Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests

next honorverse book

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
Re: next honorverse book
Post by kzt   » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:47 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

clancy688 wrote:First I thought that you're overly pessimistic. But then I went back and searched for clues as to when Odd Lot Entertainment started Ender's Game - they purchased the rights in late 2008. And now the movie's been released. Five years later. When has Evergreen purchased the rights to HH? I think it was somewhere in 2011... plus five years makes it 2016. :/

IIRC, he actually sold an option for some sort of movie/TV script years before that. It never went anywhere, but the check cleared.
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:49 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

clancy688 wrote:
Kruhn wrote:BUT 2016 FOR HONOR HARRINGTON?!?!?!?!? THAT IS TOO MUCH!!!!

I hope that we'll get the movie in late 2015. Or am I to naive?

You are too naïve. They don't even have a full screenplay yet. Figure 2 years from first full screenplay draft to release for a greenlighted, fully funded film. One with largely conventional locations and human actors. Add a year for extensive cgi/special effects.

latter half 2016 at the earliest.

dreamrider
Post by dreamrider   » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:53 pm

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

61Cygni wrote:
MaxxQ wrote:Not gonna happen. There isn't even a script yet, as far as we know. No director or actors, either. If they push things, we *might* see the movie by this time of year 2016.

They're still basically in pre-preproduction, where they start hashing out the look of the film, props, decide what can be done in CGI or not, and probably very rough script(s). This is also the stage where *nothing* is set in stone, and is subject to change on an almost daily basis.

BTW, I guess I ought to add that I have no special connections with Evergreen. I know just as much as anyone else here. My statements above are simply guesses based on what little I know about the film industry through behind-the-scenes video on various DVDs.

Also my opinion: I think fall of 2016 is overly optimistic.

RFC said that 2016 is the targeted release year. I think that's quite feasible, as this won't be on the scale of something like a Marvel superhero movie. If much of the movie is CGI and Evergreen does it in-house, then it should go pretty fast compared to building lots of large physical sets and doing location shooting. The one CGI challenge will be Nimitz, but the rest--ships, battles and such--is pretty straightforward.

Again, we don't know what David's involvement with the movie's producion actually entails (he's already been to L.A. once, there may be many more such trips). Even if RFC has the time to write the next mainline Honorverse novel, he and/or Evergreen may want to delay its release until the movie comes out so it could act as an additional promotional tie-in.

Extensive cgi production generally takes LONGER than set construction/live action, assuming unhampered access to the desired shooting locations and financing is in place.

dreamrider
Post by dreamrider   » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:01 am

dreamrider
Rear Admiral

Kruhn wrote:I'm not sure if this is an appropriate topic thread, but the Beginnings and [i}House of Steel[/i] books were fun in providing a good historic background for the Honorverse. I wonder if they will ever do one for the Havenites and Silesians. I can see some Mesan beta testing for their launch of the Rennaisance Factor in taking down these two polities. Hope someone in the Honorverse machine is hearing my pleas! LOL

Already announced, at the same time that David was talking up House of Steel in interviews last year. Haven and Andermani book next year (probably), House of Lies (??I think??) Mesa and SL book in 2015 (probably), House of Shadows (??I think??)

dreamrider
Post by Kruhn   » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Kruhn
Commander

dreamrider wrote:
Kruhn wrote:I'm not sure if this is an appropriate topic thread, but the Beginnings and [i}House of Steel[/i] books were fun in providing a good historic background for the Honorverse. I wonder if they will ever do one for the Havenites and Silesians. I can see some Mesan beta testing for their launch of the Rennaisance Factor in taking down these two polities. Hope someone in the Honorverse machine is hearing my pleas! LOL

Already announced, at the same time that David was talking up House of Steel in interviews last year. Haven and Andermani book next year (probably), House of Lies (??I think??) Mesa and SL book in 2015 (probably), House of Shadows (??I think??)

dreamrider

That's what happens when I don't read the interveiws! Well that will warm the cockles of my heart while the great celery runner can work his magic with the next installment of the Honor Harrington series.
Post by Starsaber   » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:43 pm

Starsaber
Captain (Junior Grade)

clancy688 wrote:
Kruhn wrote:BUT 2016 FOR HONOR HARRINGTON?!?!?!?!? THAT IS TOO MUCH!!!!

I hope that we'll get the movie in late 2015. Or am I to naive?

I hope not. 2015 is already insanely packed with big name movies. Against competition with established mainstream fanbases like Avengers, Batman/Superman, and Star Wars, Honor of the Queen would probably disappear without a trace. I think 2016 would probably result in higher chances of success.
Post by clancy688   » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:10 pm

clancy688
Captain of the List

Starsaber wrote: I think 2016 would probably result in higher chances of success.

What makes you think that 2016 will be less packed? Because there haven't been as much announcements as for 2015 so far?

I think it doesn't matter as long as you pick a week where no other certain blockbusters are premiering.
Post by Henry Brown   » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Henry Brown
Commodore

pokermind wrote:eARC for Cauldron of Ghosts looks good for December according to Baen's Managing Editor. From Baen's Bar Toni's Table:

Toni Weisskopf Thu, 17 October 2013 17:07 wrote:

That sounds reasonable, but no guarantees.--Toni

Poker

Has anybody seen any updates regarding the E-ARC of "Cauldron of Ghosts?" Is it still a possibility for this month?
Post by namelessfly   » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:38 pm

namelessfly

clancy688 wrote:
Starsaber wrote: I think 2016 would probably result in higher chances of success.

What makes you think that 2016 will be less packed? Because there haven't been as much announcements as for 2015 so far?

I think it doesn't matter as long as you pick a week where no other certain blockbusters are premiering.

With any luck we will get HotQ in the theaters and Palin for POTUS in 2016.

Heck, Willow Palin might even play Honor Harrington.
Post by J6P   » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:45 pm

J6P
Captain (Junior Grade)

Not a chance. Per Honorcon DW interview it wasn't even written yet and he and Eric still had to talk several points out. Maybe January. Though he was "hopeful" it was going to be finished in December. Still has to go through several revisions of proofreading before being released to E-ARC. Though judging by the numerous errors I read in every chapter, I have to wonder what the Heck Baen editors are doing at all.

Return to Honorverse