in CGI or not, and probably very rough script(s). This is also the stage where *nothing* is set in stone, and is subject to change on an almost daily basis.

BTW, I guess I ought to add that I have no special connections with Evergreen. I know just as much as anyone else here. My statements above are simply guesses based on what little I know about the film industry through behind-the-scenes video on various DVDs.

Also my opinion: I think fall of 2016 is overly optimistic.

RFC said that 2016 is the targeted release year. I think that's quite feasible, as this won't be on the scale of something like a Marvel superhero movie. If much of the movie is CGI and Evergreen does it in-house, then it should go pretty fast compared to building lots of large physical sets and doing location shooting. The one CGI challenge will be Nimitz, but the rest--ships, battles and such--is pretty straightforward.

Again, we don't know what David's involvement with the movie's producion actually entails (he's already been to L.A. once, there may be many more such trips). Even if RFC has the time to write the next mainline Honorverse novel, he and/or Evergreen may want to delay its release until the movie comes out so it could act as an additional promotional tie-in.

Yes, I know that that's the target date. That doesn't mean it's actually going to hit the target. I'm *not* calling RFC a liar, nor Evergreen. I just think that two years is a bit short for something like this, where *everything* needs to be created for the first time - CGI *and* physical sets, props, costumes, and so on. Logistics need to be worked out.

As this seems to be Evergreen's first *major* film, it may take a bit longer than normal to work out all that. I'm not disparaging Evergreen, just being realistic.

After the first film, I have no problem with a 2 year (or less) turnaround for subsequent films, because many of the assets are already there.

Again, only my opinion.
Post by SWM   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:47 pm

SWM
Fleet Admiral

Fall of 2016 is three years, not two years.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by MaxxQ   » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:16 pm

MaxxQ
BuNine

SWM wrote:Fall of 2016 is three years, not two years.

:oops: Okay. Just disregard everything I said. Sheesh... did I really do that? :oops:
Post by KNick   » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:52 am

KNick
Admiral

MaxxQ wrote:
SWM wrote:Fall of 2016 is three years, not two years.

:oops: Okay. Just disregard everything I said. Sheesh... did I really do that? :oops:

Just proves you are only human, rather than an archangel returned from the dead. :lol:
_

Try to take a fisherman's fish and you will be tomorrows bait!!!
Post by jchilds   » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:26 am

jchilds
Captain of the List

Here's hoping we never hit the "We can't publish the next book until we have a good title with the word Honor in it!" barrier...
Post by SWM   » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:46 am

SWM
Fleet Admiral

jchilds wrote:Here's hoping we never hit the "We can't publish the next book until we have a good title with the word Honor in it!" barrier...

Heh, I admit that I have tried my hand at compiling a list of potential titles containing 'Honor'. It would get a bit corny after a while. Fortunately, we don't really have to worry about this becoming a problem. Only half of the "mainline" books and two of the anthologies have 'Honor' in the title. All the others don't.
--------------------------------------------
Librarian: The Original Search Engine
Post by clancy688   » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:03 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

MaxxQ wrote:Not gonna happen. There isn't even a script yet, as far as we know. No director or actors, either. If they push things, we *might* see the movie by this time of year 2016.

First I thought that you're overly pessimistic. But then I went back and searched for clues as to when Odd Lot Entertainment started Ender's Game - they purchased the rights in late 2008. And now the movie's been released. Five years later. When has Evergreen purchased the rights to HH? I think it was somewhere in 2011... plus five years makes it 2016. :/
Post by pokermind   » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:31 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

Getting back to books looks like maybe Timothy Zahn/David Weber's prequil novel(s) The Travis Stories about the plague years and early SKM may be next. see http://forums.davidweber.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4676 in Safehold. And we may see snippets soon:

runsforcelery wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:Whoah, Timothy Zahn is fully entering the Honorverse?
But I didn't think it needed fixing like the Star Wars Expanded Universe did...
Or is he helping to create more ground rules for when even more authors enter the playground?

He's not here to "fix" anything, but I did want to add his perspective to creating the early days of the SKM. I've always had a fairly fully filled in pre-history to the HH-era stories, and with ABF (and the sequels with Jane) I started mining some of that earlier history. Tim, Tom, and I are fleshing out the earlier generations of technology, the social history and development of the SKM, and --- since the Travis stories begin before the discovery of the MWHJ, readers will be able to watch the transition from prosperous but mostly isolated minor star power into massive player on the interstellar stage. I think having Tim help tell that story will give it a different perspective in a lot of ways, while Tom and my participation will insure that the change in perspective is harmonized with the existing stories in a way that some of the anthology entries have not been. Like I say, so far I'm really pleased with what we've done, and so (obviously) is Toni. In fact, she sent us an e-mail after she got the manuscript "thanking" us for an all-nighter while she got clear to the end.

That's usually a pretty good sign, I think.

Hmmmmm . . . maybe a snippet or two from it, too? :idea:

Re-posted for those not reading the Safehold forum.

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Kruhn   » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:04 pm

Kruhn
Commander

runsforcelery wrote:
Michael Everett wrote:Whoah, Timothy Zahn is fully entering the Honorverse?
But I didn't think it needed fixing like the Star Wars Expanded Universe did...
Or is he helping to create more ground rules for when even more authors enter the playground?

He's not here to "fix" anything, but I did want to add his perspective to creating the early days of the SKM. I've always had a fairly fully filled in pre-history to the HH-era stories, and with ABF (and the sequels with Jane) I started mining some of that earlier history. Tim, Tom, and I are fleshing out the earlier generations of technology, the social history and development of the SKM, and --- since the Travis stories begin before the discovery of the MWHJ, readers will be able to watch the transition from prosperous but mostly isolated minor star power into massive player on the interstellar stage. I think having Tim help tell that story will give it a different perspective in a lot of ways, while Tom and my participation will insure that the change in perspective is harmonized with the existing stories in a way that some of the anthology entries have not been. Like I say, so far I'm really pleased with what we've done, and so (obviously) is Toni. In fact, she sent us an e-mail after she got the manuscript "thanking" us for an all-nighter while she got clear to the end.

That's usually a pretty good sign, I think.

Hmmmmm . . . maybe a snippet or two from it, too? :idea:

THAT could tide me over while the great celery runner gets his ducks in a row for the continuing adventures of Lady Dame Honor Stephanie Harrington, Duchess and Steadholder Harrington!

I'm not sure if this is an appropriate topic thread, but the Beginnings and [i}House of Steel[/i] books were fun in providing a good historic background for the Honorverse. I wonder if they will ever do one for the Havenites and Silesians. I can see some Mesan beta testing for their launch of the Rennaisance Factor in taking down these two polities. Hope someone in the Honorverse machine is hearing my pleas! LOL

Return to Honorverse