Topic Actions

Topic Search

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests

next honorverse book

Join us in talking discussing all things Honor, including (but not limited to) tactics, favorite characters, and book discussions.
next honorverse book
Post by loltreecat   » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:38 pm

loltreecat
Midshipman

Hey

I havent been able to find a reference to it in the forum, but maybe im just not searching correctly.. Where can I find info on the next honor harrington book?. These last ones left me really wanting more.
Re: next honorverse book
Post by pokermind   » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:02 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

loltreecat wrote:Hey

I havent been able to find a reference to it in the forum, but maybe im just not searching correctly.. Where can I find info on the next honor harrington book?. These last ones left me really wanting more.

Next schedules is "Cauldron of Ghosts" find info here http://books.simonandschuster.biz/Cauldron-of-Ghosts/Eric-Flint/Crown-of-Slaves/9781476736334 Simon and Schuster print the books for Baen and usually let the relaease date out first (April 2014). Here is the link to Baen Books Schedule see April 2014 http://www.baen.com/schedule.asp. Here's the cover:

Toni at Baen Books noted in a recent post that the eARC electric version should be out in December good lord willing and the creek don't raise, but not a cross my heart and hope to die promise. Enjoy,

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by George J. Smith   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:26 am

George J. Smith
Commodore

pokermind wrote:
loltreecat wrote:Hey
snip

Next schedules is "Cauldron of Ghosts" find info here http://books.simonandschuster.biz/Cauldron-of-Ghosts/Eric-Flint/Crown-of-Slaves/9781476736334 Simon and Schuster print the books for Baen and usually let the relaease date out first (April 2014). Here is the link to Baen Books Schedule see April 2014 http://www.baen.com/schedule.asp. Here's the cover:

Toni at Baen Books noted in a recent post that the eARC electric version should be out in December good lord willing and the creek don't raise, but not a cross my heart and hope to die promise. Enjoy,

Poker

CoG is part 3 of the Crown of Slaves series.
The "blurb" on the publishers sites mention that most of the action in CoG is in and around Mesa.

SoF is part 3 of the Shadow of Saganami series.
Most of the action in SoF is in the Talbot Quadrant and the Sollie verge systems.

When are we going to get the continuation of ART?
i.e. what happens in the Beowulf system and where is the other Sollie fleet?

T&G
GJS
T&R
GJS

A man should live forever, or die in the attempt
Spider Robinson Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (1977) A voice is heard in Ramah
Post by Werrf   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 am

Werrf
Vice Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:When are we going to get the continuation of ART?

We have no information at this time. It has been hinted that a large part of the delay has been due to the difficulty of getting Eric Flint and David Weber together long enough to write Cauldron of Ghosts, which needed to be done to set the ground for whatever happens after Rising Thunder. If that's the case, then the publication of Cauldron is definitely a positive step.
Post by munroburton   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:32 pm

munroburton
Admiral

George J. Smith wrote:
CoG is part 3 of the Crown of Slaves series.
The "blurb" on the publishers sites mention that most of the action in CoG is in and around Mesa.

SoF is part 3 of the Shadow of Saganami series.
Most of the action in SoF is in the Talbot Quadrant and the Sollie verge systems.

When are we going to get the continuation of ART?

T&G
GJS

It's not as clear-cut as that. I've seen suggestions that CoG may weave in the loose threads of SoF's end - ie, 10th Fleet's arrival at Mesa. If so, we may also see at least a little bit of main-stage action, depending on when in the book 10th Fleet does its bit - because it'll only take a few weeks for them to contact Manticore starting from Mesa and using two wormholes.

We'll probably see how affairs in the Maya sector are progressing too. Erewhon, Torch and Barregos' faction, plus any Mesan or Solly problems.
Post by kzt   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:33 pm

kzt
Fleet Admiral

Werrf wrote:We have no information at this time. It has been hinted that a large part of the delay has been due to the difficulty of getting Eric Flint and David Weber together long enough to write Cauldron of Ghosts, which needed to be done to set the ground for whatever happens after Rising Thunder. If that's the case, then the publication of Cauldron is definitely a positive step.

It's been said that David is not under contract for any honorverse books at this time. I have no idea as to the truth of that, but that's what I've heard.

Professional writers typically live on advances. David has a lot of expenses due to kids, medical costs and family, and I understand that Tor pays a LOT better then Baen. So it might be a while.
Post by drothgery   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:29 pm

drothgery
Admiral

kzt wrote:Professional writers typically live on advances. David has a lot of expenses due to kids, medical costs and family, and I understand that Tor pays a LOT better then Baen. So it might be a while.
I think Toni mentioned at the Bar that Tor doesn't really pay a lot better than Baen for David Weber (someone who's not Baen's best draw might be another story). Also, it looks like David has never learned to turn down good offers, and once a contract is signed, a book must be written.
Post by JohnRoth   » Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:57 pm

JohnRoth
Admiral

Factoring in a comment from Eric Flint on the Bar that got reposted here, Cauldron of Ghosts will see Admiral Henke arrive at Mesa, but will not see her actually dealing with the snakepit, or at least dealing with it very much. In other words, CoG is a direct sequel to Shadow of Freedom as well as being a sequel to Torch of Freedom.

David has said he does not regard the Honorverse books as three distinct series; he's writing them as the story wants to be written, and if that requires one, two or three books in a particular time frame, so be it.

It looks like Cauldron of Ghosts can be independent of what's happening in the rest of the Honorverse up to about two weeks after Henke arrives in Mesa, possibly longer if Visigoth won't cooperate in letting diplomatic couriers through. That's the maximum time before news gets to the Mandarins assuming that Visigoth is on the opposite side of Beowulf from Earth.

In other words, I'm assuming (and you know how much salt to take this with) that CoG goes through September 1922, possibly early October 1922 in the Honorverse, and that there will be a separate book that carries the Haven Sector - Earth part of the conflict forward.

I'm also assuming, given the massive coordination problems between David and Eric that has slowed down the series, that this will be Eric Flint's last book in the Honorverse. David is already disentangled from the main spine of Eric's 1632 series. That doesn't mean we won't see more of the activity in the Maya sector - I think that's always been David's part, not Eric's.

As far as David not having a contract for the rest of the series, this is the first I've heard of that. The last I heard he's working on another book in the War God series that doesn't involve Bahzell or the rest of the usual crew. Now that CoG is turned in and in the publication pipeline, I expect (read: hope) that things will start moving a bit faster.
Post by pokermind   » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:45 pm

pokermind
Fleet Admiral

eARC for Cauldron of Ghosts looks good for December according to Baen's Managing Editor. From Baen's Bar Toni's Table:

Toni Weisskopf Thu, 17 October 2013 17:07 wrote:

That sounds reasonable, but no guarantees.--Toni

Lunan wrote:i have no idea if eric has even turned this in yet, but am i correct in thinking that we should see this around december?

Poker
CPO Poker Mind Image and, Mangy Fur the Smart Alick Spacecat.

"Better to be hung for a hexapuma than a housecat," Com. Pang Yau-pau, ART.
Post by Lunan   » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:19 pm

Lunan
Captain of the List

Toni just gave us this info
"I don’t think David’s schedule can ever be described as “light.” We don’t have a projected pub date for the next Honor solo. The first of the Travis Long Cycle will be out in October next year. And, btw, it’s great.

--Toni

From: tonis_table-bounces@bar.baen.com [mailto:tonis_table-bounces@bar.baen.com] On Behalf Of Lunan
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:08 PM
To: tonis_table@bar.baen.com
Subject: [Baen Toni's Table] Status of Future Honorverse books?

Toni, there are concerns popping up on Davids website forums about the future of Honorverse books."

Return to Honorverse